Unofficial Preview Dust yourself off and face Essendon unofficial preview

How many days will it take Bonz to do the match preview

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be interesting to see our response this week. Spotlight on the whole club atm. Reminds me of the start of 2014.

I haven't paid much attention to the media for obvious reasons but I'm guessing they've been throwing out the same old lines.

Swans are usually so tough, they need to find that contested dominance again, what happened to the old Bloods it's been missing all year blah blah blah

It'd be refreshing if there was some actually insightful reporting on how this team is evolving from a slow contested side to a quicker side yet the way we are playing footy is not reflecting that change

I haven't paid much attention to the media for obvious reasons but I'm guessing they've been throwing out the same old lines.

Swans are usually so tough, they need to find that contested dominance again, what happened to the old Bloods it's been missing all year blah blah blah

It'd be refreshing if there was some actually insightful reporting on how this team is evolving from a slow contested side to a quicker side yet the way we are playing footy is not reflecting that change
I don't care what the media say all I know is that the Swans respond to negative reinforcement rather than positive. So the media can criticise them all they want it is better for us.

I don't care what the media say all I know is that the Swans respond to negative reinforcement rather than positive. So the media can criticise them all they want it is better for us.

Well I hope we do get the s**t blasted out of us this week. I think our whole club has been sucked into the 'Swans are such a successful club, always making finals, playing consistent brand of Bloods footy' narrative. Maybe they need a reminder that despite all of that being true, Richmond - who have been horse s**t for most of this century - are a few months away from having won the same amount of flags as we have in all this time that we've been near the top end. Maybe that'd give them the urgency to pull their finger out and realise you have to work damn hard for them

I disagree mate. Regardless of previous games we are 4th by percentage. I hope the club continues to pick the best available side (this didn't happen last week) and goes 100% to win every game they are in until they are no longer in it. 2018 is not gone.

I respect that position and would usually agree.

I guess I am coming from the position of regardless of our current place and how we got here, I can’t see us winning the flag without meaningful contributions from Hannebery and Reid in particular but in addition to McVeigh, Jack (at his best) and Mills. Even Tippett at his best would have been considered best 22 and Naismith is always in the mix. On top of that Rohan now has a broken hand.

That’s a heck of a lot of players that would mostly be considered top 25 at worst (when in form at their best etc). We are well into the depth of our list and it is showing. If we had our true best 22 out there, we’d be hard to beat (imo).

I agree based on ability and experience that Grundy is definitely within the best 22 players on our list, and on form etc probably doesn’t deserve to be dropped. But I also believe that he probably doesn’t have a great matchup against the likes of Richmond who are this years favourite. So even if we were to make it, I am not 100% sure Grundys attributes would make him “best 22” from a matchups point of view against such a side (and many sides with more athletic forwards is leaving less matchup for him).

I say season is over because it’s almost certain we won’t get back the two or three players back that can put us back in the top bracket. Certainly always expect the boys 100% and this isn’t a white flag. Just a realisation that it’s probably not going to happen in 2018. Maybe season over was the wrong word... I don’t want us to give up.

I hold out hope though!

I guess I am coming from the position of regardless of our current place and how we got here, I can’t see us winning the flag without meaningful contributions from Hannebery and Reid in particular but in addition to McVeigh, Jack (at his best) and Mills. Even Tippett at his best would have been considered best 22 and Naismith is always in the mix. On top of that Rohan now has a broken hand.

That’s a heck of a lot of players that would mostly be considered top 25 at worst (when in form at their best etc). We are well into the depth of our list and it is showing. If we had our true best 22 out there, we’d be hard to beat (imo).

I agree based on ability and experience that Grundy is definitely within the best 22 players on our list, and on form etc probably doesn’t deserve to be dropped. But I also believe that he probably doesn’t have a great matchup against the likes of Richmond who are this years favourite. So even if we were to make it, I am not 100% sure Grundys attributes would make him “best 22” from a matchups point of view against such a side (and many sides with more athletic forwards is leaving less matchup for him).

