• Gibcus

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
I feel this one is a little more obvious but I might be surprized. In 2022, we were the number one side in the league for scoring.

Is it the ever green Jack who's undervalued footy smarts and leadership sets up goals for others while still kicking plenty himself.
Is it Cumberland who has burst onto the scene this year and has speed, elusiveness, marking, set shot reliability and X-factor.
Is it Bolton who is vying for one of the best player in the league. He can do anything.
Is it Dusty, who will spend most of his time forward next year generating goals off his own boot and by finding holes in the oppositions defense to set up others. He wins games and find goals when others can't and is an absolute barometer to our side, especially in big games.
Is it MJR with his defensive pressure and ability to force turnovers so others can collect the spill and kick goals themselves. He is dangerous in front of goal and can never be underestimated.
Is it Lynch, who is our number one forward target. He makes us more direct, breaks packs to force the ball to ground and is the number one contested mark in the league. His value can not be under estimated and we always struggle in his absence.
Is it Taranto/Hopper/Cotchin/Nank/Miller/Balta? Our resting and switch forwards are extremely important to how we play the game. Without their ability to rotate forward we will not have the ability to run out games and cause disruption to opposition defenses.
Is it Gibcus/Ryan, as our potential next tall forward options?

So whose your choice and why?

You're right considering our lack of depth in KPF's Lynch is not only our most important forward, he's our most important player on the ground. Lynch staying healthy is right now pivotal to our 2023 season. Will love to see a full season of the Martin/ Bolton rotation, then add in to that Taranto. Want to see Cumberland & MRJ continue to flourish into 2023. Finally I want to see if Jack can get his 46 goals to overtake KB & Richo on the All timer list.

It's Lynch. We desperately need one of Bauer, Samson or Gibcus to develop into a serviceable backup as Lynch is likely to miss a few games with soft tissue injuries and we were shite without him.

I think you meant to say if Lynch can snag 2 goals a game it takes the pressure off our new full forward Taranto
Taranto named forward here.

Screenshot_20221212_225400_Chrome.jpg

WE SAY: Damien Hardwick has got two new ‘set and forget’ operators in Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper. Both will add immediate depth and potency to a Richmond midfield brigade that has at times been very thin. Their arrivals won’t make things any easier for Jack Graham as he attempts to break into the side more consistently, but it’s a healthy competition for spots. Dustin Martin’s position is highly dependant on how his body holds up, but with a great pre-season he could return to his midfield-forward best. The likes of Josh Gibcus may have to bide their time at the start of the year. Most of the Tigers’ draft acquisitions look to be depth players for the time being.

Taranto named forward here.

View attachment 1572275

WE SAY: Damien Hardwick has got two new ‘set and forget’ operators in Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper. Both will add immediate depth and potency to a Richmond midfield brigade that has at times been very thin. Their arrivals won’t make things any easier for Jack Graham as he attempts to break into the side more consistently, but it’s a healthy competition for spots. Dustin Martin’s position is highly dependant on how his body holds up, but with a great pre-season he could return to his midfield-forward best. The likes of Josh Gibcus may have to bide their time at the start of the year. Most of the Tigers’ draft acquisitions look to be depth players for the time being.
By who some Herald Sun writer?

200 (2).gif

By who some Herald Sun writer?

View attachment 1572293
Doesn't say. You can't fit both Hopper and Taranto in as full time mids.Cotchin and Prestia have to play there. Martin will if fully fit. Bolton and Taranto will play there less than 50% I reckon.
Then you've got others who play through there like Graham, Ross, Sonsie, Short and Baker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't say. You can't fit both Hopper and Taranto in as full time mids.Cotchin and Prestia have to play there. Martin will if fully fit. Bolton and Taranto will play there less than 50% I reckon.
Then you've got others who play through there like Graham, Ross, Sonsie, Short and Baker.
Not going into this again. Well and truly been debunked

At most Taranto starts half forward at the CB and rolls up the ground when the ball is bounced

We just told him he would be playing mid to get him to the club.
Hardwick will do what's best for the team.
What's best for the club is a gun midfielder who's a poor forward playing as a midfielder not a forward.

Anyway the discussion has been done to death in the other thread. Wait to see what happens round 1

It's a bit concerning about our over reliance of Lynch. It was proven through the season when he was absent but especially in big games. Jack can't shoulder the sole key forward role any longer. It really highlights the utter, crucial importance of trading in another star key position forward and developing talls at VFL level. Ryan, Bauer and possibly even Balta and Gibcus need to be groomed into the role.

I'm really thrilled that we planned and went out and addressed our contested ball problem but now we urgently need to find support to Jack. I'm sure they are already all over this but our reliance on Lynch is glaring.

Back