Best home and away wins in your clubs history?

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 8 2002 was pretty good. The Lions were ridiculously good and were smashing everyone.

We got up by a few goals. Rocca and Tarrant both played well, from memory. But then they stormed back and I thought we were stuffed, but we somehow held them off. Headland had a chance to set a teammate up for a shot at goal with 5 seconds left and dropped his bundle, trying to kick the leather off it and instead kicking it straight to one of several pies in the defensive 50.

Those games nearly kill you to watch but leave you buzzing for days afterwards.

Merger games is definitely Top 5.

Me and two friends ran onto the ground to celebrate Dunstall's 100th goal......and Langford said to my friend: "Okay, you had your fun but time to get off the ground now". He was so serious, it was funny. There were 10,000 people on the field.

I would also nominate round 18, 1988, Hawks v Essendon. The day Dermie ran through the Essendon huddle.

The game where we were being belted by St.Kilda in 1999? Then over took their 10 goal lead is another good game as well.

Despite not being a win, as a matter fact it was flogging, the “Line in the Sand” game was rather significant as well. That belting was the start of self-belief.

The game where we were being belted by St.Kilda in 1999? Then over took their 10 goal lead is another good game as well.

I was at that game. The fact we were so far behind at half time wasn't even that surprising given our team, but then the comeback! Also Waverley Park was the best place to watch footy, just behind Princess Park.

One day i turned up to Waverely to watch Melb v Hawthorn. I was about 20 mintues late. The very first moment of play I saw was Jeff Farmer taking the ball from half back and then down the wing with kick and handball and then he barreled a goal from outside 50m. It won goal of the year. I stayed another 10 minutes in the rain and left. We go thumped.

A super underrated one, but one that has stayed in my memory bank because I was there to see it live.
In 2011, after a couple of years of underachieving following the 08 flag, we met St.Kilda at the MCG on a Sunday afternoon.
In the first quarter, Stephen Gilham did his ACL and David Hale was also stretchered off with a knee injury. Both done for the day. We found ourselves 5 goals down at quarter time after being held goal less.
Somehow we absolutely dominated the last 3 quarters and won by 30 points in what was also Luke Bruests debut game.
We just missed a grand final that season, won the minor premiership the year after, then went on the 3-peat.
St.Kilda were bundled out in an elimination final that season, subsequently lost their coach and haven't seen September action since.
Was a massive turning point in both clubs fortunes from that day on.

A super underrated one, but one that has stayed in my memory bank because I was there to see it live.
In 2011, after a couple of years of underachieving following the 08 flag, we met St.Kilda at the MCG on a Sunday afternoon.
In the first quarter, Stephen Gilham did his ACL and David Hale was also stretchered off with a knee injury. Both done for the day. We found ourselves 5 goals down at quarter time after being held goal less.
Somehow we absolutely dominated the last 3 quarters and won by 30 points in what was also Luke Bruests debut game.
We just missed a grand final that season, won the minor premiership the year after, then went on the 3-peat.
St.Kilda were bundled out in an elimination final that season, subsequently lost their coach and haven't seen September action since.
Was a massive turning point in both clubs fortunes from that day on.

I was at that game too. The injuries just ruined it for me.

My favourites are all pretty recent

2014 R23 vs Sydney - we recovered from our 3-10 start to the year, winning 8 straight games and put ourselves in the 8 going into R23 vs top of the ladder Sydney at ANZ. We kicked the first 5 goals, and slowly allowed the swans back in, from memory they hit the front in the 3rd quarter, but we responded, got back in front, Rance must've taken 5 clutch intercept marks and sent all of his kicks out on the full, we hung on and won by 3 points. I distinctly remember listening on the radio, being stuck to the couch for the first 3 quarters, then pacing around the kitchen for the last quarter with nerves.