I say season is over because it’s almost certain we won’t get back the two or three players back that can put us back in the top bracket. Certainly always expect the boys 100% and this isn’t a white flag. Just a realisation that it’s probably not going to happen in 2018. Maybe season over was the wrong word... I don’t want us to give up.

I hold out hope though!

Head says it’s over heart still a chance

I hold out hope though!

I agree with everything except the bolded. I just don't understand this notion that Reid is important to us. I don't like to beat a dead (or injured) horse, but we were one game away from winning the flag on two separate occasions with Reid's impact minimal. We reached the grand final in 2014 with Reid gathering eight possessions and going goalless in ALL THREE finals that year. Then in 2016 we did it again without Reid playing a single game. Also he wouldn't have made one iota of difference in either grand finals had he played. 2014 was a team-wide capitulation where we were seriously beaten in physicality around the ground - a tall swingman would not have really helped us there. And in 2016 we were beaten by outside pace (and dodgy umpiring) - having a tall swingman would definitely not have made the situation any better.

I know we point to 2012 and Reid was good that year, especially in the finals. But so were a lot of players. I think AJ and Jetta and Pyke and Hannebery and Kennedy and Goodes and Jack and O'Keefe were all monumental in 2012 so it's not like Reid had this massive year where he made the difference. I think he is a good player but we almost can't use his absence as an excuse at all because we should be so well rehearsed in how to play without him and we've proven that we ARE well rehearsed in how to play without him. He's just not that good

I really hope they don’t bring Dawson in a play him as a high HFF , pit him straight in the guts

Yep I looked at Worpel in Hawthorn - who i said we should have targeted in the last draft - played a few games as a high HF but then yesterday he was unleashed in the midfield in just his fourth or fifth game and totally thrived. Granted it was against Carlton but it's amazing how a kid can flourish when in their natural role

I hold out hope though!

I understand and agree mostly with what you are saying. I'm always of the opinion with sport that until you can't make it (finals) then you just play your best side. When you can't make it then play everyone with a look to the future without regard for the result.

I did not for one moment believe that you would want us to give up. Always respect your opinion.

Had a few of thoughts about Grundy, just pondering why he might have been left out.

Has the move to one ruck over two, and therefore not as many traditional “second rucks” hurt Grundy?

Do we need to play a more defensive game in the midfield because we can’t protect the quicker ball entry due to his lack of athleticism (for modern forwards with less options for playing on resting rucks)?

Is it a coincidence that we played a more attacking gameplan (at the expense of defence) against North when he was dropped? Does this relate to the point above?

I agree with everything except the bolded. I just don't understand this notion that Reid is important to us. I don't like to beat a dead (or injured) horse, but we were one game away from winning the flag on two separate occasions with Reid's impact minimal. We reached the grand final in 2014 with Reid gathering eight possessions and going goalless in ALL THREE finals that year. Then in 2016 we did it again without Reid playing a single game. Also he wouldn't have made one iota of difference in either grand finals had he played. 2014 was a team-wide capitulation where we were seriously beaten in physicality around the ground - a tall swingman would not have really helped us there. And in 2016 we were beaten by outside pace (and dodgy umpiring) - having a tall swingman would definitely not have made the situation any better.

