Tom Lynch - itshappening.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack R basically confirmed (on 360 a couple of weeks back) that he and Rance have not only extended their contracts but at the same time reduced their $$$ for next year (and beyond) as part of this to facilitate the strengthening of the list. I think the signatures of our "big 4" for the next three years at this time of year is very telling and aligns very much with what old mate has been saying.

We will lose some players, I'm not sure it will be anything more than would happen anyway (Miles and Lloyd were looking last year but are still here) - If we do lose players we'd rather keep, we'll receive picks and start the whole process over again.

I think there have been at least two games this season (Port and GWS) where the presence of a big forward who can clunk them would have won us the game. Might he disrupt the mosquito cohesion? Perhaps but I'll trust our footy department to manage this.

Haven’t heard the pies are doing this

In saying that, I believe I’ve read that Lynch doesn’t want to pinch hit in the ruck and play too much down the ground, which is something that Roughy has to his bow. Lynch inside 50 is a much better player than Roughy though.
If this is right then I have a bit of a problem with it.
Crazy for a player looking for a long term big $$$$ contract to be making it known they only want to play a certain way.
Although maybe a little bit to do with the current vibe around the Suns 'culture' at the moment.
You would expect if he lobbed at a big club like Tigers, Pies or Hawks he would 'buy in' pretty quickly.

I look at our fwd line & ruck set up and we seem to be happier to play short players. Tall guys like Soldo & Moore have struggled to get a game for 2 years. In which case I'd rather we bolster our midfield stocks with someone like a Beams, Shiel.
We can only play who we’ve got. There is a big difference between Tom Lynch and Soldo/Moore

With the contract extensions there have been basically two camps. One camp was that it was to make room for Lynch and the other camp was that Lynch was going elsewhere and it was to fit the other uncontracted players in.

Well yeah Shorty was signed but he was always going to be and there hasn't been a domino effect with the rest of the uncontracted players so my money is well and truly in the first camp. Welcome to Tigerland Tom.

BS aside of which club wins out for his signature, I’m curious to know how many Tiger fans believe projected output in 2019 and beyond outweigh total costs of having Lynch on the list.

It has gotten to the point where people simply want Lynch at their club so he doesn’t sign with the other club but have lost sight of what his inclusion would come at the cost of to fit him in.

Tigers have won a flag and built something very rare over the last few seasons, then you’ve got Lynch as a cherry on top/piggy backing on that success.

Same goes for Collingwood where injuries have created a very unpredictable forward line ala Richmond 2017 that has got different avenues at goal. Does bringing in Lynch undo that to an extent?

What’re people’s thoughts?
The game never stays the same.
We surprised everyone late last year with our setup.
This year sides are bringing in the fwd pressure.Slowly but surely sides are catching upto us.
I think its the right thing to bring in Lynch to be honest.Even if he goes somewhere else,Hopefully we plan to rejig our gameplan.

If this is right then I have a bit of a problem with it.
Crazy for a player looking for a long term big $$$$ contract to be making it known they only want to play a certain way.
Although maybe a little bit to do with the current vibe around the Suns 'culture' at the moment.
You would expect if he lobbed at a big club like Tigers, Pies or Hawks he would 'buy in' pretty quickly.
Don’t quote me on it, but I recall reading somewhere that either it isn’t good for his knees to pinch hit or he doesn’t want to pinch hit in the ruck.

At the end of the day, he is seen as somewhat of a Rolls Royce KPF, so structures aside, you wouldn’t want him playing the second ruck role.

I’m honestly not fussed. Part of me really wants him to go to the Pies because I’ve just got a bad feeling about his body, big blokes don’t seem to have as much luck with knees. Had he not had the knee injury I’d be keen to have him but I’m pretty cold on the idea of signing a big bloke who’s injured.
Time will tell I guess.
After hearing what Caddy said and the news on Prestia RD.I think the issue with Lynch is more to do with the hard surface at Metricon.

After hearing what Caddy said and the news on Prestia RD.I think the issue with Lynch is more to do with the hard surface at Metricon.
Yeah I know that the players really struggle on that deck, but I just wonder if his legs have had too much punishment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed about the surface, went for a walk on the ground after the game and it was like walking on concrete, i don't think they water it much up there or it is cut too low.

I think from a purely footballing POV, not a lot of people are fussed because what 2017 has obviously exposed for the Tigers and what 2018 has exposed about the Pies is that Lynch is not a necessity and neither side is desperate to add him. I think the Hawks might be the side who would need him most, especially if Roughead is on his last legs.

In saying that, I believe I’ve read that Lynch doesn’t want to pinch hit in the ruck and play too much down the ground, which is something that Roughy has to his bow. Lynch inside 50 is a much better player than Roughy though.

This whole thing has dragged on so much that people just aren’t invested emotionally anymore lol

Our rumoured contract offer to him has been $800kpa. We get him for a bargain like that and we're laughing.

BS aside of which club wins out for his signature, I’m curious to know how many Tiger fans believe projected output in 2019 and beyond outweigh total costs of having Lynch on the list.

It has gotten to the point where people simply want Lynch at their club so he doesn’t sign with the other club but have lost sight of what his inclusion would come at the cost of to fit him in.

Tigers have won a flag and built something very rare over the last few seasons, then you’ve got Lynch as a cherry on top/piggy backing on that success.

Same goes for Collingwood where injuries have created a very unpredictable forward line ala Richmond 2017 that has got different avenues at goal. Does bringing in Lynch undo that to an extent?

This thread is hundreds and hundreds of pages long, on exactly this topic. Welcome to the party.

For mine, we have some younger fwds coming through so Lynch allows them to develope in the VFL till they are cherry ripe, that plus he also potentially takes the #1 defender off Jack as he's probably be playing deeper fwd with Jack up the Ground. Missing Lynch may mean we have to play them before they are properly ready. Lynch is great for next yr for us but also for the future as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back