McGovern vs Rance

Rance or McGovern

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is bigfooty, there are nufties who write players off as overrated duds after one bad quarter.
It's horrific. He didnt offer any counter point he just went full troll.

As i said, Rate McGovern better, Reads the play better then anyone i've seen, in a system which suits him 100%. If he was up forward he would walk into about 10 clubs being their best Forward, and every clubs best defender. His versitilityand ability puts him just in another level. I rate Rance. I think hes been the best defender for a while, but McGovern went ahead of him last season. Thats fine, He's 29 and accomplished everything you can as a defender individually and overall has sacrificed his utter strength for his team.

It's horrific. He didnt offer any counter point he just went full troll.

As i said, Rate McGovern better, Reads the play better then anyone i've seen, in a system which suits him 100%. If he was up forward he would walk into about 10 clubs being their best Forward, and every clubs best defender. His versitilityand ability puts him just in another level. I rate Rance. I think hes been the best defender for a while, but McGovern went ahead of him last season. Thats fine, He's 29 and accomplished everything you can as a defender individually and overall has sacrificed his utter strength for his team.
Yeh my issue isn't if someone thinks McGovern is currently better than Rance, that's not outlandish given their age and the fact Rance was at his peak in 2015/16. I would argue that Rance has still had the overall better career and McGovern hasn't reached Rance's peak yet, I mean he was voted by the players as 8th and 7th in the MVP for 2015 and 2016, not many key defenders get that high. His finals series in 2017 was outstanding too so it's not as if he has never performed in finals.

I just take issue when people pick isolated performances and use it to make categorical statements about a player. Like no other Eagle or gun player from any other team has ever had a bad game in a final? Come on..

McGovern is the greatest intercept mark of all time, and his decision making, accurate medium-length kicks and calmness is underrated by that. He's like Guy McKenna without the running part, every kick he makes goes to a man who will then have another man free in the chain

I think it's clear he will be the greatest backman of all time, he will have a similar output over the next 3 years given his age. He basically outmarks the best forwards in the game ffs

Rance is good at spoiling and running over to stop another ball in dispute, taking the odd intercept mark, rushing balls out of bounds etc with his exasperated panting face.

Both Western Australian legends, honestly pains me to say but G Jakovich just has to be booted from the starting 18 in the All Time team or moved to a back pocket if hypothetical 3 key forwards

McGovern is the greatest intercept mark of all time,

He's like Guy McKenna without the running part

I think it's clear he will be the greatest backman of all time
Calm down dude. He wasn't even rated a very top player by the Eagles coaching staff this year, they had 5 players higher in the best and fairest.

Calm down dude. He wasn't even rated a very top player by the Eagles coaching staff this year, they had 5 players higher in the best and fairest.
Probably because he had broken ribs, he still won the game for them however.
To be fair this is nothing compared to what was being said by some Tigers supporters after last year and I'd say thats influencing not only the post but the poll as well.
At the moment McGovern, at their best too hard to split for me.

Probably because he had broken ribs, he still won the game for them however.
To be fair this is nothing compared to what was being said by some Tigers supporters after last year and I'd say thats influencing not only the post but the poll as well.
At the moment McGovern, at their best too hard to split for me.
I'd agree currently McGovern. Rance has a body of work behind him though. McGovern hasn't reached Rance's heights of 15/16. Rance dominated all other KPDs for various awards and accolades in that time. Coaches awards, media awards, player awards, brownlow votes. They have varying credibility but if your consistently beating your peers in most of them you're likely doing better.
McGovern has 3 straight AAs, Rance just had his 5th. Both will retire as great defenders, but Mcgovern's best wont be better than Rance's best until we see otherwise.

You can’t split Kennedy and McGovern as Eagles 1
And who cares about placings after the winner, there’s always the odd roleplayer who plays every game up in the top 5-10

I'd agree currently McGovern. Rance has a body of work behind him though. McGovern hasn't reached Rance's heights of 15/16. Rance dominated all other KPDs for various awards and accolades in that time. Coaches awards, media awards, player awards, brownlow votes. They have varying credibility but if your consistently beating your peers in most of them you're likely doing better.
McGovern has 3 straight AAs, Rance just had his 5th. Both will retire as great defenders, but Mcgovern's best wont be better than Rance's best until we see otherwise.
I think their best is very close, I won't say until both are finished because it is so close.

