News Lachie Neale to Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story
What? To be clear Im saying the draft pick we got Darcy with was gained by trading a seperate future second round pick in a different trade to the pick 3 trade.
This was the trade:
'CAM MCCARTHY is officially a Fremantle Docker after the club used pick No.3 to reach a deal with Greater Western Sydney.The Dockers have handed over pick No.3 in return for McCarthy and picks seven, 34 and 72 in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft.'
McCarthy was traded in. Pick 7 was used on Logue. Pick 34 was traded for Hamling and a slight pick downgrade with later picks. The Hamling trade also helped get us an exchange of picks to get pick 61. Which ended up being Ryan at pick 66 after father son and academy selections. Not sure what you are on about here Jedi.

Last edited:
What? To be clear Im saying the draft pick we got Darcy with was gained by trading a seperate future second round pick in a different trade to the pick 3 trade.
This was the trade:
'CAM MCCARTHY is officially a Fremantle Docker after the club used pick No.3 to reach a deal with Greater Western Sydney.The Dockers have handed over pick No.3 in return for McCarthy and picks seven, 34 and 72 in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft.'
McCarthy was traded in. Pick 7 was used on Logue. Pick 34 was traded for Hamling and a slight pick downgrade with later picks. The Hamling trade also helped get us an exchange of picks to get pick 61. Which ended up being Ryan at pick 66 after father son and academy selections. Not sure what you are on about here Jedi.

Sorry mate it wasn't a dig at you

Every day of the week.

Also, Taranto is superior to McLuggage to this point for mine. He has been playing a lot more on the inside and has much higher CP and clearance numbers.
McLuggae had a slow start to the year, but a fantastic run of games in the second half of the season where he linked up play brilliantly and played a key role in Brisbane's improved form. Both are doing well.

So Logue, Cam, Hamling and Ryan for Mccluggage. I'd take that.

To be fair Hamling and Ryan were got with some pretty rubbish picks. I'm sure if we had kept pick 3 we could have still done some deals to get the equivalent of pick 35 and 66 and got the pair anyway.

Logue and Cam + spare change for pick 3 looks a little less appealing. In saying that I still reckon Logue will develop into a handy defender for us (fingers crossed he can spend time in the midfield).

Is Hill actually going to dominate at AFL as a small forward? I understand we lack pure speed forward, but we had the
chance to take Rioli, and plenty wanted him in Freo colours.
Small forwards like Rioli, Ryan, even Kelly at Geelong, dominate the minor leagues, even right under our noses.
At worst they are average in AFL, but the general body of work is there to judge and against men.
What about Swita?

To be fair Hamling and Ryan were got with some pretty rubbish picks. I'm sure if we had kept pick 3 we could have still done some deals to get the equivalent of pick 35 and 66 and got the pair anyway.

Logue and Cam + spare change for pick 3 looks a little less appealing. In saying that I still reckon Logue will develop into a handy defender for us (fingers crossed he can spend time in the midfield).
No, because then we would have missed out on guys like Darcy or Cox, picks 38 and 41 respectively. Trading that pick 3 and turning it into 4 best 22 players is a key pillar of our rebuild and a big factor in us winning 8 games this year and not turning into a Carlton or Gold Coast. It's probably the best trade this club has ever done apart from the Weller trade.

No, because then we would have missed out on guys like Darcy or Cox, picks 38 and 41 respectively. Trading that pick 3 and turning it into 4 best 22 players is a key pillar of our rebuild and a big factor in us winning 8 games this year and not turning into a Carlton or Gold Coast. It's probably the best trade this club has ever done.

But, but, but.....

McCluggage over Logue!

No, because then we would have missed out on guys like Darcy or Cox, picks 38 and 41 respectively. Trading that pick 3 and turning it into 4 best 22 players is a key pillar of our rebuild and a big factor in us winning 8 games this year and not turning into a Carlton or Gold Coast. It's probably the best trade this club has ever done apart from the Weller trade.

So if the main element of the trade 3 -> 7 + Cam is a failure (not saying it is yet) you'd still put it down as a massive success? I think in that case your just getting lucky that we managed to snare three gems in Darcy, Cox and Ryan. Got nothing to do with the trade itself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if the main element of the trade 3 -> 7 + Cam is a failure (not saying it is yet) you'd still put it down as a massive success? I think in that case your just getting lucky that we managed to snare three gems in Darcy, Cox and Ryan. Got nothing to do with the trade itself.
There is an element of luck in all trades/draft. Mccluggage could do a Morabito and retire in his mid twenties due to injury or not come on as much as everyone expects. Im fairly sure the club wanted Logue all along anyway but my memory is a bit hazy on that.

But that was the trade. So you can’t just ignore it and say we’d have got the picks elsewhere to make those selections happen.
The downgrade gave us some massive selections. Therefore the trade was massive.
I’m not understanding your relentless pursuit to make it seem that we missed out on Taranto or McLuggage and the downgrade was a bad move.

Makes no sense whatsoever, you cant just ignore parts that suit your argument. There are no "main" parts, the trade is what it was

Makes no sense whatsoever, you cant just ignore parts that suit your argument. There are no "main" parts, the trade is what it was

The whole point of this discussion was me saying that trading down in the draft is not a strategy I want us to do and that we should use pick 5 on elite talent.

If we are relying on our late draft picks to not make us losers at the draft table then maybe, just maybe that's not the way to go.

Super frustrating that some posters (not saying you) can never post a negative/questioning post about the club and have to make out everything we do is golden. I've got a red hot tip, it's not.

The whole point of this discussion was me saying that trading down in the draft is not a strategy I want us to do and that we should use pick 5 on elite talent.

If we are relying on our late draft picks to not make us losers at the draft table then maybe, just maybe that's not the way to go.

Super frustrating that some posters (not saying you) can never post a negative/questioning post about the club and have to make out everything we do is golden. I've got a red hot tip, it's not.
I agree with you on negative part and from what ive read, Cobbler does too. I dont think that trade is a very good example however

Maybe your right.

I still super keen to keep pick 5.
I am definitely keen to keep at least one of them in the top 6 (at this point, I'm consigned to Neale leaving). I rate Kelly higher than others and would be happy to turn 6 into 12 and get Hill. Would also be over the ******* moon with Rankine and Rozee.

It’s a sad case of you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Freo have finally IMO made a massive move towards WA talent.

I’m in favour of downgrading to get Ian Hill because he’s WA talent.

If we do have 4 and 5 we should make a massive push to get pick 2 from GC and land Lukosious. Upgrade our selection. But that would be much riskier.

I mean would we do 4 and 5 for 2 and 18? Because that’s what it would take.

I’m also massively in favour of the downgrade if we get someone with it like Lobb or Duncan.

It’s a sad case of you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Freo have finally IMO made a massive move towards WA talent.

I’m in favour of downgrading to get Ian Hill because he’s WA talent.

If we do have 4 and 5 we should make a massive push to get pick 2 from GC and land Lukosious. Upgrade our selection. But that would be much riskier.

I mean would we do 4 and 5 for 2 and 18? Because that’s what it would take.

I’m also massively in favour of the downgrade if we get someone with it like Lobb or Duncan.
Lukosious is an interesting one.

Not the power forward but more of Mobile tall who runs all day with beautiful skills. Could play as a tall winger. PS not a great contested mark.

I really like the idea of swapping picks 5,6 for 2,19. Not sure the suns like the idea.

Then on trade pick 19 for Lobb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back