List Mgmt. 2018 Trade and Free Agency Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smell a rat???
Sounds like Peter Bell has personally written this article himself. I smell a rat myself...
Morris doesn't seem to understand the phrase. He's heard it a lot though as it has been used in his presence plenty.

Morris doesn't seem to understand the phrase. He's heard it a lot though as it has been used in his presence plenty.
It was a weird choice of words.

Hogan. “I looking for my next contract to be 8 years please”
Freo “I smell a rat”

???

WTF? Did Bell go hmmmm - clearly this young man has legs that will explode in 5 years? Or did they go hmmm, he’s clearly lying. He only wants 4 years and is trying to trick us?

I wish their were some better AFL journos. Not good ones obviously, that is crazy talk. Just better.

I’m positive the club has a plan, both for Jesse and the next 48 hours. I don’t have any further updates which to me suggests that yesterday’s little bluff period worked, or at least went to plan. I reckon we might see KK go down today as a sign that we are not sitting and waiting, but are moving on.

Say whatever you want about JM’s trade style but he obviously goes in to each one with a strategy and gets what he wants.

Edit: AFL.com reporting that 5,23,30 is now the asking price. I never heard 30 originally (but this could have been overlooked as insignificant). Very possible though the club has added this in the last 72 hours. Hilarious if this is the case. Would also line up with a possible pick swap (for those following other posts).

Last edited:
This trade period really does feel like there's a massive party going on and we're simply not invited. All the clubs around us are grabbing bargains or A Grade talent, and we're just sitting on our hands waiting for Freo to blink. And even if they do, I'm not sure May replacing Hogan is strengthening our list. You could argue we break even, but Hogan is more valuable than May.

I look at the Kangas picking up Hall for a bag of chips and think how the f*** did we not get this done? Even Scully! As much as i hate the guy, he is exactly what we need. Why aren't we in the race for him seeing hes also going for a packet of chips? Very strange and disappointing trade period for us. I know it's not over, but if all we do is pick up some speculative mid range kids and promote a few Casey players or rookies, then the other teams around us have gained some good advantage on us.

100% agree with this ... but I have faith in Mahoney and Jason Taylor and Co. They better have a plan!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Edmund reporting we'll be happy to take pick 5 on its own...for ****s sake, grow a dick and stand your ground.

The Age (Michael Gleeson, Jake Niall & Peter Ryan) says we want 5, 23 & 30. I still think that is unders, unless we have a plan to trade up with 23 & 30 into the first round. My concern is that I can't see any teams in front of pick 23 who need points, but I may be wrong/clueless on this!

If we’re going to consider accepting unders I’d rather hang in to Hogan for a year. However I can see Mahoney and co possibly being too keen to get a deal done. They desperately want May and won’t want to go into next trade period with a chance of losing Hogan and not gaining May. I just hope that if we do accept unders it’s not just pick 5.

Apparently Collingwood is more keen on May than Beames. But we are May's first choice.

If May doesnt get to us Collingwood will go hard at him and Beames will stay at the Lions.

Freo holding up the whole trade period.

I’m positive the club has a plan, both for Jesse and the next 48 hours. I don’t have any further updates which to me suggests that yesterday’s little bluff period worked, or at least went to plan. I reckon we might see KK go down today as a sign that we are not sitting and waiting, but are moving on.

Say whatever you want about JM’s trade style but he obviously goes in to each one with a strategy and gets what he wants.

Edit: AFL.com reporting that 5,23,30 is now the asking price. I never heard 30 originally (but this could have been overlooked as insignificant). Very possible though the club has added this in the last 72 hours. Hilarious if this is the case. Would also line up with a possible pick swap (for those following other posts).

I'd be hoping we say to Freo what you get for Neale comes straight to us, otherwise keep your picks. Go on, take Max King, and we'll come and get him in a few years' time ;)
Unless we know for sure that we can package up 23 and 30 into a deal for a player (did someone say Luke Parker??) or a higher draft pick, I wouldn't be doing it.
Pick 5 alone is laughable.

I’m convinced Bell has been reading Trump’s “Art of the Deal”. His negotiation ‘strategy’ fits with what I imagine the book to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually, it's a good read. A lot of common sense stuff, but worth reading... it's more about not allowing yourself to get screwed in a deal than it is about screwing others.

I doubt he would have carried himself the way Bell has during this trade period. His focus would have been on the big picture.

What happened to "we are pulling out of this race"?

Tinker has embarrassed himself by withdrawing offers and ending talks only to announce that he is flying into Melb this morning for talks with the Dees.

Bell is clearly out of his depth.

Advantage Melbourne

I'd be hoping we say to Freo what you get for Neale comes straight to us, otherwise keep your picks. Go on, take Max King, and we'll come and get him in a few years' time ;)
Unless we know for sure that we can package up 23 and 30 into a deal for a player (did someone say Luke Parker??) or a higher draft pick, I wouldn't be doing it.
Pick 5 alone is laughable.

A move for Parker is one that doesn’t go away but not linked to us specifically, outside of that random FB thing (which I just liked).

There's a few different scenarios being talked about in relation to Jesse, so I thought I'd have a crack at putting them in order of which ones I'd want to happen.

1. Jesse stays, and we somehow manage to trade in May with some creative pick swapping and a bit of Mahoney magic
2. Jesse goes, we use what we receive from Freo to bring in May plus another ready to go player. (outside mid ideally)
3. Jesse goes, we use what we receive from Freo to bring in May and improve our draft position, packaging picks to get into the first round
4. Jesse stays and we take our current picks to the draft without bringing in any player of significance (apologies to KK and Preuss)
5. Jesse goes and everything we get from Freo goes to GC for May.
6. Jesse goes, we don't get May or anyone else and we just take the pick/s to the draft

I'd be happy enough with any of the first three options, the 4th would be unders from a pure trade perspective but probably still helps our 2019 flag aspirations, while the 5th option might be better from a trade value point of view but doesn't immediately improve our chances of winning a flag, which is why it's my least favourite option.

In each scenario, except for the last one, it doesn't really matter which picks we get from Freo as long as they allow us to make moves once the picks are ours. Therefore, I'm purposefully not indicating which picks I'd want in the scenarios, there are too many variables to know which picks allow which plans to unfold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back