Best home and away wins in your clubs history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
What would be the 5 most memorable and significant home and away season wins be? Also for a personal preference, 5 that you really enjoyed and savour? Excluded finals because it's too easy.

Round 1 vs Sydney 2007 - Club came under heavy fire after the off field antics from the 2006 flag. Went into the game against the Swans without Cousins and Cox and came away with an against the odds win
Vs Port Adelaide this year after the siren - Again club under heavy scrutiny about it's culture after the Gaff incident
Vs Adelaide at Subi in 2006 - The Crowbots came to Subi as the form team of the competition and we were under manned, Worsfold tweaked the game plan that day and the end result was a 70 odd point win against the then best team in the comp.

Last edited:

As I don’t remember a good Essendon side, during the height of the saga we had a lot of comeback wins. However Round 1 2017 stands out as an emotional win and a feel good moment for the club. Of course we didn’t know how awful hawthorn would be in the first half of that year, but still special.

Round 10 1976. Princess Park.
Carlton 11.10.76 v North 11.15.81
Enter Malcolm Blight with 3 goals in 'time on' of the last quarter (including 'THAT' Torp after the siren).

Round 1 1971. Arden Street
North 18.16. 124 V Carlton 14.14.98
Slammin 'Sam had the old Grandstand shaking. North (Wooden Spooners in 1970) defeat Carlton (Premiers in 1970)

1985 Elimination Final
North V Carlton
Schimma runs himself to near death, to bring the Kangas home, after being written off at half time.

1984? North V Carlton at Princess Park
North come from nowhere to steal the game under John Kennedy. The Krackouer Boys and Glendinning combining in time on
David Dwyer pots a Torp to seal it.

Round 1 vs Sydney 2007 - Club came under heavy fire after the off field antics from the 2006 flag. Went into the game against the Swans without Cousins and Cox and came away with an against the odds win
Vs Port Adelaide this year after the siren - Again club under heavy scrutiny about it's culture after the Gaff incident
Vs Adelaide at Subi in 2006 - The Crowbots came to Subi as the form team of the competition and we were under manned, Worsfold tweaked the game plan that day and the end result was a 70 odd point win against the then best team in the comp.
Very good wins indeed. The first you mentioned stuck it right up Robert Walls. '' Com'on Sydney, give the Eagles a good old fashioned flogging '' he wrote at the end of an article pre-game. Why does he hate you guys so much?

I see you also edited your post just as I'm quoting hehe. Good win vs the Crows, 82 points. Wish I unloaded that day on you guys. You were close to even money, had I not worked that Saturday, would have unleashed a hefty amount.

For us it has to be the win against the Hawks at Spotless in 2016 in my mind. That was when a side that had never played finals made the competition sit up and take notice.

:cool:I was there and it was a great day.

Some would argue the first derby win against the Swans in 2014, I wasn't there and cant speak for the vibe.

For us it has to be the win against the Hawks at Spotless in 2016 in my mind. That was when a side that had never played finals made the competition sit up and take notice.

:cool:I was there and it was a great day.

Some would argue the first derby win against the Swans in 2014, I wasn't there and cant speak for the vibe.

You almost beat us in 2014, and kinda have it over us atm, even if the ledger is not lopsided.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You almost beat us in 2014, and kinda have it over us atm, even if the ledger is not lopsided.
It was because the Hawks had won the last three flags that it meant so much. Hodge getting injured early didn't help your cause.

In 2015, the draw in Launceston and Spotless this year were hard fought games. There's some randomness in short term data. My fear is Clarkson will be miffed and determined next year.

:DPrior to the 2016 game the coaches did a very cordial joint press conference, which is unusual. I doubt that happens ever again.

1999 Round 12
Hawthorn : 1.1 4.4 14.4 17.7 109
Saints : 9.4 11.6 14.7 14.12 96

2001 Round 17
Hawthorn : 4.2 7.2 9.4 15.6 96
Carlton : 4.2 8.6 11.12 13.15 93

2005 Round 4
Hawthorn 4.2 10.4 14.5 18.7 115
Brisbane 4.0 5.3 6.7 10.9 69

2012 Round 23
Sydney 4.3 8.5 10.7 14.11 95
Hawthorn 0.1 7.6 10.11 15.12 102

2014 Round 7
Hawthorn 6.2 11.7 21.9 27.13 175
Saints 2.3 2.3 3.4 4.6 30

2005 Round 4 : Though not an exciting or high skilled game with very little highs, it was the 4th game into Clarkson coaching career and beating Brisbane who were the pinnacle of the competition gave me so much hope leading forward as a kid, I could see the light at the end of the tunnel for the first time.

