Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Footywire AFL Statistics Website for Collingwood Player Contracts indicates Sam is only contracted to 2018. Appears Club may have been having a good look prior to any contract extension. Assume that delist could occur with new spot available on list with salary cap reduction.

Door opens for Appleby to claim a spot
In terms of personal, i think he won't be too hard to cover, considering he is a fringe player and I thought Apples/Murphy have been much more reliable this year. Hopefully the headlines don't get to the players.

very disappointing, but there is no time to sulk with us right in the mix for a top 4 position.
Just wondering from the information that we have at the moment can someone who has more knowledge about this please clarify?
1/ Punishment suspension is guaranteed after the investigation?
2/If so what would a minimum suspension best case scenario be ? and what would a worse case scenario suspension be?
3/How long would the asada investigation take to come to some conclusion?
4/ By him not playing seniors or reserves correct me if i am wrong does it count as part of his suspension?

4/ Yes my understanding is if he doesnt play again at any level in 2018 then any suspension will be backdated to two weeks ago when he sat out of the Port game.

Surely the reading in the sample can ascertain whether it was likely the morning of the game or day(s) before?

Also... can he say he quickly racked a few lines in the changeroom toilets after the game? :p

Depends on what type of test they have done. I would guess the initial test is probably an initial +ve/-ve result (much cheaper) and then it would be sent to the lab for levels.
But once its positive (or over a certain threshold) that is all that matters to ASADA re: sanctions given that it was a gameday sample.

The timing of the drug use (either night before, or straight after) would impact the public "story" (similar to Keefe/Thomas) but not the ASADA sanctions.

Far out. Silly, silly boy.

This is just so frustrating having this come out on the eve of our first finals campaign in 5 years! :thumbsdown:

Also gives the journos fodder to trot out the "culture issues" at Collingwood line again. F$#k Me

Also frustrating is the trade price that we gave up to get him in. We can cover him on field (border line best 22) but it's an absolute waste in a good draft year if he cops 4 years. That 2018 2nd rounder would have come in very handy in terms of points to help land Kelly or Quaynor!

Will the club have consequences?

Likely not. It's not the club doping players, like Essendon. Cocaine is only considered a PED on match day, and we lost that day anyway.

The situation would change if there was more than one player giving a positive reading, but even then it would be at the AFL's discretion to strip premiership points.

Last edited:
It wouldn’t be a lead in to a season or finals campaign if Pies didn’t have some controversy or crisis.

If Kane Cornes thinks the Pies are the only club where the wizz fizz gets passed around he doesn’t get out much.

Muzza is obviously dumb as a bag of hammers if he was racking on game day though. Delist and put that coin to good use elsewhere unless the kid can work on his kicking every day for the next 2 years while Uber driving.

Murphy’s time to shine.

It wouldn’t be a lead in to a season or finals campaign if Pies didn’t have some controversy or crisis.

If Kane Cornes thinks the Pies are the only club where the wizz fizz gets passed around he doesn’t get out much.

Muzza is obviously dumb as a bag of hammers if he was racking on game day though. Delist and put that coin to good use elsewhere unless the kid can work on his kicking every day for the next 2 years while Uber driving.

Murphy’s time to shine.
May as well get Appleby in for Oxley once he's had some match fitness through the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Bucks chastised Murray for his performance after the Richmond game Murray was heard responding:

“I wasn't looking out into the crowd, incidentally, I was watching a seagull. Not just an ordinary seagull. It was the prince of seagulls, dazzling me with blasts of pure white every time its wings caught the sun. The roar of the crowd paid homage to its grace and beauty. You ought to try some, Bucks."
Thankfully they didn't have testing back in Hayward's day otherwise he would have been gone too!

In Murray's case, we overpaid for him at the trade table. Now that I have watched him play this season, he cant hit targets and is a turnover merchant which led to opposition goals. Only thing he had was speed. Not a big loss in my opinion.

Brethren, it doesn't have to happen on gameday for elevated levels to be found. 2-4 days or sometimes weeks depending on amount and purity.
I believe it’s more the regularity that you take it rather than a one off quantity. That’s how workplace drug tests pull a positive reading mostly anyway.

In which case he might have a legal argument and avoid punishment. This is not an open and shut case as some are assuming.

Will depend on the letter and the spirit of the law and the findings as to when exactly this drug was taken and whether it could reasonably be assumed to not have had an effect on game day.

Club punishment/list management decisions are a seperate issue for later.
No - sorry this is wrong. The WADA drug code is really simple. If you test positive to a prohibited substance in competition, that is it. Strict liability, straight to 4 years. No question of intent or otherwise. Players are responsible for what is in their body. Once we are at this point, there can be arguments to reduce the sentence because drugs were mistakenly ingested, or that you make a timely admission, even forego the B sample test and cop to using coke or whatever during the week, so you say you weren't trying to enhance your performance. If this argument is successful, there is potential to reduce the 4 year penalty to 2.

As much as we would like to believe it, your bolded sentence is make believe.

If you’re meaning to tell me that in the whole AFL system only 1 guy gets sprung and there is an investigation? How many more have there been this year and they haven’t been leaked?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Strikes?

Bet you more than 1

Fact is; we have Maynard, Langdon, Appleby, and now Murphy who all play a similar role and have equivalent if not greater experience. Quaynor is also likely to join that group next year. Murray has some tools but is far from irreplaceable, and as of this year we are no longer a basket case club who need to uhm and ahh over a fringe talent.

Life comes at you fast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back