I know we point to 2012 and Reid was good that year, especially in the finals. But so were a lot of players. I think AJ and Jetta and Pyke and Hannebery and Kennedy and Goodes and Jack and O'Keefe were all monumental in 2012 so it's not like Reid had this massive year where he made the difference. I think he is a good player but we almost can't use his absence as an excuse at all because we should be so well rehearsed in how to play without him and we've proven that we ARE well rehearsed in how to play without him. He's just not that good

Right now we need a guy that can mark from a kick out Reid can do that he would certainly have made a difference this year IMO but you actually make a reasonable point other than Tippett was also a tall that could mark in previous years. Rather than a specific player we seem to need any player who Has good hands to take that transitional grab to relieve pressure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right now we need a guy that can mark from a kick out Reid can do that he would certainly have made a difference this year IMO but you actually make a reasonable point other than Tippett was also a tall that could mark in previous years. Rather than a specific player we seem to need any player who Has good hands to take that transitional grab to relieve pressure

True that we need someone who can mark down the line but is that really our problem? Our problem, to me, is that we actually need that player. We are at our best when we're lowering our eyes, finding targets, not panicking and launching chaos balls into the stratosphere. The reason we need a tall player to take marks is because we consistently fail to keep that composure and stick to the plan of smart, decisive footy. Look at the weekend. One quarter of playing that way and we kick six goals. Then we crumble under pressure and spend the next three quarters just kicking and hoping with no real method at all. So a player like Reid wouldn't really fix our problem, he'd just paper over the cracks.

He straightens us up. Gives us a genuine contested mark on the wings and up forward. Works well with Lance.

He is an upgrade on McCartin at this stage of his career (though I’d love to see all three together).

By the way I don’t think I’ve said that his individual absence is an excuse at all, just we are a better team for him being in it (from the available players on our list).

A collective excuse of losing a huge chunk of our best 25-30 I won’t apologise for. It’s a big ask.*

* not an excuse for the last three quarters of the Suns game

Last edited:
I've never seen the Swans as the type to get into the argey bargey too much until last year after the softish 0 and 6 start they made a point of roughing up the opposition prior to the bounce. I don't condone it but it at least mentally made a difference to their mindset of being hard at it. Wouldn't be too disappointed if they gave it another crack in these last few games just to get that mongrel back.

The only real issue re Grundy is how they did it

Late out then not picked and then horse alludes to matchups and form, then why was he named v norf, that part is disrespectful imo

The only real issue re Grundy is how they did it

Late out then not picked and then horse alludes to matchups and form, then why was he named v norf, that part is disrespectful imo
Disrespectful to whom?

Disrespectful to whom?

Grundy amd the fans , maybe disrespect is wrong, but just drop him and have the courage to do it , just my view. Not storming the club office over it

I've never seen the Swans as the type to get into the argey bargey too much until last year after the softish 0 and 6 start they made a point of roughing up the opposition prior to the bounce. I don't condone it but it at least mentally made a difference to their mindset of being hard at it. Wouldn't be too disappointed if they gave it another crack in these last few games just to get that mongrel back.

I hate it, just brings the other team into the game IMO. We are certainly less intimidating now since we started doing it than we were before 2017

Yeah it's interesting how much our season turned around when they introduced that attitude. Was very evident against Melbourne. Took us to amazing form but this season we just dropped it?

Yeah it's interesting how much our season turned around when they introduced that attitude. Was very evident against Melbourne. Took us to amazing form but this season we just dropped it?

Think it was probably fairly taxing to keep up and maybe a bit unnatural for some players. Perhaps a bit much to expect some of the inexperienced players to buy into as well.

Think it was probably fairly taxing to keep up and maybe a bit unnatural for some players. Perhaps a bit much to expect some of the inexperienced players to buy into as well.
I don't know, I really like Brisbane's jumper ritual...

Grundy amd the fans , maybe disrespect is wrong, but just drop him and have the courage to do it , just my view. Not storming the club office over it
You may be right, but I expect that Reg knew all about it long before it happened. And the fans have no place in team selection. I imagine it was done that way because they didn't want to tip their hand.

But who knows...

It will be good to be playing at home again after a tough road trip to the SCG on the weekend.
Ufortunately i think we are on the road again next week we have to travel to Collingwood. I think we are playing at Sydneys Collingwood Ground, It used to be a fortress for opposing teams, but now its falling apart. The crowds will drop as they have no faith in the gladiators!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back