Rules of the game - How to successfully make the game more open and attacking?

Remove this Banner Ad

To summarise, these are the best ideas they could come up with?

- 6 players have to be in front of the ball at every centre bounce
- An extended goal square to allow kick ins to go further
- Kick ins have to go further than 25m
- Players aren't allowed to pick the ball up off the ground (?!)

The AFL really have got the brightest minds working on this!
6 players have to be in front of the ball at every centre bounce:
Just have 2 players in the each team's forward 50 metre arc at all times..

Kick ins have to go further than 25m:
Leave the goal square alone and the rule should be that the kick in must clear the 50 metre arc....Surely they can kick 40 metres?

Players aren't allowed to pick the ball up off the ground (?

WTF?????????????????????

Will the dead rubbers in the last few weeks of the season be used to test the rules package? seems to be the best time. pre season is too late

they should just change percentage to "points for" so more heavily scoring teams will have a natural advantage
This right heat is one of the stupidest ideas I have heard although you didn’t come up with it so not having a go at you. Why should a team that wins by 1 point 145-144 be advantaged over a team that wins by 100 points 135-35? Doesn’t make any sense at all. You still need to defend otherwise the game turns into basketball or aflx.

I agree with the though that enforcing the current rules would be a good start. The amount of dropping the ball/throws that are called play-on are ridiculous. I know it can be hard to judge when the balls in about 7 bodies, but they still call play-on when it's clear to see for all. If you drop the ball or don't do a legit handball it's a free kick. Simple, clears the congestion instantly.

I agree with the smaller interchange to a point. I'd need to see evidence but in theory I agree with it, though I understand where it may go wrong. Players might just get tired and create more congestion just for a rest.

Basketball with all it's shot clocks and transitions is probably the fastest moving and scoring sport in the world... it's also by far the most boring.
This. People wonder why channel 7 are putting pressure on the afl about this. They want more goals, I wonder why? Why do people think American sports have all their time outs and are so stop start? Advertising $. Basketball is such a boring sport as it’s just back and forth scoring, we don’t want our game to turn into this.

When I hear the view expressed that umpires should pay every free that is technically there I shudder that it could become ten times worse. Clearly, if you have rules it helps if they are consistently applied but maybe the game just has too many rules on how the ball can be contested.

Agree with basically your entire post. There's nothing particularly drastic that needs dealing with IMO. On the above I will say that the only way to know would be to try it. It would be awful if one week umpires paid every single technical free kick they could, but if it was consistent and gradual that would potentially be short term pain. Potentially.

T me the testing of theories in practice, implementing correctly is almost as important as the changes.

Some changes over the past years have been dogs breakfasts.

This also means a mechanism to remove rule where they have made things worse. either now or going forward.

Perfect example. The ruck nomination rule

Honestly though most of the problems comes from coaching. The problem with modern coaching is teams are trying to limit how much the opposition scores, as scoring creates momentum and coaches like to control the opposition and the ball. So they put more players behind the ball. This means they score less, meaning they worry more about how much goals they concede, meaning they put in more defensive efforts, and it's just a vicious cycle. None of these solutions will stop two coaches from trying to bottle it up. The same thing happened in soccer which hasn't really undergone that many changes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This might seem weird but going back to 25 minute quarters would allow for more time to score and would probably fatigue teams more meaning more points per minute. Most players can play 25-30 minute quarters pretty easily now.

Honestly though most of the problems comes from coaching. The problem with modern coaching is teams are trying to limit how much the opposition scores, as scoring creates momentum and coaches like to control the opposition and the ball. So they put more players behind the ball. This means they score less, meaning they worry more about how much goals they concede, meaning they put in more defensive efforts, and it's just a vicious cycle. None of these solutions will stop two coaches from trying to bottle it up. The same thing happened in soccer which hasn't really undergone that many changes.

I honestly think it has always been so, we just look backwards with rose coloured glasses. Eg get a couple of goals up and 'hit the boundary line'

Last edited:
I honestly think it has always been so, we just look backwards with rose coloured glasses. EHellog get a couple of goals up and 'hit the boundary line'

Yep.

It's a nonsense anyway saying that the problem with the modern game is Coaches and professional teams trying their hardest to find strategies that allow them to win more often than not - no sh*t. That's what they're paid to do.

