Players who have jumped to elite status

Remove this Banner Ad

Majak Daw is the fourth best KPD in the league this year according to those same ratings.....
I wasn't using CD as justification for Sheds being Elite, I was saying that they had done so for years and most didn't believe it to be the case
If you have watched him play this year then you should be able to recognise that he is 100% in the Elite bracket now

People's version of elite is some what perplexing, players like Laird, Yeo being thrown up..

IMO - Elite means top 2% in the comp so that is 14 players.

The players that I would say are in the top 14 for the first time this year would be Tom Mitchell, Patrick Cripps, Clayton Oliver & Max Gawn.. Brodie Grundy maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to be one of the biggest urban myths of the season. Grundy has had a terrific year to be sure but Gawn is next level. Gawn averages more hit outs, more contested marks, kicked more goals, more score involvements and more intercepts per game and does it with less time on ground. Grundy has more tackles and more handballs. The argument that Grundy is 'better around the ground' seems to be based on the fact he averages 5 more possessions a game than Gawn - all of which are handballs.

Gawn is the consensus choice of the coaches and will be the AA ruckman. Grundy is fantastic and a worthy second best and has done enough for a spot on the bench.
In the end it's splitting hairs. They are both very good players. However 5 possessions average is a big differential between players who play the same position/role.

Gawn is a better tap ruckman. I'm not sure he was as good 3 years ago though which is parity in comparing to Grundy but the question isn't about who will be better. Gawn is currently a better pure ruckman and Grundy is probably a slightly better around the ground general player - by a lesser margin than Gawn's ruck differential so I'll give it just to Gawn right now.

'Bout time Collingwood got a ruck coach though. I'd like to see some concentrated work put into Grundy's tapwork.

Last edited:
You seem upset. Bad weekend? :think:
Could say the same for you...
In what universe is Polec elite? He is a soft outside receiver that has had a couple of good games this year but goes missing far too often. Don't confuse elite and the potential to be elite. Polec's got the natural talent but is nowhere near elite territory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back