Is Geelong's home ground advantage a double edged sword?

Remove this Banner Ad

Those quotes don't prove anything. The reason the dogs want to go there is due to the horrible Marvel stadium deal. MCG is a different story and the "commercial" reasons could easily be their Geelong members constantly complaining about having to travel to the G for 3 games a year. Commercially they need to be seen to be asking for 11 games a year in Geelong but really they make more from a home game blockbuster so are fist pumping behind closed doors.
And your imagination does?

I would like to see Geelong open up more seats to visiting teams at Kardinia. If they did, I am sure they could sweep up the unsold seats for GFC fans. But most likely the games would sell out... and Geelong fans would miss out and be locked out.

It is this that annoys me most about Geelong home games.... realistically they need to play more MCG games to cater for all their members and be fair to the fans of the away team.
Sorry, you haven't really explained your argument - why does Geelong have to worry about fans other than their own?

You won't win any finals with your current fixture.Geelong fast becoming a retirement home for ageing players and AFL rejects.
Didn't we win three premierships while still playing home games at Kardinia Park? How many have the Tiges won recently with their massive advantage?

65f8719716ac18b4f027ce18c1d44c5c

Because we like the public to watch games live, not just a few people who used to work at the ford factory which is the current set up at Scam Park(Kardinia Park).
Huh, you sacrificed your chances of winning premierships for the people? That's a pretty silly argument even before we get to the fact that we know that is not true. Your coach at the time wanted to play on a bigger ground and win more games, because the fact of the matter is Tiges hadn't been winning very many down at home back then.

I've seen Geelong cop some terrible hidings down at the cattery, if the opposition is good enough they will win, it's that bloody simple. Essendon and Hawthorn won down there in the 80's, but s**t themselves at the thought of going back these days. (Wimps) I'm sorry they didn't look at the dimensions of the ground when the development plans were raised, but maybe they couldn't do it because of the position of the ground being so close to the Moorabool street side? It will hinder them in future years with the playing diemsions, but players love playing there, the ground is always full and the atmosphere is incredible. When completed it will be a great place to play in front of 35- 40K at least 11 times a year, of course players will want to go there! The facilities for the team are second to none!
On the Moorabool Street side they built a narrow grand stand. But on the Western side they had all the room they wanted. It was a choice to go long and narrow, it definitely wasn’t forced. I live and work nearby and have worked with one of the cats 3 time premiership heroes and he couldn’t believe that they would make the new stadium so narrow. But the narrowness and length creates closeness and atmosphere for those lucky enough to have seats on the side and a long difficult view for those at the ends. It’s interesting that the Eagles have done better this year playing on a wider home ground.

Huh, you sacrificed your chances of winning premierships for the people? That's a pretty silly argument even before we get to the fact that we know that is not true. Your coach at the time wanted to play on a bigger ground and win more games, because the fact of the matter is Tiges hadn't been winning very many down at home back then.
The fact is, that if Geelong played home games at docklands and the G like everyone else, they wouldn't have made the finals the past few years.Then you would change your list management to rebuild your club instead of topping up with rejects and big money players.

And your imagination does?
More like Mathematics. 75,000 > 30,000. I thought that gates sales all go to the home team and I assume there are a lot of those for a Geelong home game at the G with usually a big game and good time slot. Sure, Geelong make 1 million a game "profit" from a home game but AFL teams turnovers of 50m a year plus and have huge wages and running costs that wouldn't be taken into account. I still recon you make more from the G games but maybe you are comfortable to only play at home and get bigger hand outs like other Melbourne clubs.

If you have a home ground , at least make the dimensions semi- normal.It's like playing on an airport runway and you need local knowledge to know which way the wind will blow when you kick.It's one one the biggest scams in the AFL that Geelong get handed 9 wins there every year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you have a home ground , at least make the dimensions semi- normal.It's like playing on an airport runway and you need local knowledge to know which way the wind will blow when you kick.It's one one the biggest scams in the AFL that Geelong get handed 9 wins there every year!
I know, Geelong playing in Geelong is the biggest farce facing the AFL at the moment. Where's the fairness in that? Geelong shouldn't be allowed to play football in Geelong, it's ludicrous!

More like Mathematics. 75,000 > 30,000. I thought that gates sales all go to the home team and I assume there are a lot of those for a Geelong home game at the G with usually a big game and good time slot. Sure, Geelong make 1 million a game "profit" from a home game but AFL teams turnovers of 50m a year plus and have huge wages and running costs that wouldn't be taken into account. I still recon you make more from the G games but maybe you are comfortable to only play at home and get bigger hand outs like other Melbourne clubs.
That's not maths, that's typing out numbers. What you think you know and what you actually know are two different things, and you would prefer to trust your imagination over statements made by our club.

I'm pretty sure the evidence is there in our eofy reports, but I'm not sure you will be bothered to inform yourself.

The fact is, that if Geelong played home games at docklands and the G like everyone else, they wouldn't have made the finals the past few years.Then you would change your list management to rebuild your club instead of topping up with rejects and big money players.
But everyone else doesn't play at the g and docklands. And you don't know that at all, we haven't had that strong an opposition at home for a while, so the odds are we would have still won those games.

Your club proved this year that were they to play the same number of games at a true away ground, you would have definitely struggled to make finals. Tiges don't travel real good.

Yeah, no other sport has this?

No other team in the AFL has this?

Richmond don't have a knowledge advantage at the G?

You seem to be flailing around a bit with your argument here.

Nah, I'd rather play away games against you there and watch Geelong fans melt, plus it gives you an excuse when you lose.
Pretty happy to back our boys against you next year with the new rule changes. You will have to play a genuine ruck, you won't be able to lock it up at centre bounces, you will have one less pressure forward, and I would think we have your forwards covered in height and skill - so why so bullish. Those changes for your game plan were like the third man rule was for ours. It's gonna hurt you more than just about any other team in the comp.

Pretty happy to back our boys against you next year with the new rule changes. You will have to play a genuine ruck, you won't be able to lock it up at centre bounces, you will have one less pressure forward, and I would think we have your forwards covered in height and skill - so why so bullish. Those changes for your game plan were like the third man rule was for ours. It's gonna hurt you more than just about any other team in the comp.

LOL god youre clutching at straws, keep on dreaming buddy :rainbow:

Geelong is just an average middle of the road team now.

Nah, I'd rather play away games against you there and watch Geelong fans melt, plus it gives you an excuse when you lose.
Very smug, but considering the years your team was a disgrace and you've had to put up with being our easybeats, a little levity is acceptable.
Hanging it on opposition supporters at times of hardship and losses is not my modus operandi.

Yeah, no other sport has this?

No other team in the AFL has this?

Richmond don't have a knowledge advantage at the G?

You seem to be flailing around a bit with your argument here.
Not at all, everyonehas played at the G, Selwood's probably played there 50 times.Obviously the interstate teams don't play there much, but they are compensated by their strong home ground advantage which I don't begrudge, as they have to travel But Geelong get an interstate home ground advantage even though they are 45 minutes from the city.When you play Gold Coast , Freo or Brisbane at Kardinia park, it's an automatic 4 points plus a massive percentage boost, and that's what gets you into finals, undeservedly. Last year you won 8 of 9 games at KP ,5 were against interstate teams and the rest Stkilda, Carlton, North and Melbourne.Melbourne would beat you at any other geound in Australia.It's heavily weighted in Geelong's favour you would have to admit.

Sorry, you haven't really explained your argument - why does Geelong have to worry about fans other than their own?

It is a matter of principle.

If you want to lock out the majority of opposition fans... and not care.... then that is your principle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back