Mega Thread 2018 Trade Period Discussion part 2! (cont. in Part 3 - link in OP)

What are we going to do??

• 4 picks 21 and under? Back in Hamish!

Votes: 74 67.9%
  • Trade up! We’re getting Lukosius / Rankine / Rozee!!!

Votes: 35 32.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They obviously didn't know, but I doubt that would have made any difference.

I'm not a big fan of picking up someone else's rejects, on the basis of "they just didn't get an opportunity because that part of their team is loaded with talent". If they're not good enough to get a place in their team, then adding them to ours does not move us closer to matching them.

Not sure I agree with that. Plenty of examples of players that could not get an opportunity at one club thriving in a different environment. I know it's a different sport, but the Patriots in the NFL are renowned for turning junk into gold with their system. They have just grabbed Josh Gordon for bugger all from the Browns, and he is starting to really turn it on.

if we managed to get 4 & 6
Assuming we know GC will take king twins

CAR- Walsh
GC- TWIN
GC- TWIN
US- Rankine
Pert - Luko
US - Rozee

We may be able to get luko back in a couple years
If we had pick 4 I'd suggest we would pick Luko
How would we get him back from Port at 5 ?
Where is 6 coming from & how

They obviously didn't know, but I doubt that would have made any difference.

I'm not a big fan of picking up someone else's rejects, on the basis of "they just didn't get an opportunity because that part of their team is loaded with talent". If they're not good enough to get a place in their team, then adding them to ours does not move us closer to matching them.
Theres a number of recruits who've been in exactly that position, not all have been stars but theres some handy players. Tom Lynch, Josh Kennedy, Ben Jacobs, Josh Caddy immediately spring to mind.

They were all traded and weren't exactly setting the world alight at their former clubs.

If we had pick 4 I'd suggest we would pick Luko
How would we get him back from Port at 5 ?
Where is 6 coming from & how
We probably would, but I'm not sure Port would. They're a very very tall lineup already.

We probably would, but I'm not sure Port would. They're a very very tall lineup already.
Yes. Port would be loathe to play him.
Ryder, lycett, westhoof, howard, dixon,
Would make him getable from port imo.

i realise im connecting a lot of dots, just spitballing

they may take rozee and leave us with Luko too....

Theres a number of recruits who've been in exactly that position, not all have been stars but theres some handy players. Tom Lynch, Josh Kennedy, Ben Jacobs, Josh Caddy immediately spring to mind.

They were all traded and weren't exactly setting the world alight at their former clubs.
Brett Kirk and Peter Bell both delisted and went on to carve out good careers afterwards, Stephan Gilham delisted by Port after 1 game went on to be crucial in defence for the Hawks including one of their best in the 2008 Grand Final.

Thank the saints and no thanks. 3 1st round picks for a rookie. Dylan Shiel went for 2 1st rounds.
I wonder if the demands that say St Kilda are putting on their pick 4 (which they have every right to do) will come back to bite them down the track if they ever want to trade for one of our players. It almost seems that for a rebuilding club like St Kilda that to not take say picks 8 & 13 to get 2 top young players in for a top 4 pick that only gets 1 player in is bad list management. If the deal was picks 15 & 30 for pick 4 - sure that looks a poor deal but hell - 2 x top 13 picks with one being top 10. I almost hope whoever they take at 4 is a big bust and it stuff them up going forward if they want to be ridiculous about what they are demanding

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes. Port would be loathe to play him.
Ryder, lycett, westhoof, howard, dixon,
Would make him getable from port imo.

i realise im connecting a lot of dots, just spitballing

they may take rozee and leave us with Luko too....

Westhoff is 32 and about to play his final season, Ryder will be 31 next season and either in his last or second last, and Dougal Howard is their version of Elliot Himmelberg. There's not a chance in the world they don't take him, unless they have to choose between him and Rankine.

Westhoff is 32 and about to play his final season, Ryder will be 31 next season and either in his last or second last, and Dougal Howard is their version of Elliot Himmelberg. There's not a chance in the world they don't take him, unless they have to choose between him and Rankine.
i agree they take him.
Just mean that with their current list it will be difficult to play him with all those other talls...

True story. When I am doing my fat boy exercises, I watch old Crows games whilst I go. If someone in the future was to see a 3 minute highlights package of Mookay, they would think he was one of the elite wingmen of his era and no telling them otherwise would change their mind. Never realised just how many gun goals he has kicked, their would be multiple highlights of him taking the ball, running 50 and slotting it
You need to exercise less. It's messing with your memory

OK tell me more about Luke Partington then and your reasoning to say that.

East Perth's 2018 Best and Fairest, 24 votes in the 2018 Sandover Medal, East Perth's top vote getter, only 21 years old and unable to break into WCE's stacked midfield.
But Bicks, wouldn't West Coast have offered Partington up at the Trade Table ? ......or are clubs thinking of maybe a DFA ?

True story. When I am doing my fat boy exercises, I watch old Crows games whilst I go. If someone in the future was to see a 3 minute highlights package of Mookay, they would think he was one of the elite wingmen of his era and no telling them otherwise would change their mind. Never realised just how many gun goals he has kicked, their would be multiple highlights of him taking the ball, running 50 and slotting it
A Mackay highlights package would be quite spectacular actually. The only problem is that each clip would be about 2 years apart!

I suspect that the Saints and GC would want a hell of a lot more for pick 3/4 than 13 and 16, if the roles were reversed and we did a deal like that we'd be wanting to burn down the club.

8, 13 and 16 may potentially get us 4 or 5, maybe if we went 8, 13 and our 2019 1st we might be able to get our hands on Pick 2.

The reality is that pick 2 gets us Lukosious, but it's going to cost the king's ransom to get our hands on it.
NOT EVEN REMOTELY INTERESTED !!! .......If Dangerfield were on our list now & being traded, he wouldn't command those picks

Simon Lethlean said there had been discussion with us about pick 8 & 13 but they'd be looking for more than that, probably 16, to even consider it

KzKvRDS.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back