Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
First Man: Film about 8.5 outta 10 all up. The music and soundtrack used 10/10. Really elevated the film (or maybe the film elevated the music!) This director seems to direct his films like a musical arrangement or with that thought of structure or influence in mind. The Chazelle/Hurwitz collab is very strong! Some of the space and rocket sequences were pretty incredible. Obviously a lot of technical nuance has gone into it and on top of that the tension created in some of these scenes was quite a thrilling.
I'm a sucker for these sort of films. The Right Stuff and Interstellar come to mind. Saw it at a Hoyts Imax. Didn't disappoint. Good performances. Very enjoyable session.

First Man: Film about 8.5 outta 10 all up. The music and soundtrack used 10/10. Really elevated the film (or maybe the film elevated the music!) This director seems to direct his films like a musical arrangement or with that thought of structure or influence in mind. The Chazelle/Hurwitz collab is very strong! Some of the space and rocket sequences were pretty incredible. Obviously a lot of technical nuance has gone into it and on top of that the tension created in some of these scenes was quite a thrilling.
I'm a sucker for these sort of films. The Right Stuff and Interstellar come to mind. Saw it at a Hoyts Imax. Didn't disappoint. Good performances. Very enjoyable session.
Pretty much this - watched it last night and it was spellbinding stuff. Gosling will have his hand up come award season and Foy will be nominated (shouldn't win but will get nominated).

The Bad Times at El Royale

Just plain boring. Overlong, overstuffed, not as clever or witty as it thinks it is, nor as fun or interesting. Kind of stunts its own mystery way too early. Only good thing is Chris Hemsworth's abs. 4/10

Apostle

Never gets more interesting than its premise. 4/10

22 July

As nuanced as a Wikipedia entry. 2/10

First Man

Beautifully captures the stress of being shot into space in a rickety tin can. Immerses you in more than just the primitive nature of spaceflight though, it grounds itself in as many subtle, quiet moments too. Chazelle's best movie. 9/10

A Star is Born

Bradley Cooper can't help but make a movie about Lady Gaga more about himself. Might have been better as a straight up movie about his country-rockstar persona but this will do. He was phenomenal. 8/10

I saw I.T this morning starring Pierce Brosnan. I enjoyed it although the end could have been better.

First Man was decent, without being amazing.

I actually enjoyed the family side of it more, as I didn't know anything about it.

The space scenes were well shot, though; Chazelle would rival JC Chandor as the most "must see" director for me, due to their technical abilities.

Well said, pretty much agree.

First Man was decent, without being amazing.

I actually enjoyed the family side of it more, as I didn't know anything about it.

The space scenes were well shot, though; Chazelle would rival JC Chandor as the most "must see" director for me, due to their technical abilities.
And with this as well. I have Chazelle way ahead of Chandor, getting close to the likes of PTA, Fincher, Innaritu, Cuaron and Villeneuve.

Bad Times at the El Royale. 6/10. Really disappointing third act up until then it was heading towards a 9 or even a 10/10. Kinda strange that a writer could be so good then so bad.

Also having recently seen Mandy and Linus Roaches amazing Manson impression, Hemsworth felt a little flat.

Bad Times at the El Royale. 6/10. Really disappointing third act up until then it was heading towards a 9 or even a 10/10. Kinda strange that a writer could be so good then so bad.

Also having recently seen Mandy and Linus Roaches amazing Manson impression, Hemsworth felt a little flat.
Have to agree with this. The arrival of the cult added nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First Man. Pretty good. Although was somewhat distracted by some bloke 2 seats down on the aisle who spent 90% of the film on his phone. Only stopping to eat and glance at the screen. Why the f^$ would you go to a movie to do that? And also, shout out to the bloke who as Neil Armstrong descended the ladder started snoring.

22 July - interesting enough and well made. Gets a bit bogged down in the 2nd half tho as Breivik plays the victim & endeavors to have his politics and ideals become the focus in court. 6/10

First Man. Pretty good. Although was somewhat distracted by some bloke 2 seats down on the aisle who spent 90% of the film on his phone. Only stopping to eat and glance at the screen. Why the f^$ would you go to a movie to do that? And also, shout out to the bloke who as Neil Armstrong descended the ladder started snoring.

Sounds like an average trip to gold class in phantom13 's world :tearsofjoy:

First Man. I enjoyed it, but because I have been hearing stories from my father from his days working with NASA, I knew most of the background (not the family stuff) and so some of the errors annoyed me a little. There were some scenes that impressed such as the Gemini 8 take-off with all the noise, the rattling sounds and vibrations it will be the closest I'll ever get to being "strapped into a tin can with a thousand tons of rocket fuel strapped to me ass."
Overall 8/10.

I did that in Ant Man. Was the day Port played Fremantle.

Sent from mTalk

First Man. I enjoyed it, but because I have been hearing stories from my father from his days working with NASA, I knew most of the background (not the family stuff) and so some of the errors annoyed me a little. There were some scenes that impressed such as the Gemini 8 take-off with all the noise, the rattling sounds and vibrations it will be the closest I'll ever get to being "strapped into a tin can with a thousand tons of rocket fuel strapped to me ass."
Overall 8/10.

What were the errors in the film?

What were the errors in the film?

The first one in the film is an obvious mistake (to me at least), the X-15 flight took in April 1962 not 1961 as mentioned in film. Also, according to film it flew to a height of 147,000 feet, but in reality it went up to 207,000 feet. When trying to land the X-15, he also flew past the land strip and had to turn around and fly back.

The other errors (and there are about 10-12 of them) are listed in the IMDB page: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1213641/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back