Which player gave you the most hope, when they arrived?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
I was reflecting on the past when we first drafted the likes of Lids, Cotchin, Dusty, Jack. I was trying to think which player excited and gave me the most hope, on their arrival to Punt Road.

Despite Richo being my all time favourite, for me, it was Lids. After so long without success, Deledio's arrival (along with the other Fab5) heralded a new dawn for the club....well at least, that's what we all hoped. He was so silky, with a dead straight, penetrating kick. He could play anywhere. He was a sensational mark for his size. Won all our time trials and seemed like a mature young kid.

Our midfield was so sh.ite though, that he was tagged almost immediately. Like Richo before him, I wonder what sort of player he could have become with the right development and coaching. Oh well, I guess we wouldn't have won the three flags if that had of happened.

So who in their first couple of years of arriving, gave you the most hope!?

Last edited:
38535.richard-tambling.jpg

Brad Ottens leaving and cogs going down with that knee destroyed any hope i had of a Richmond side being competitive again

Had high hopes for Marc Dragicevic he looked like a real player before injuries. He looked bloody good.

I think there’s a distinction. Those that could have made it if it wasn’t for injury and those that didn’t make it for some other reason.

Coughlan is a case in point. He was an animal in his first few years. If we got 10 years out of him who knows

1995 after Richo went down we were playing WCE at princess park and anyone who can remember the weagles used to beat up on us for fun often making us look like boys against men. In his debut game I reckon within 10 minutes directly in front of where we were sitting he'd absolutely polaxed Jackovich fairly. Worsfold charged at him to demonstrate and he basically picked him up and suplexed him.

A mini melee broke out and I just remember seeing number 23 looking like he wanted to take on the entire WCE team who were all sh1tting themselves avoiding him. Meanwhile Jackovich and Worsfold looked like a couple of useless sacks of spuds laying in a heap. We ended up smashing them by 10 goals that day. It didn't take long to learn the name Steven Jurica and within days I had 23 on my Woolen jumper. He ended up averaging 2 goals a game he was as strong as an ox. I remember thinking him and Richo would form a lethal combo in 96 but sadly he was basically used as Richo's decoy as all the players stopped kicking to him. Honourable mention to Justin Plapp with his 14 goals in 8 games in 98.

download (68).jpeg images - 2023-11-28T164618.971.jpeg

As a kid I thought Allan Edwards was going to be the next Royce Hart. Went the same as Hart, the dreaded knee.
Sydney Stack was a beauty, went the same way as Ned Kelly, metaphorically.

From just reading player profiles before they even played a game for us: Troy Taylor
From getting excited over early games and potential: Stephen Jurica & Dan Connors

Plus, Jayden Post just needed a decent run of games....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1995 after Richo went down we were playing WCE at princess park and anyone who can remember the weagles used to beat up on us for fun often making us look like boys against men. In his debut game I reckon within 10 minutes directly in front of where we were sitting he'd absolutely polaxed Jackovich fairly. Worsfold charged at him to demonstrate and he basically picked him up and suplexed him.

A mini melee broke out and I just remember seeing number 23 looking like he wanted to take on the entire WCE team who were all sh1tting themselves avoiding him. Meanwhile Jackovich and Worsfold looked like a couple of useless sacks of spuds laying in a heap. We ended up smashing them by 10 goals that day. It didn't take long to learn the name Steven Jurica and within days I had 23 on my Woolen jumper. He ended up averaging 2 goals a game he was as strong as an ox. I remember thinking him and Richo would form a lethal combo in 96 but sadly he was basically used as Richo's decoy as all the players stopped kicking to him. Honourable mention to Justin Plapp with his 14 goals in 8 games in 98.

View attachment 1862251View attachment 1862252
I was at that game. Malthouse cracked the sads and gave an 8 second press conference and stormed out (what a w***er). In the paper the next day under injuries for West Coast, The Age put "pride: severely dented".

And yes, the man mountain Jurica was all over it that day,

For me, the biggest hope was Ottens.

He was the next Corey McKernan. Everyone knew he was going to be an absolute star, especially with Richo in the side.

Look the campaigner went on to success at Geelong and good luck to him, but it was damn disrespectful for him to be the "homecoming hero" for Geelong in that famous QF. Course, we got our revenge tenfold that night so he can GGF.

For me, the biggest hope was Ottens.

He was the next Corey McKernan. Everyone knew he was going to be an absolute star, especially with Richo in the side.

Look the campaigner went on to success at Geelong and good luck to him, but it was damn disrespectful for him to be the "homecoming hero" for Geelong in that famous QF. Course, we got our revenge tenfold that night so he can GGF.
Ring that bell Bradley.

Trent Cotchin.
He just oozed class and commitment.
It felt like the dawn of a very dark night had broken.

Trent Cotchin for me bc he was a born leader with class and that’s what the club severely lacked for decades. He was the type that strived for excellence in everything he did.

Everyone at the time knew that Dragicevic would be something special if he could get over his injuries.

A once in a lifetime player in the mould of Bontempelli.

Sadly it wasn't to be
Was he that good was he? I remember plenty said about him, but never got to see much of him myself.

I think we all hoped Lids would lead us out of the abyss.
Yep, the day Deledio, Tambling, Meyer arrived we were going to win a flag within the next 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back