Is the Match committee for real

Remove this Banner Ad

Horlin Smith, Gardiner and House could have been tried. You can not replace them all but you need some balance. We just got simply pushed off the ball.
GHS maybe, but more talls = more losing against Richmond in the wet.

I would have preferred to see GHS and Thurlow in, any two of Guthrie, Gregson, McCarthy, Fogarty, Parsons out.

The MC have been a joke most of the year, cost us possibly 2 or 3 wins.

Played too many kids early in the year.
Going into games with only 1 ruck or 0 (WCE)
Not playing 2 key forwards each week.
Playing too small down back (vs hawthorn)
Leaving out Thurlow for Zuthrie when we need someone who can kick.
Keeping guys like Parsons and Gregson in the team when they deliver little every week.

Are we rebuilding, going for a flag or doing a half arsed rebuild while trying to make finals?

Excellent post and I agree with ALL that's been written..... the frustration with MC in the games you highlighted is beyond a JOKE, it's got to a stage where they're not to be trusted even a hour before a game is ready to start, as they repeatedly out smart themselves with ridiculous and baffling changes and please, please, please no more Zuthrie, Parsons or Gregson for remainder of year.

Last edited:

Keep in mind everybody was out for the MC's blood over Stanley, and he was near BOG this week. I look at Parsons and ZGuthrie and I scratch my head. But nothing else. Nobody was saying McCarthy was going to put in a shocker. Nor Fogarty.

Our kicking I50 was abysmal. We never even got a chance to see if our forward line was any good. If Crameri wasn't injured, Dangerfield goes to the middle. Menzel is out injured.

Apprehensive to say the least to see what the MC do with Hendo and Taylor when they’re fit. 5 talls + Tuouhy as the back 6?

Otherwise, while our bottom 6 were no good yesterday, it’s not like we have obviously better options running around in the 2s. The only selection that’s truly got me stumped is Zach Guthrie.

You don't consider Hendo, Taylor, Menzel, S.Selwood top end talent? Theres 4 players that replace the 4 bottom you just mentioned. I agree on 3 of those and they ideally won't be in the team by the end of the year but Murdoch has been good as of late. In previous seasons its been true that we have been carried by our top end talent but in most games this year the load has been shared. Danger has torn a game apart like he did in 16/17 at all this year and yet we've still been winning. Garthwaite, Mcintosh were poor for the Tigers today and if they had our injuries would be forced to play guys like Conca, Miles, Menadue and Moore who are all on par with the bottom 4 you mentioned.
No, Taylor Scooter and Menzel are pretty stuffed mate. Hendo if he gets back to last years form will be a handy return that’s for sure. Scooter Menzel McCarthy and Cocky are the reason we play an unsettled side so often, the first 3 won’t have much more of a future at Geelong but Cocky has age on his side so gets another go, don’t hold ya breath though.

Apprehensive to say the least to see what the MC do with Hendo and Taylor when they’re fit. 5 talls + Tuouhy as the back 6?

Otherwise, while our bottom 6 were no good yesterday, it’s not like we have obviously better options running around in the 2s. The only selection that’s truly got me stumped is Zach Guthrie.

I think at this stage one of those has to play forward, pick which between the 2 they want up there and stick with it no matter what.
Buzza isn’t the answer although I’d be ok if they kept him in the side also.
The other takes over Blacks role.

I'll blow a gasket when the MC name him againt the Bullflogs in a fortnight along with his jelly fish brother.

Real?

Can you reach out and touch it? Nay, we barely understand it.

Can it be located on a map? In the general vicinity of Kardinia Park. Perhaps.

Is it merely a construct of the mind, an illusion, a lightning rod, a metaphor, for our own inadequacies and psychoses? A cathartic outlet for our frustrations and conspiracy theories? For certain.

I digress...

Yeah, nah, pretty real m8.

Just to be different, I think we can win the Premiership and yesterday did nothing to dissuade me from that.

Balance is obviously important and our collective health has impacted that this season.

We have the list to get the job done IMO

The MC need to ask themselves what our main objective is and select the team accordingly.

I would rather get some big game experience into the younger players now, rather then throwing them in the deep end in a big final. Only one way to get experience. At least they got a better feel as to what to expect if they have to be called upon in a final.

No, Taylor Scooter and Menzel are pretty stuffed mate. Hendo if he gets back to last years form will be a handy return that’s for sure. Scooter Menzel McCarthy and Cocky are the reason we play an unsettled side so often, the first 3 won’t have much more of a future at Geelong but Cocky has age on his side so gets another go, don’t hold ya breath though.
Mccarthy and Cocky i don't include in our best side as they are injured far too often. The other 3 makes us better, even if they didn't come back i'd still be confident having another crack at the Tigers. The last 2 years Menzel has tired towards the end of the year so hopefully this year its the opposite. I'm happy to give Taylor some more time to recover before considering him stuffed. He played all of last season and its only been this year that he's had trouble with injury. Ideally most of them get back in the team and play good footy by the end of the year. But if not, we've got upside.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Part of the problem was that entering 50 was terrible; often we would just Bomb it long and Rance or Grimes would mark it. This is on the midfielders just as much as the forward line. Really needed that second tall though to make those defenders more accountable.

And while the Guthrie selection was weird, I just feel like he is being a bit of a scapegoat here. Our defenders kept spoiling it, turnovers from kojo and touhy were costly etc etc. I just think Guthrie was the least of our concerns.