2012 Round 23: Tied up top spot beating our closes competition for the premiership on their home turf right on the eve of finals.

2014 Round 7: This is when i knew we would go back2back pissin down rain and Hawthorn made it look like 22C and no cloud in the sky, the foot skills in those condition were out of this world, Saints can thank the rain this didn't end up a 30 goal defeat. It's hard to gauge when you play lower sides but I don't think we played better as a side than that.

Merger game with Melbourne.?

Merger games is definitely Top 5.

Me and two friends ran onto the ground to celebrate Dunstall's 100th goal......and Langford said to my friend: "Okay, you had your fun but time to get off the ground now". He was so serious, it was funny. There were 10,000 people on the field.

I would also nominate round 18, 1988, Hawks v Essendon. The day Dermie ran through the Essendon huddle.

What would be the 5 most memorable and significant home and away season wins be? Also for a personal preference, 5 that you really enjoyed and savour? Excluded finals because it's too easy.

For the Hawks the best home and away win I've seen is 1999 vs St Kilda, after trailing by 63 points mid 2nd quarter we turn the game on its head and win by 13 points, 2nd biggest comeback in the history of VFL/AFL.

Close 2nd would be when we overturned a 9 goal deficit against the Cats at Princes Park after Gary Ayers went into the centre.

Merger match vs Melbourne in 1996 was also very eventful and meaningful. Had a lot riding on it that game.

Some of my faves

Round 1 2009

Beat the Hawks in a GF rematch Friday night at the G. Didn't erase the defeat from the previous game, but gave me some good satisfaction. As did the return game missing a host of stars and coming back from 4 goals down at 3qtr time.

Beating WCE in Perth in the final home and away game of the year in 1993. We dented their top 4 hopes I believe. In any case, we turned a 3qtr time deficit into a 20 point win. Ablett and Stoneham snagging 5 and 4 respectively. They got us by 8 points earlier in the year at Kardinia Park coming from 38 down in the GF rematch. ******* West Coast.

1996 GF rematch on a Friday night at the G. We got the Blues by 2 goals with Mansfield kicking 4 in a surprise display.

Loved the 2010 Easter Monday game vs the Hawkers as well. They jumped us as usual, but we pegged them back and got a good win. They really botched that one. Loved the 2013 later game too where we led by 33 in the last, trailed by 9 after they came back, and we pipped them again.

2012 Hawkins after the siren goes alright too. As did the games against the Blues where they also threw some away in 2014, and I think 2011 or 12 as well.

For the Hawks the best home and away win I've seen is 1999 vs St Kilda, after trailing by 63 points mid 2nd quarter we turn the game on its head and win by 13 points, 2nd biggest comeback in the history of VFL/AFL.

Close 2nd would be when we overturned a 9 goal deficit against the Cats at Princes Park after Gary Ayers went into the centre.

Merger match vs Melbourne in 1996 was also very eventful and meaningful. Had a lot riding on it that game.
Good games indeed. The 1st and 3rd you mentioned have been on Fox Footy lately. That 2nd game, boy oh boy. The stuff nightmares are made of.

Sorry, I don't have time to google actual rounds and years. These ones come to mind.

Round 22, 1987 v Dogs. Been plenty written about this round.
Round 22, 1976ish. Beat the Pies at Vic park and they win their first spoon. Alas, we miss finals because Carlton tanked against Footscray and drew.
Round something, 2010ish. We come from a mile behind to beat Freo when we were still a rabble.
Round something 1984. beat Hawthorn for the first time in memory at Princes Park.
Round something 2016. Tom McDonald kicks a goal at the death to sink the Eagles.

Round 1, 2002.

First game after the Carey/Stevens stuff, we get up against Port in Adelaide. Watching Stevo being chaired off was magic.

Merger games is definitely Top 5.

Me and two friends ran onto the ground to celebrate Dunstall's 100th goal......and Langford said to my friend: "Okay, you had your fun but time to get off the ground now". He was so serious, it was funny. There were 10,000 people on the field.

I would also nominate round 18, 1988, Hawks v Essendon. The day Dermie ran through the Essendon huddle.
I remember that one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back