List Mgmt. Brendon Goddard (ST KILDA RULED OUT POSSIBLE RETURN)

Would you want him at the Saints again?

• Yes

Votes: 36 72.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 28.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No thanks, became a huge finger pointing Flog at Essendon. To slow and old, there isn’t a spot for him...plus he’s a traitor, not sure why peeps want him back, he would also prevent youngsters like coffield etc build their game...

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
He isn't a traitor. And he would most likely improve Coffield's game not hinder it. His experience would be essential.

Do we need both he and Hannebury though...assuming we get him.
Is it necessary to have two Hodges? I know BJ would only cost us salary but do we need to have two spots in the team used by them?
Hanners is 27 and still supposedly in his prime, at least age wise.
Not really the same.

He probably retire end of 2020 anyways, I mean if guys like Weller can get a game for 2 years by barely being useful. I rather someone who can actually play and gives a s**t. I'm not sure how he takes a "young" players spot if you replace BJ with Gilbert/Weller. Its only a season likely, not the end of the world.

Goddard is still a beautiful kick and playing at a reasonable level. He is far from done. Good fit.
That is true, he is one of the most talented players to ever play for the Saints in his disposal by foot. I can't tell how good he would be at teaching other players to be as good as him. My thinking is this: his kicking was freakishly good. He can hit a target beautifully, but even better than that he can kick the ball to a player by anticipating where he is going to lead to and even making microadjustments to the trajectory in order to avoid opponents intercepting, or forcing the target to pick up pace to ensure they are clear of spoiling opponents. What I am unsure of is whether he is able to communicate to the younger team mates the subtleties of his kicking techniques. He has such an abundance of natural talent that he seemingly performs his magnificent footskills without any thought or effort. It makes me wonder how good he would be at breaking down the task into steps that he can then express to the players and have them perform these steps to achieve the results we want. That said, I would rather give him a try. I would want him around somewhat as a Hodge type role with a specific mandate to improve field kicking. His on-field defensive role would only be of secondary importance.

Horrible idea IMO. Richo will play him every week, keeping blokes like Coff out of the side.

Let's not let our deplorable coaching staff be a reason to bring in any cooked 30+ bloke to provide leadership anywhere we can find it.

The romantic in me would like him to come back, but being practical I think probably not. Whilst he would give plenty in terms of experience, professionalism and direction(!) his play is tailing off quite a bit. I wonder if he just keeps a Coffield or Austin off the park. I think we are looking more for a midfield or forward mentor in the 'Hodge' mould.

But if the 'brains trust' think he's worth it.....fine.

Goddard would be the type of player to bring in if we also get a new coach. Despite (some of) the players seemingly wanting Richo to be moved on, a coaching change will always be disruptive to some degree, so bringing in someone with great experience and high standards could really help with bridging any communication difficulties with players and the new coach, as well as enforcing instructions on the field. Apparently Hanneberry is someone who demands just as much out of himself as Goddard, albeit not as demanding of others, but still sets standards nonetheless.
Dal Santo recently commented on his time at the club, and how he really benefited from being pushed in extra training sessions with Powell. This is the kind of environment that the club seems to be lacking, and could help enacting a more large scale shift. This should be the major focus so we can right the ship and capitalise on the talent we have before it's too late and they leave or just never develop properly.

Can we tape his fingers together so he can´t point at anyone ? If so I´d take the campaigner back for a season and then
an assistant coaching role. We need a tough, ruthless edge. Remember how heartbroken he was when we lost the 2009 Grand Final.
Seeing him in tears with his taped up, smashed beak was hard to watch and that mark in 2010 and reaction. Bring it on home BJ.

Can we tape his fingers together so he can´t point at anyone ?
I'd go further

2le74ma.jpg

Horrible idea IMO. Richo will play him every week, keeping blokes like Coff out of the side.

Let's not let our deplorable coaching staff be a reason to bring in any cooked 30+ bloke to provide leadership anywhere we can find it.
No he wont he looks that he would play a linking savage type role out of HB rotating to HF so replacing Savage, Weller, Gilbet etc, he probably wont stop the development of any young player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No he wont he looks that he would play a linking savage type role out of HB rotating to HF so replacing Savage, Weller, Gilbet etc, he probably wont stop the development of any young player.
Savage did the same role BJ did this year, except Savage isn't declining like Goddard is and Savage can actually defend which BJ doesn't.

Why does everyone assume if BJ came back he would play in defense? Our biggest need besides silky mids is someone to hit up forward targets with precision and provide leadership to our young forwards. BJ as a high half forward with Billings, Lonie, Gresh etc would be a massive tick for me.

