List Mgmt. Brendon Goddard (ST KILDA RULED OUT POSSIBLE RETURN)

Would you want him at the Saints again?

• Yes

Votes: 36 72.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 28.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why does everyone assume if BJ came back he would play in defense? Our biggest need besides silky mids is someone to hit up forward targets with precision and provide leadership to our young forwards. BJ as a high half forward with Billings, Lonie, Gresh etc would be a massive tick for me.

His ball use has always been a strength and his speed (or lack of) wouldn’t be as much of an issue playing that role.

He can have Weller/Wright/Minchington’s spot on the list. He would be a free agent or delisted free agent so will only cost salary wise, no draft pick needed.

when we lost bj we lost our (dare i say it) quarterback and it impacted us greatly as we lost a lot of our precision movement, we also lost jason gram at the same time (severely underrated player) who were amazing when they were playing together

bu BJ can hit a target ... savage actually cant ... the bomb and hope kick doesnt work
Yep, because Riewoldt said during one game that Savage kicks it long too much and suddenly everyone has always been of the opinion Savage is a terrible ball user.

There is only 1% difference between their disposal efficiencies this year, except Savage kicks the ball a lot more than Goddard. But yeah, woeful kick.

Funny you mention that grand final. Since he and Lenny fought tooth and nail to try and get us over the line that day. Not seen a current player on our list work a quarter as hard for the club.

Hence I find that claim very difficult to believe. He was nearly the best player in the comp at the time. If he shopped himself around then he would have got a bite.

Funny how those are all important players to Essendon he's frying and you'd think they were blokes just breaking into the side based on yhe way Essendon fans talk about it. Haven't all of Dal Santo, Montagna and Riewoldt all spoken about their concerns around our standards? Goddard is exactly the kind of bloke that would drive improvement on that area. I can deal with him baking the occasional player if they deserve it. Roo often did similar things but was a media darling so it was never spoken about.
We blew that game, and I'm sure most players had a good crack at winning. Goddard and manager were sniffing around after that, but I would have preferred the senior group then had have got behind the new coach, and we might not have been in the mess we are in presently.

Last edited:

Yep, because Riewoldt said during one game that Savage kicks it long too much and suddenly everyone has always been of the opinion Savage is a terrible ball user.

There is only 1% difference between their disposal efficiencies this year, except Savage kicks the ball a lot more than Goddard. But yeah, woeful kick.
Savage is a bomb it long merchant . To suggest otherwise shows a lack of seeing what actually happens during play .

Goddard can replace Gilbert . Even for a season . That out on the full due to no right foot signed his papers .
I’m 35 , not fit and slightly over weight . Played first game in14 years last night and even I was able to get out of traffic baulk on the right and hit someone up 35 meters away on the non preferred left . Why - because I practised when I was a kid

when we lost bj we lost our (dare i say it) quarterback and it impacted us greatly as we lost a lot of our precision movement, we also lost jason gram at the same time (severely underrated player) who were amazing when they were playing together
agree with BJ but Gram was cooked .....
he had a fantastic 2009 and 2010 but after that he tried far to hard ... his helecopter kicks were a disaster and once he lost the penetrating kick his lack of defensive accountability became a huge issue ... plus on to of all of that he was a bit of a dirt bag .... we certainly missed the 2009 verson of Gram but by the time he was cut loose he was far from that

watch savage closly ... most of the time the target he does hit is not the target we need him to hit .... he rushes the kicks ... he could be much better for us and does have the occasional great game for us but he lacks composure to hit the right target and tends to just blaze away with the long bomb

In Richo's interview on SEN, he had to pull himself up on the question of BJ being recruited by the Saints
He said "probably not worth.......... a need that we have"
Sounds like a NO to me

We blew that game, and I'm sure most players had a good crack at winning. Goddard and manager were sniffing around after that, but I would have preferred the senior group then had have got behind the new coach, and we might not have been in the mess we are in presently.
i think you are getting confused ... the mark was made in 2010 grand final we didnt have a new coach until 2012 ... BJ left in 2013 ...
so what you are trying to say is after the drawn g/f in 2010 BJ and his manager were selling him around to other clubs and didnt get around the new coach (who wasnt even there yet as Lyon hadnt left ) ?!?!?!?

the actual real truth is in 2010 BJ gave his all and then some for the club he did so for evey year with our club .. in 2012 (watters fist year) when he came up for free agency he like every player looked at options ... like just about every player on the list he was less then impressed with Watters but he was willing to stay commited to the club and be part of the Pelchen Rebuild... problem is we as a club got seduced by the draft pick compo and the salary slash removing BJ from the club would bring .. in the end BJ was willing to take less to stay but wanted a 4 year contract not a 3 ... the club were more than happy to let him walk ... so he did .... the very next year we did the exact same thing to Dal ... the year later Roo was being courted by Collingwood and the club realised that Watters was tearing the club apart and Pelchens plan was sketchy ... so Watters was let go , Roo Stayed and Richo was brought in with a changed stratigy on how to rebuild based on Ameet Bains working on bringing inthe talent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds more like to me that the club doesn't want to admit it made a mistake last year.
Just further proof Retcho hasn't a clue.

Leadership? Maturity? Standards? Role-models?

Nup, not a need we have.

Seriously, what a deadset moron.

Mr Sensitive . i was just messing with you , do you even know what i meant when i said that
i have never conversed with you on anything and your first post to me have been in a negative to somehow make some pathetic joke ... jog on campaigner ... you wanna talk footy talk footy but leave the comedy to the people on this site who are actually funny ..

http://m.essendonfc.com.au/video/2018-08-21/btv-bj-farewells-playing-group

Do yourselves a favour and watch this clip.

Not surprising that peanuts on here base their opinion of BJ on less than 120m of footy each week and not the 50h+ spent a week in the club and around the players.

Some great words spoken by Hurley.

I suspect BJ will play AFL next season. But it's about much more than on field perfirmance in terms of how he will help a playing group.

Couldnt see any reason why he we can't fit him on the list. And for the people who whinge about him taking the spot of a younger player...Well maybe that younger player needs to work harder, get better, prepare more professionally to win their spot! Sounds like the culture at sydney hawthorn and geelong to me.

I don't think so

You could take newnes and he'd look 10x better in Essendon right now.
but why is that ?? is it possible that the reason would be the base line skill level at essendon is higher then that at St Kilda ??
i mentioned this in a thread the otherday that realistically where we are at we are not going to bring in a player to improve our top 5 players so in that case our next best bet is to improve the level of our bottom 5 players because out bottome 5 would have to be by far the worst bottom 5 in the comp so improving that by a little margin will improve the list ... thats what we should be doing as our sole focus making our list as strong as possible so we dont have situations where we gift games to guys like Weller week on week because even though he is s**t he is the best we got ....
if thats by bringing in Hannas then so be it if its by bringing in BJ great ... but we really cant get too caught up looking for the perfect player cause a) he doesnt exist and b) if he doese he doesnt want to come to st kilda as we are

i have never conversed with you on anything and your first post to me have been in a negative to somehow make some pathetic joke ... jog on campaigner ... you wanna talk footy talk footy but leave the comedy to the people on this site who are actually funny ..
Look who is playing the man now , i said i was kidding so no need for the campaigner remark pal.
Move on

Back