Autopsy vs Geelong - reality check!

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure why all the criticism of Brown, he didn’t have a great game but there aren’t many forwards who would have had an impact with that delivery today. Blicavs was also a really good matchup, tall, quick and has a good leap so Browny didn’t really have as much of the advantage he has over others. And the set up fell apart and theirs was brilliant. Not sure why we persisted with an extra down back wasn’t working for us and allowing them to play spare set up their game.

Would like to see Browny get stronger one on one, but “thin ice” and the rest of the criticism is very, very harsh.

Why then, why then did we not change Maj or Tarrant forward to offer something different? Scott has coached well this year but he has failed to do this in every loss when Brown is ineffectual.
I Was thinking the same re Maj near end of 3rd quarter, ball was getting into forward line numerous times, but no-one there....which rfeminds of seeing Ziebel in forward line, outdone physically & a goal against.... what the hell was Ziebel doing in back-line?

Harsh on Brown. If he's getting smashed 1 on 1, ok. But he was in packs of 8-10 all day today and we know that's not his game.

He did look proppy at training though. Have a rest.

He wouldn't be in packs if he went on a lead.

Both. Because it can be, and it is. The onus is on the guys kicking into meaningless lack of options forward, and Brown needs to stop playing for frees and get ahead of his man. He got towelled up all day. Plain and simple.

He's been s**t for a couple games now, either he's hiding injury or he just doesn't know what to do anymore.
What the hell are you on about.

Missed Waite big time, slow ball movement allowed cats to have 2 on him at all times and crappy transition all day meant he was never going to have a good day.

He’s not Jesus mate, can’t do it all. Let’s hit the bye and get some blokes back.

He wouldn't be in packs if he went on a lead.

Yep, he hasn't lead up at the ball much in the last month.

He was very quiet except for 10 minutes against a Brisbane side we demolished, was very quiet against Femantle on a wide open ground and apart from 20 minutes (where he admittedly dominated and kicked 5 in the 3rd) he was very quiet against GWS.

Needs to lift.

We are but you're also as good as your last game.

The games coming up won't be easy....as won't any other games. And should be treated as much...today hopefully reinforce that in the players minds. Not that today was ever going to be easy.
Yes, there’s no easy games in this competiton, but sometimes you need to have a holistic view of the season when you assess an upcoming game.
Clearly we’ve done this today with resting Waite and Anderson.
Make no mistake, we are a good side this year.
Take the first quarter for instance... we disposed at 50%...50! And we probably should have been in front.

Brown kicked zip, Cunners had a shocker as did Tarrant, also Ziebell really.
That’s four spine plyers who were rubbish and we still weren’t done y 40 plus.
We’re there about mate

Not sure why all the criticism of Brown, he didn’t have a great game but there aren’t many forwards who would have had an impact with that delivery today. Blicavs was also a really good matchup, tall, quick and has a good leap so Browny didn’t really have as much of the advantage he has over others. And the set up fell apart and theirs was brilliant. Not sure why we persisted with an extra down back wasn’t working for us and allowing them to play spare set up their game.

Would like to see Browny get stronger one on one, but “thin ice” and the rest of the criticism is very, very harsh.
Was also too deep which may have been on instruction.

What the hell are you on about.

Missed Waite big time, slow ball movement allowed cats to have 2 on him at all times and crappy transition all day meant he was never going to have a good day.

He’s not Jesus mate, can’t do it all. Let’s hit the bye and get some blokes back.

Then the club needs to stop backing him to do it all, it makes him look bad and as a result he plays like he did nothing. Let me just reiterate that's the part that bothers me. He didn't go for proper leads enough into a contested mark and more often than not played for frees which he was never gonna get even on a day like today where the umps practically fed us frees.

The structure falls completely to s**t as a forward team when the only option is him. I called it on the preview with the outs, I said without a midfield tackler like Anderson out, it clamped out mids and even when we win it, there's no options.

We allowed too many Geelong players to roam free. They always had someone ready to receive when they had no pressure on the receiver.

Hunting the ball in a pack is good, except when you don’t win it. Then you get done on the rebound.

Well done to the lads on the first half of the season. Rest, reload, reassess and rock and roll for rounds 13-22.

It sucked, but considering how much we sucked and how much we were in the game bar the fade out, I think we'll be okay.

Was frustrating as s**t, so I understand some spitting the dummy.

Thankfully away for the weekend, so just decompressing and over it in five minutes, rather than storming about for next two days.

Next.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At what times do you think Brown should have taken a mark today? Was double teamed all day and the kicks inside 50 were as bad as they’ve been all year. We can’t just rely on Brown to mark everything, Waite being out didn’t help but we need to either find other options if he’s on multiple defenders or kick it to his advantage.
Except gor aherns kick. Which he marked.

That's the problem isn't it....

That's how we get ourselves in the position of him being dogged all day by 2-3 blokes. I dno what they're doing with Wood, but it should be his job to take off that pressure when someone like Waite is out because how many times especially in the last did we transition only to find NOBODY in the forward half.
Yes I agree Wood should have taken the pressure of Brown but that’s not Browns fault, I just don’t see how he’s on thin ice though. We can’t blindly kick it in the forward line and hope he marks it against 2 or 3 defenders, it’s unfair on Brown and our midfielders just need to look for other options when he’s being double teamed (sometimes triple teamed) such as today.

Yes I agree Wood should have taken the pressure of Brown but that’s not Browns fault, I just don’t see how he’s on thin ice though. We can’t blindly kick it in the forward line and hope he marks it against 2 or 3 defenders, it’s unfair on Brown and our midfielders just need to look for other options when he’s being double teamed (sometimes triple teamed) such as today.
Wood has his chances, just didn’t deliver, 1.3 and the three were easily gettable for a competent forward.

Holy s**t. Blacky :(
Ouch

display

I just don’t see how he’s on thin ice though

When I say this, it's a long term thing. When Waite retires that puts the forward line into question unless Mason suddenly rises up to the challenge because if he keeps getting shut out of games like this, with or without the umps help, he will fall into a very dark patch. That's just my call.

Our blind kicking into forward was a problem all last year, I hate seeing it rear its ugly head back in now. Scotts gotta stomp that s**t out quick.

I'm not gonna take a dogpile here, because I've never said a bad word on Brown until now. So he's not a 'whipping boy' for me, I'm calling it as I saw it. It was a s**t game ALL ROUND i'm not placing the blame on one person. As I said, I could count 5 players who did the job well today, the rest can't say as much.

At some point we'll have to make a move on the Tarrant, Thommo, Daw triumvirate. One of them needs to make way for Durdin and or McKay. It wont be Taz.
It SHOULD be Thompson based on age profile, but I know you mean mid year, and Thompsons form (outside of todays game) doesn't warrant dropping.

It must be a coaching direction to ignore the HF line.

It's a ******* black hole.
Why do they continue to go high to Ben when he is well covered, look for the loose man and keep your eyes low. In the vfl and AFL, there are to many times when the open player is screaming for the ball, but being ignored.

Apparently Ziebell's blood rule call off was from LED signage around the ground, cut both his knees and was told to get off the ground.

You'd think they'll look at the signage mid year/end of year, been a few cuts and close calls this year from LEDs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back