Toast Sam Alabakis is with St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I like it, young and actually taller than most rucks. rugby and basketball background, very athletic. Give him a few years to develop and you never know
Moves well around the court and agile, not sure any of our big guys would be able to do that

Just for clarification can someone please explain the implications of rookie lists etc? The article on AFL states that he is signed as a category B rookie. How is this different from a category A rookie and Seniors?

There's a limited amount of rookies that you can have (usually 4-6), but you can add to that if you can get guys who are eligible for Cat B. That means they're either international, from other sports, or haven't been registered to play for an Aussie Rules club for three years.

seriously do you wake up in the morning complaining that the sun is to bright ? it seems anything the club does without fail you will make a comment about how s**t a move it is ? does anything at all impress you or make you happy ? its a serious question cause its a very serious trait to have and it might be worth getting it looked at...
I knew someone would bite

:D Rofl

211cm is Mason Cox and Aaron Sandilands size, you literally hardly have to leave the ground and you will get a few hitouts. Puts him up to the same height as the tallest AFL players ever. You don't need nuance when you have size.

You may be thinking of Geremy McKay :

Jun 21, 2018
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-21/saints-frontrunners-for-200cm-104kg-basketballer

ST KILDA is leading the race to sign Category B rookie Geremy McKay after the talented basketballer trained with its VFL team last week.

McKay is the grandson of former Saints defender Tom McKay, who played 23 games for the club between 1959-1964.

Perhaps interesting to note that the two College Basketballers that we have supposedly looked at are both actually Aussies who would have both at least played football to some extent growing up here.

Given our shocking record with development that makes a lot of senses as it would be a lot easier for us to try and develop basketballers such as these rather than Americans who have never kicked a football before.

This was the fella I was thinking of, surely we can't take both of them.....

https://thewest.com.au/sport/st-kil...signs-rookie-deal-with-st-kilda-ng-b88993764z

WA basketball young gun Sam Alabakis signs rookie deal with St Kilda
Nick RynneThe West Australian
Thursday, 18 October 2018 12:30PMNick Rynne
1539768012855_GKL1SOF6I.1-2.jpg

Sam Alabakis, former basketballer and Wildcats training player who has signed a rookie footy deal with St Kilda.Picture: Mogens Johansen/The West Australian
The success of Mason Cox at Collingwood has paved the way for former basketballers to make a mark on the AFL, and St Kilda are hoping Perth’s Sam Alabakis can be the next player to make the leap.

The 211cm ruck prospect has signed a two-year contract to join the Saints as a category-B rookie after being identified by the club’s ruck coach Adam Skrobalak while playing college hoops with the University of Louisiana Monroe.

A former Perth Wildcats training squad member, Alabakis has never had any major exposure to organised football, but a skills session conducted with the Saints at Langley Park in June convinced the club of his potential.

The former Hale School student trained with St Kilda’s VFL affiliate side Sandringham towards the end of the season and honed his kicking with the help of former WAFL player Mark Deaves while in the US. Deaves joined ULM this year as a punter on the football team.

Alabakis said he was confident his skills would be able to stack up, but admitted the conditioning required to transition from basketball to elite-level AFL would take time to build up.

“I’ve had a lot of people say that you could be the next Mason Cox, but I can’t think like that - I’d rather be the next Sam Alabakis,” he said.

1539768012855_GVN1SONLC.1-0.jpg

Alabakis (centre, back) celebrating the Wildcats’ 2015-16 title.Picture: Sharon Smith/The West Australian
“My goal for playing (an AFL game) would probably be within the next two to three years, but I don’t want to rush the process, I just have to trust the process.

“I’m in it for the long haul, I’ve just got to put the work in. Nothing is going to be given.”

St Kilda head of list management James Gallagher said the club had high hopes for Alabakis, who will join Cox and Aaron Sandilands as the equal-tallest players in the league.

The 21-year-old played rugby as a junior, another element the club believes will help his transition.

“His height is obviously a huge advantage, but his kicking abilities and natural athleticism have been among some really promising early indicators,” Gallagher said.

I knew someone would bite

:D Rofl
sorry didnt get the irony in your post ... seen many comments of that ilk on facebook from people who are seriously angry by this apointment so assumed you were on that band wagon ...

honestly the hate on the facebook page people would think we gave up pick 4 for him ...

sorry didnt get the irony in your post ... seen many comments of that ilk on facebook from people who are seriously angry by this apointment so assumed you were on that band wagon ...

honestly the hate on the facebook page people would think we gave up pick 4 for him ...
All good mate

theres a few options

longer to Franga
Big Sam to Sandy
Big Lewie to AFL

and shuffle as we see fit ...

I doubt longer will be allowed to go to Franga , pretty sure it was a once of thing
Correctomundo. I'd imagine Scrotumblack won't be coaching there next year either.
Its not like when we had 4 rucks either.
Roma in the 1s most weeks with Lewie or Billy, and Sam is cat B so has to stay in vfl.
The equasion is right except for Billy being a fat lazy kent..

I like it the more I think about it.

Its like the Saints have finally realised that Sandy and Cox have been effective. Hopefully it pays off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“I’ve had a lot of people say that you could be the next Mason Cox, but I can’t think like that - I’d rather be the next Sam Alabakis,” he said.”

I like the sound of this kid.
At some stage we have to get lucky with a spec pick. Let’s hope he’s it :praying:

Love this signing! I know it’s very unlikely to see a debut next season but I’ll definitely be hoping for it.

I saw someone say that the majority of Cat B rookies have no prior AFL experience? If this is true I find it a little unfair that some people get the opportunity based off other codes and physical features, compared to a lot of players that have played and loved footy their entire lives yet get overlooked.

Love this signing! I know it’s very unlikely to see a debut next season but I’ll definitely be hoping for it.

I saw someone say that the majority of Cat B rookies have no prior AFL experience?

Well yes that is the whole point of this development category. It allows club to try out great talents who are howeve gambles because of their lack of AFL experience.

If this is true I find it a little unfair that some people get the opportunity based off other codes and physical features, compared to a lot of players that have played and loved footy their entire lives yet get overlooked.

Unfair? So you want recruiting based upon participation awards?

Great. Another ruckman who can’t ruck. Bloke is a friggin basketballer. Not getting my hopes up
He went to Hale college. Very high probability he has descended from a long line of over achievers.

I saw someone say that the majority of Cat B rookies have no prior AFL experience? If this is true I find it a little unfair that some people get the opportunity based off other codes and physical features, compared to a lot of players that have played and loved footy their entire lives yet get overlooked.
I would consider thinking this through a bit more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back