I honestly think it has always been so, we just look backwards with rose coloured glasses. EHellog get a couple of goals up and 'hit the boundary line'
Yes. Like coaches can put players anywhere and tell them to do anything; they have the most agency to control how the game is played out of anyone. Umpiring may be inconsistent but it was inconsistent even in the high scoring eras, so I don't buy the idea that it's their fault. And the rules committee have always tinkered. You get coaches willing to win 130-120 and you'll see high scoring games. But modern coaches don't want that, they want to control the opposition and control the ball.

Yes. Like coaches can put players anywhere and tell them to do anything; they have the most agency to control how the game is played out of anyone. Umpiring may be inconsistent but it was inconsistent even in the high scoring eras, so I don't buy the idea that it's their fault. And the rules committee have always tinkered. You get coaches willing to win 130-120 and you'll see high scoring games. But modern coaches don't want that, they want to control the opposition and control the ball.

So the only way to change that is to make it harder for the coaches and the teams to control the ball.

Perhaps a no mark if the ball goes backwards in your teams defensive 50 would help, or no mark full stop if the ball goes backwards.

This right heat is one of the stupidest ideas I have heard although you didn’t come up with it so not having a go at you. Why should a team that wins by 1 point 145-144 be advantaged over a team that wins by 100 points 135-35? Doesn’t make any sense at all. You still need to defend otherwise the game turns into basketball or aflx.

because the fans want to see a 145-144 game more than they want to see a 135-35 game.

Such knee jerk reactions, 12 months ago the 2017 Home and away season was lauded as one of the best and closest on record. Fast fwd 12 months and the game is s**t and the sky is falling in. As caro would say “what a load of tosh”

It might have been the closest on record but it was miles from the best - this again falls the classic BF fallacy that close equals good. There was plenty of threads around last year lamenting the standard of the game despite the fact the ladder was tight.

So the only way to change that is to make it harder for the coaches and the teams to control the ball.

Perhaps a no mark if the ball goes backwards in your teams defensive 50 would help, or no mark full stop if the ball goes backwards.

Maybe. But I can see unintended consequences. If you can't mark a backwards kick in your backline, it may encourage teams to put more players in defence to help with the transition which has been made harder. It's like how the rushed behind rule has meant the ball is in play longer, and sometimes allows for more goals as defenders panic, but ultimately it's meant teams will flood a lot of defenders back to the goal line to help out, meaning the transition to the forwardline is slower.

Honestly, getting rid of the rushed behind rule ould allow for more higher scoring. It would stop teams from flooding the backline to ensure that there's help to ensure teams don't concede a goal (or use a lot of bodies to fake a handpass to a player close to goal to manufacture a "genuine" rushed behind) or and transition with using as many bodies as possible to ensure they don't concede a goal. It would also allow teams to use the rushed behind to use quick counterattacks, you only need one player to purposely rush a behind, so you can rush it and then launch a counterattack fairly quickly, a la Hawthorn in the 2008 grand final.

It just depends what you want. Some people like the scramble not to concede a rushed behind and like the occasional screwup. Others enjoyed the ability to rush a behind then launch an attack.

For as long as I've been following football (early/mid 90s) the mantra has been defence wins premierships. It's just that the vastly superior fitness of players in the modern, fully-professional game, makes it easier to achieve by getting large numbers to contests.

Yep.

It's a nonsense anyway saying that the problem with the modern game is Coaches and professional teams trying their hardest to find strategies that allow them to win more often than not - no sh*t. That's what they're paid to do.

It's not nonsense at all.

Coaches discovered that defence and tackling wins out. And defence and tackling, in excess, is s**t to watch.

Most sports have become more defensive and structured as they mature. Footy's point of difference, in my opinion, is that it emphasizes skill and risk taking over structure and discipline. That's what makes it good to watch. But that seems to be changing

Clarko was onto this in 2016 - possibly earlier.

Fix up incorrect disposal (no prior - knock the ball on if you have to). Less players will commit to the stoppage as players will keep the ball moving quickly.
Umps to throw it in / throw it up a lot quicker. Get rid of ruck nominations & let anyone go up.
Reduce interchange

Remove this Banner Ad

Back