His ball use has always been a strength and his speed (or lack of) wouldn’t be as much of an issue playing that role.

He can have Weller/Wright/Minchington’s spot on the list. He would be a free agent or delisted free agent so will only cost salary wise, no draft pick needed.

i doubt beej is prepared to play VFL like mich or weller have been doing

if he's not getting a game, he'll probably retire
and thats fine ... but ill also bet that BJ will train the house down and do everything in his power to be in the best 22 he will give his all and lift our general skill level up a few notches ... if he is not up to it and is not performing then the kids will over take him and he will play VFL .. I would say he would cop this and go back and dominate VFL to get back into the seniors again pushing the standards higher for the guys in the team to keep their spots ... if he finds himself stuck in the VFL he will most likely retire , no harm to us at all as that would mean he isnt bringing anything to the senior team ....

the big point is in order to get better as a team we will need to lift the standard across the board so cutting Minch who is below average and most likely to be delisted and replaceing him with a higher skilled BJ lifts our skill levels higher ... remember he is a delisted free agent so at the absoulte worst we are getting a 100% upgrade on our worst player for free ..
i mean its not like he is going to comand a million dollar contract , he is not going to cost us a pick and he walks in day one already better than 70% of our best 22

No way- he was shopping himself around after he took his GF speccie- no loyalty.

Funny you mention that grand final. Since he and Lenny fought tooth and nail to try and get us over the line that day. Not seen a current player on our list work a quarter as hard for the club.

Hence I find that claim very difficult to believe. He was nearly the best player in the comp at the time. If he shopped himself around then he would have got a bite.

Funny how those are all important players to Essendon he's frying and you'd think they were blokes just breaking into the side based on yhe way Essendon fans talk about it. Haven't all of Dal Santo, Montagna and Riewoldt all spoken about their concerns around our standards? Goddard is exactly the kind of bloke that would drive improvement on that area. I can deal with him baking the occasional player if they deserve it. Roo often did similar things but was a media darling so it was never spoken about.

No thanks, became a huge finger pointing Flog at Essendon. To slow and old, there isn’t a spot for him...plus he’s a traitor, not sure why peeps want him back, he would also prevent youngsters like coffield etc build their game...

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
this is just plain stupid ...
he is not a traitor .... Chris Pelchen pushed him out the door .. he was willing to sign with St Kilda for less money then the essendon offer but wanted a year more on the contract to offset that pay gap .. a fair request.. the club through the influence of Pelchen saw the prspect of him going and having two draft picks the Pelchen would turn into 4 players as a better option problem is those 4 players ammounted to nothing so we threw away a club legend, a heart and soul player for nothing .... to make it worse we did the damn near same thing a year later with Dal ..

so you would just gift games to the kids ??
lets learn from the Dee's mistakes not copy them ...
the Dee's gutted their list of senior tallent because they though their stable of good young prospects would be enough to lift them up through pumping games into them .. the problem is without the young guys having to fight their way into the team they became complacent ... the general level of standard to make the best 22 became lower and the team got nowhere wasting the development of a generation of their good kids .. finally they clued on to this and got guys in who were there to raise that base standard level to make the starting 22, it meant that instead of a kid getting an automatic walk up start some one else was "taking games off them " but guess what that meant the kid worked harder and he lifted his standards to be better and then when he did get his chance he made the most of it and was up to the standard to be competitive in the AFL ....
so im all for someone "taking games off" the kids as that means the kids have got to do more and be better to get into the team and when they do that benifits us greatly ...

Heck even GWS with all their early draft picks only became good once they brought in the experiance to set the higher base line 22 standards

See I don't think he can perform to that standard anymore. He's too old now. Game catches up with you.
and thats fine ... but ill also bet that BJ will train the house down and do everything in his power to be in the best 22 he will give his all and lift our general skill level up a few notches ... if he is not up to it and is not performing then the kids will over take him and he will play VFL .. I would say he would cop this and go back and dominate VFL to get back into the seniors again pushing the standards higher for the guys in the team to keep their spots ... if he finds himself stuck in the VFL he will most likely retire , no harm to us at all as that would mean he isnt bringing anything to the senior team ....

the big point is in order to get better as a team we will need to lift the standard across the board so cutting Minch who is below average and most likely to be delisted and replaceing him with a higher skilled BJ lifts our skill levels higher ... remember he is a delisted free agent so at the absoulte worst we are getting a 100% upgrade on our worst player for free ..
i mean its not like he is going to comand a million dollar contract , he is not going to cost us a pick and he walks in day one already better than 70% of our best 22

Back