Vic Best nightspots to go in Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Wut?

I dunno, isn't it just good to know a decent pub will always have the game on or flick it on if you ask? There's a lot of situations where you sort of want to watch a game (mates, it's not on free to air) but there's also something good about just wanting to go down the pub and the footy's on. You're not going out of your way to do it, but it's fun sitting there watching Suns v Port with your mate and taking the piss out of the whole thing, laughing about some prick's haircut or bitching about some coach you hate.

Plus even if I really do want to watch a particular game, the idea of missing out on Derm or Basil isn't really a make or break... they're more visual gags at this point...

wtf? It's on the TV. No one is forcing you to watch it. It's an option. And how precious are you about watching footy that you'd rather sit at home and do it and take it all in because like, your mates'll make you laugh too much that you don't see a minute of a rolling maul. And this idea it excludes people? The joke is most people sit down the pub and spend an inordinate amount of time on their phone's answering texts, the footy isn't some invasive thing. It's just something on to look up at, and to have in the background, and there's a lot to be said for knowing this pub will always have the game on.

Never thought I'd have to justify that a pub that regularly shows the footy is a good thing. On a footy forum. On a page about pubs. To a bunch of 22-30 year old blokes. Am I pissed already?

I wouldn't specifically go to a pub to watch Freo but I wouldn't specifically do anything to watch those campaigners. But even if it was a big game, dunno, the idea that I'd potentially lose track for a few minutes because I was yarnin' doesn't seem a negative.

Plenty of good pubs used to hate putting the footy on in Melbourne because there was this association that it'd get bogans in and denigrate the vibe or something ludicrous. It used to s**t me that if you wouldn't mind watching a bit of it, you'd have to go somewhere way worse.

Basically you like the status quo because you're not watching the game anyway.

Mini golf with alcohol sounds great if it was in a converted warehouse or something. Holey Moley instead looks like a few holes crammed into an old shop. Can picture everybody shouting. s**t gimmick to get people through the doors once and locked in to buying drinks for 2 hours.

In the US I went to a pub (they probably wouldn't call it that but it was an old building on the corner of residential streets) where there was screens on all walls and the sound up loud for the UFC event. I think UFC mostly sucks but I liked that nearly everybody was actively watching it while getting trashed. That'd only happen here for the AFL Grand Final.

In the US I went to a pub (they probably wouldn't call it that but it was an old building on the corner of residential streets) where there was screens on all walls and the sound up loud for the UFC event. I think UFC mostly sucks but I liked that nearly everybody was actively watching it while getting trashed. That'd only happen here for the AFL Grand Final.

Mayweather vs McGregor had that kind of atmosphere, at least where I watched it.

They have a lot to answer for in general, those companies, probably some of the campaigneriest in the world. You can spy their pubs because they're half-arsed makeovers of classic, great looking exteriors but inside it's either wannabe-Ye Olde or sanitised and all sheeny and chic. Really bright lights. Stella in those goblets. 'Beers of the month.' Odd s**t like Redback on tap. Parmas with 30% meat.

Stratton_Gun JG22 PP34 Gibbsy you lads been following this Lilydale meme page v Rats malarkey on facebook?

Sixteen year old says shithole nightclub is a shithole nightclub, not much else, and then old mate Hugh Waters says he's got a $500 reward for anyone who gives him the name of the admin. Very, like, Gatto-style. Or Spaghetti Western. Honestly what the *?

Stratton_Gun JG22 PP34 Gibbsy you lads been following this Lilydale meme page v Rats malarkey on facebook?

Sixteen year old says shithole nightclub is a shithole nightclub, not much else, and then old mate Hugh Waters says he's got a $500 reward for anyone who gives him the name of the admin. Very, like, Gatto-style. Or Spaghetti Western. Honestly what the ****?
Haven't been there in almost 2 years I reckon but looked up the beef. Very petty by Rats and like they would actually sue

Sixteen year old says shithole nightclub is a shithole nightclub, not much else, and then old mate Hugh Waters says he's got a $500 reward for anyone who gives him the name of the admin. Very, like, Gatto-style. Or Spaghetti Western. Honestly what the ****?

Lol Hugh-e Waters, renowned absolute scumbag.

Just saw it this morning.

Doesn’t even surprise me. Genuine campaigners at that dump.

Imagine caring what some meme page thinks of your shithole club. Just laughable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any decent places worth hitting up on King St tonight? Usually not my scene, but will be pinging and looking for a banger club without too many popped collar DHs

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
There’s not a heap of options on a Friday night, and a couple of the few that are open are collared shirt type joints.

Persa is alright, never been Circus but that’s on I think. Both out of the cbd.

one time i went to a girl's house for kick-ons after a night out, and the UE Boom they had there's bluetooth connection name was Hugh Waters. i laughed and the girls who lived there said someone left it there one time, and that they didn't know who hugh waters was. would love to meet the person who called it that originally

one time i went to a girl's house for kick-ons after a night out, and the UE Boom they had there's bluetooth connection name was Hugh Waters. i laughed and the girls who lived there said someone left it there one time, and that they didn't know who hugh waters was. would love to meet the person who called it that originally
'Ahhh might have stick to the hugh waters this time'

King St kingpin and has owned/operated nightclubs for ~15 years
He might think he's a bit Tarantino with all the '$500 for a name' malarky, but kingpin is very very kind to him. And flattering. Bloke's not operating Corsica Studios, Fabric, or Low End Theory.

Four posts in a row. Damn. 'pls respond.'

Anyway what's with: the Great Britain Hotel being closed? In Richmond. All signs of life date as far as 2015 but I was going there at least early last year. They used to do $7 pints of anything until about 5pm and the beer garden was pretty dece, free pool some arvos too.

Also why is there not a proper and good pub anywhere from North Melbourne, Kensington, Flemington, Ascot Vale, Moonee Ponds, and Essendon? I get some people a little more narrow in the corridor can easily get to Brunny and drink but honestly wtf. Just a heap of wine bars for 45-year old single women. I reckon if you got somewhere like the Union and made it actually good you could print money. Such a huge market. Tram line there, get people from even Maribyrnong, do your staples like Coopers and Furph for 9 bucks, have a burger night, nice beer garden. All I want is a simple pub with a decent facade, tap prices that don't gouge you, and a nice beer garden. Fmd I'm frothin for an ale and there's nowhere! Even the Doot has potential but they're too busy wanting to be some sort of Budapest backpacker's den.

Four posts in a row. Damn. 'pls respond.'

Anyway what's with: the Great Britain Hotel being closed? In Richmond. All signs of life date as far as 2015 but I was going there at least early last year. They used to do $7 pints of anything until about 5pm and the beer garden was pretty dece, free pool some arvos too.

Also why is there not a proper and good pub anywhere from North Melbourne, Kensington, Flemington, Ascot Vale, Moonee Ponds, and Essendon? I get some people a little more narrow in the corridor can easily get to Brunny and drink but honestly wtf. Just a heap of wine bars for 45-year old single women. I reckon if you got somewhere like the Union and made it actually good you could print money. Such a huge market. Tram line there, get people from even Maribyrnong, do your staples like Coopers and Furph for 9 bucks, have a burger night, nice beer garden. All I want is a simple pub with a decent facade, tap prices that don't gouge you, and a nice beer garden. Fmd I'm frothin for an ale and there's nowhere! Even the Doot has potential but they're too busy wanting to be some sort of Budapest backpacker's den.

Nothing good in North Melbourne? It's been a while but that surprises me.

Essendon doesn't, boring WASP capital of Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back