Prediction Who will we play as our 2nd key tall fwd when Lynch/Riewoldt are inevitably injured/rested in 2023?

Who will we play as our 2nd key tall fwd when Lynch/Riewoldt are inevitably injured/rested in 2023?

• Balta again. Hell yes.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Bring in Soldo to rotate with Nank fwd

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Groom Gibcus

Votes: 9 9.8%
  • It's Miller time

Votes: 33 35.9%
  • Play 1 small key fwd only

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Grimes/Broad/Tarrant

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Samson Ryan will be flyin'

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • Hope like hell Bauer or Biggy are ready

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • What is a key forward?

Votes: 8 8.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We have a new game plan in the works and wont need a gun KPF from 2024 and beyond , 2023 is the last time we will play the traditional 2 -3 kpf set up

New Game plan

* Have 2 players 207cm (Ryan) 213 cm (colina)

* 1 player is 15-20mtrs out from goal and the other 25-35mtrs out

* Whilst these boys can mark the ball and almost imossible to outmark them its also more likely defenders will be looking to spoil

* Colina & Ryan will be instructed to bring the ball to ground or rather than mark go to "Tap" the ball to the likes of
Martin , Cumberland , Bolton , Rioli , Clarke , Campbell or which ever speed king thats playing up foward

The evolution of our Kaos game plan will be taken to the next level now incorporating tapping foward in the foward line
Messy Goals will be the new thing

We have a new game plan in the works and wont need a gun KPF from 2024 and beyond , 2023 is the last time we will play the traditional 2 -3 kpf set up

New Game plan

* Have 2 players 207cm (Ryan) 213 cm (colina)

* 1 player is 15-20mtrs out from goal and the other 25-35mtrs out

* Whilst these boys can mark the ball and almost imossible to outmark them its also more likely defenders will be looking to spoil

* Colina & Ryan will be instructed to bring the ball to ground or rather than mark go to "Tap" the ball to the likes of
Martin , Cumberland , Bolton , Rioli , Clarke , Campbell or which ever speed king thats playing up foward

The evolution of our Kaos game plan will be taken to the next level now incorporating tapping foward in the foward line
Messy Goals will be the new thing
The problem is that defenders like Brisbane's Andrews are 202cm and Moore 203cm, both with a good spring, neutralise that few extra cm, especially when you can't really spring like Ryan and Collina.

Would rather do as you say and cause a spillage with mobile players like Miller, Bauer, Young who are at least mobile and pretty good at ground level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did this year for the most part so I don't see why he won't next year.

I could see Hardwick preferring an older team.

Vlastuin - Tarrant - grimes - short - broad - Rioli - balta looks a tough back 6/7 to break into.

Young has shown good form

I don't mind the idea of Gibcus outside the defence to get games into him

Vlastuin - Tarrant - grimes - short - broad - Rioli - balta looks a tough back 6/7 to break into.

Yeah I had him in and no Tarrant but who knows? Wouldn't be the worst thing for him to knock the door down in the VFL for a while, which he didn't have to do last year. Would prefer Miller or Ryan play forward as they are better 2nd ruck options.

As good as Tarrant was last year, Gibcus could go to CHB so as not to be under the pressure of the last line of defence, and Balta could take Tarrant's spot. Gibcus has the mobility to go with any mobile tall, Tarrant and Balta don't, and he has an elite kick. Get games into him because it will be worth it, like it was with Rance.

As good as Tarrant was last year, Gibcus could go to CHB so as not to be under the pressure of the last line of defence, and Balta could take Tarrant's spot. Gibcus has the mobility to go with any mobile tall, Tarrant and Balta don't, and he has an elite kick. Get games into him because it will be worth it, like it was with Rance.

Balta lacks mobility?

I think Hardwick will lean towards tarrants size and experience.

I wouldn't be shocked if young goes past Gibcus either.

Balta lacks mobility?

I think Hardwick will lean towards tarrants size and experience.

I wouldn't be shocked if young goes past Gibcus either.
Lacks mobility only in that you don't want him chasing mobile quicks up and down the ground, Hipwood for example. Better off competing for the ball in the air and using his mobility that way. He got led to the ball a fair bit last year, so that is something he needs to learn off Tarrant.

I know what you are saying about Hardwick and experience, but with Grimes, Broad and Vlastuin down there, that is pretty experienced. Some great key back by Balta's age, so he should be in his prime this year.

I'ds be shocked if Young went past Gibcus who is a star in the making. Young has plenty to learn and was just good at VFL level last year not much more. Some upside no doubt but we are in no hurry.

Lacks mobility only in that you don't want him chasing mobile quicks up and down the ground, Hipwood for example. Better off competing for the ball in the air and using his mobility that way. He got led to the ball a fair bit last year, so that is something he needs to learn off Tarrant.

I know what you are saying about Hardwick and experience, but with Grimes, Broad and Vlastuin down there, that is pretty experienced. Some great key back by Balta's age, so he should be in his prime this year.

I'ds be shocked if Young went past Gibcus who is a star in the making. Young has plenty to learn and was just good at VFL level last year not much more. Some upside no doubt but we are in no hurry.

Some are saying Young looked the better player when he and gibcus where on the ground together

He was drafted for a reason. I wouldn't be shocked to be him get a game

Some are saying Young looked the better player when he and gibcus where on the ground together

He was drafted for a reason. I wouldn't be shocked to be him get a game
Gibcus played two VFL games at the end of the season after his confidence started to wane at the end of a long first season, as it does with most 18 year olds.

Had some very good games at AFL level before that and would be considered by most as one of the brightest key prospects in the AFL.

Young did well when he started to feel comfortable at that level towards the end of the season, but that's a big stretch to say he looks better than Gibcus, stronger but that is the only area he looks to have it over him.

Last edited:
Gibcus played two VFL games at the end of the season after his confidence started to wane at the end of a long first season, as it does with most 18 year olds.

Had some very good games at AFL level before that and would be considered by most as one of the brightest key prospects in the AFL. Games of 23 disposals v WC, 20 v Ess. 18 v Melb, 17 v Carlton. Kid will be a star I think.

Young did well when he started to feel comfortable at that level towards the end of the season, but that's a big stretch to say he looks better than Gibcus, stronger but that is the only area he looks to have it over him.
He was objectively performing better, Gibcus barely got near it in the 2's. When he came straight back into the side it was pretty confusing given his VFL performances, which plenty mentioned at the time. I'm not hanging s**t on him he's an obvious talent and will go past Young and not look back but will take a bit of time. Shift forward might even be worth a try given his rare assets.

Back