Part of the problem was that entering 50 was terrible; often we would just Bomb it long and Rance or Grimes would mark it. This is on the midfielders just as much as the forward line. Really needed that second tall though to make those defenders more accountable.

And while the Guthrie selection was weird, I just feel like he is being a bit of a scapegoat here. Our defenders kept spoiling it, turnovers from kojo and touhy were costly etc etc. I just think Guthrie was the least of our concerns.
The old chicken and the egg. Midfielders are also forced to bomb long if no one presents. Hawkins is our only forward who leads hard at the ball (with no Sav or Menzel). This has been an issue for ages. Undoubtedly both contribute to the problem, but I don't think the midfielders are guilty of ignoring clear open options to bomb it to congestion.

Mccarthy and Cocky i don't include in our best side as they are injured far too often. The other 3 makes us better, even if they didn't come back i'd still be confident having another crack at the Tigers. The last 2 years Menzel has tired towards the end of the year so hopefully this year its the opposite. I'm happy to give Taylor some more time to recover before considering him stuffed. He played all of last season and its only been this year that he's had trouble with injury. Ideally most of them get back in the team and play good footy by the end of the year. But if not, we've got upside.

:thumbsu: Once you hit thirty one bad game means you're washed up around here apparently, still easily best twenty two IMO and can't get him back into the side quickly enough.

:thumbsu: Once you hit thirty one bad game means you're washed up around here apparently, still easily best twenty two IMO and can't get him back into the side quickly enough.

Spot on. Yes the conditions didn't suit too many talls but players like Taylor and Hendo mark those 50/50 balls rather than spoiling and bringing the ball to ground where the Richmond smalls lock it in.
The plus one didn't work for us yesterday either as our inside 50's resulted in rebound 50's. Last time we beat Richmond we made their defenders accountable. You can't leave Rance alone in the goalsquare and expect limited damage. He's too good for that.

Spot on. Yes the conditions didn't suit too many talls but players like Taylor and Hendo mark those 50/50 balls rather than spoiling and bringing the ball to ground where the Richmond smalls lock it in.
The plus one didn't work for us yesterday either as our inside 50's resulted in rebound 50's. Last time we beat Richmond we made their defenders accountable. You can't leave Rance alone in the goalsquare and expect limited damage. He's too good for that.

Was almost criminal the way they allowed Vlastuin to sit back there picking us off at will, eleven marks and just about every one of them uncontested, took far to long for Scott to react in that situation.
And McCarthy on Rance for a fair period, not sure where they came up with that howler.

Last edited:
Was almost criminal the way they allowed Vlastuin to sit back there picking us off at will, eleven marks and just about every one of them uncontested, took far to long for Scott to react in that situation.
And McCarthy on Rance for a fair period, not sure where they came up with that howler.

McCarthy on Rance wouldn't have worried me if they kicked it into space rather than bombing it in on Linc's head.

Excellent post and I agree with ALL that's been written..... the frustration with MC in the games you highlighted is beyond a JOKE, it's got to a stage where they're not to be trusted even a hour before a game is ready to start, as they repeatedly out smart themselves with ridiculous and baffling changes and please, please, please no more Zuthrie, Parsons or Gregson for remainder of year.

Just on Zuthrie,how important is it now for Scarlo to come clean on this one, has continually backed him in over THURLOW, Thurlow's a half back flanker every day of the week that's why they Drafted him, just come off 43 possessions and couldn't get a look in.

Just on Zuthrie,how important is it now for Scarlo to come clean on this one, has continually backed him in over THURLOW, Thurlow's a half back flanker every day of the week that's why they Drafted him, just come off 43 possessions and couldn't get a look in.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2015-08-05/afl-the-best-defenders
Agree and some say he can't lock down hes only a re bounder. In 2015 he was rated as one of the best in the comp at locking down exceeding 0.57 goals per game BUT now after his knee and the arrival of Scarlett he is a winger? go figure and I'd like to see stats on Thurlows kick ins effectiveness from 2015 compared to om Stewarts & Zac Tuohys kick ins. All we currently do kicking in is kick to ourself for a stat and blaze away.

Ok i'm bored so I thought HOW DOES THURLOW'S RECORD GO AGAINST RICHMOND AND I THREW SYDNEY IN AS WELL CAUSE THEY ARE ALWAYS TOUGH GAMES like finals (thought i'd find something Scarlo could use against him in favour of Zac Guthrie trying to figure out selection).
Thurlow v Richomnd 2015 21 possessions and 2017 21 possessions = averages 21 possessions last 2 games
Thurlow v Swans 2015 25 posessions 2017 23 posessions 2018 17 posessions = averages 21.5 posessions last 3 games
= I am still confused

club doesnt rate mostly outside players (varcoe, lang, thurlow)

thurlow probably isnt the answer to having a great defender with great disposal (mackie/j hunt) but he is the best we have got so he should be played

zuthrie did well last year but he doesn't have any weapons he is just an undersized defender with no offensive game

we clearly have issues moving the ball from defence in high pressure games so it makes sense to play a guy who can kick 60m and hit targets

The old chicken and the egg. Midfielders are also forced to bomb long if no one presents. Hawkins is our only forward who leads hard at the ball (with no Sav or Menzel). This has been an issue for ages. Undoubtedly both contribute to the problem, but I don't think the midfielders are guilty of ignoring clear open options to bomb it to congestion.
And it is hard for him to lead when he is in the ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back