At the moment I feel that McGoverns best is slightly more dominant however the fact that he has played at his best more recently is something that would affect my choice I'm thinking, it's so close though.

I just really like Govs body strength and sticky hands but Rance held your backline together for ages and did it in an average team, Rance's quick movement allowed him to get to and affect contests most other people his size wouldn't get near (like Gibson but could use the ball really well and had a much more rounded game).

McGovern will need to keep up for another couple of years to get their careers level, but their best could be argued either way at this point and IMO if McGovern improves next year then watch out.

GMAB! McGovern's not fit to massage Rance's calves .One played a good Grand final against Collingwood, the other played a better GF and was All Australian captain and consistantly great for 7 years. Rance changed the way defence is played, whilst McGovern is a good old fashioned footballers footballer who tries hard and is flavour of the month.Rance we will go down as the greatest defender of all time next to Jack Reagan and Bruce Doull .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GMAB! McGovern's not fit to massage Rance's calves .One played a good Grand final against Collingwood, the other played a better GF and was All Australian captain and consistantly great for 7 years. Rance changed the way defence is played, whilst McGovern is a good old fashioned footballers footballer who tries hard and is flavour of the month.Rance we will go down as the greatest defender of all time next to Jack Reagan and Bruce Doull .
McGovern has been a very good player for a few years now, elite the last 3 and was the best performed KPD last season in a lot of peoples opinions.
Career wise McGovern has a bit to do however at their best it is very close and there's still a bit to play out, time is on Jeremys side to catch up IMO.

Rance the best defender of all time? Hahahaha

Our B+Fs are strongly based on who plays the most games each year. I mean Scott Selwood has won our B+F and Yeo just won his second in a row - I don't think he was our most important player this year, but he played almost every game and played back and forward when required so won votes.

Please don't sully the good name of Socrates.

Rance the best defender of all time? Hahahaha

Our B+Fs are strongly based on who plays the most games each year. I mean Scott Selwood has won our B+F and Yeo just won his second in a row - I don't think he was our most important player this year, but he played almost every game and played back and forward when required so won votes.
Who was the last full back to revolutionize the position? Maybe Scarlett then Jack Reagan but Rance stands above them all.He's worth 2 players as he plays off his man but always gets back in time to spoil.If DeGoey had of contested that mark in last quarter of the GF, we probably wouldn't be talking about this.McGovern second best of current players but he's no Rance yet.

we will put Gov in Grimes category. Rance is in a different league as the best defender who ever played
By we you mean people such as yourself with IQ's below 80, right?

Who was the last full back to revolutionize the position? Maybe Scarlett then Jack Reagan but Rance stands above them all.He's worth 2 players as he plays off his man but always gets back in time to spoil.If DeGoey had of contested that mark in last quarter of the GF, we probably wouldn't be talking about this.McGovern second best of current players but he's no Rance yet.
Revolutionise?

Richmond fans now wanna say Fletcher played on the best forward his whole career do they? Because all we heard for the last 10 years of his career was "he never takes the best player, zoning off and coming in as 3rd man all the time doesn't make him a good defender."

Sound familiar?

Revolutionise?

Richmond fans now wanna say Fletcher played on the best forward his whole career do they? Because all we heard for the last 10 years of his career was "he never takes the best player, zoning off and coming in as 3rd man all the time doesn't make him a good defender."

Sound familiar?
Rance nothing like Fletcher, you don't know much about football mate, are you new to the sport?

Rance nothing like Fletcher, you don't know much about football mate, are you new to the sport?
Not taking the number one forward because he zones off to control the backline?

Is that not what Rance does? It's what Fletcher did for close to a decade after spending the previous decade taking Lockett, Modra, Dunstall etc

Rance
Not taking the number one forward because he zones off to control the backline?

Is that not what Rance does? It's what Fletcher did for close to a decade after spending the previous decade taking Lockett, Modra, Dunstall etc
Rance doesn't play as a spare man, he plays off his man and uses his anticipation and closing speed to mark that player,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back