2015 R18 vs Hawthorn - Hawthorn were simply dominating the competition, having won their last 8 games, and in just the last 3 prior to this game, they'd belted top of the table Freo (72pts), fellow top 4 side Sydney (89pts) and bottom dweller Carlton (138pts). It was when the 'unsociable hawks' was a thing and we became the 'unsociable tigers' for a night and beat them by 3 goals. It seemed like a big statement and we were ready to really compete - that was a few years ago.

2015 R10 vs Freo - they were undefeated after 9 games and were completely suffocating sides, averaging 62pts against. We came out and kicked 8 goals by the 20min mark of the first quarter. Kinda let them back in after that and after a maximum lead of 49pts, we only won by 27pts, but I will probably forever remember that 8 goal burst.

2016 R8 vs Sydney - we were 1-6, things were looking pretty bloody s**t, about to face perennial contenders Sydney. Though we were sort of competitive the week before and, to brag, I started a thread saying that we'd win, our outlook for the game was ultimately pretty bleak. It was a see-sawing game and Sam Lloyd ended up slotting one after the siren to give us a 101-100 win.

2016 R20 vs Collingwood - pressure was building on the entire club after an embarrassing 3 goal effort the week before vs GWS and kicking just 5 goals the week prior. We then conceded the first 4 goals and I'm pretty sure Dimma was close to getting sacked there and then. But, we fought our way back in, and won by 15. It was a real backs against the wall effort

My favourites are all pretty recent

2014 R23 vs Sydney - we recovered from our 3-10 start to the year, winning 8 straight games and put ourselves in the 8 going into R23 vs top of the ladder Sydney at ANZ. We kicked the first 5 goals, and slowly allowed the swans back in, from memory they hit the front in the 3rd quarter, but we responded, got back in front, Rance must've taken 5 clutch intercept marks and sent all of his kicks out on the full, we hung on and won by 3 points. I distinctly remember listening on the radio, being stuck to the couch for the first 3 quarters, then pacing around the kitchen for the last quarter with nerves.

2015 R18 vs Hawthorn - Hawthorn were simply dominating the competition, having won their last 8 games, and in just the last 3 prior to this game, they'd belted top of the table Freo (72pts), fellow top 4 side Sydney (89pts) and bottom dweller Carlton (138pts). It was when the 'unsociable hawks' was a thing and we became the 'unsociable tigers' for a night and beat them by 3 goals. It seemed like a big statement and we were ready to really compete - that was a few years ago.

2015 R10 vs Freo - they were undefeated after 9 games and were completely suffocating sides, averaging 62pts against. We came out and kicked 8 goals by the 20min mark of the first quarter. Kinda let them back in after that and after a maximum lead of 49pts, we only won by 27pts, but I will probably forever remember that 8 goal burst.

2016 R8 vs Sydney - we were 1-6, things were looking pretty bloody s**t, about to face perennial contenders Sydney. Though we were sort of competitive the week before and, to brag, I started a thread saying that we'd win, our outlook for the game was ultimately pretty bleak. It was a see-sawing game and Sam Lloyd ended up slotting one after the siren to give us a 101-100 win.

2016 R20 vs Collingwood - pressure was building on the entire club after an embarrassing 3 goal effort the week before vs GWS and kicking just 5 goals the week prior. We then conceded the first 4 goals and I'm pretty sure Dimma was close to getting sacked there and then. But, we fought our way back in, and won by 15. It was a real backs against the wall effort
2013 vs Hawks was a goody
2006 vs the Crows after you got hammered by Sydney the week before
North on the Tuesday { could have been Thursday night } in 95 where you kicked 9 in the first and 4 from Daffy

Round 6, 1989, Geelong vs Hawthorn.

Hawthorn 5.3.33 9.5.59 16.9.105 26.15.171
Geelong 8.4.52 17.6.108 19.10.124 25.13.163

Holy s**t. 17 goal to 9 first half, 17 goal to 8 second half comeback. Foxtel please show this game.

Wouldn't be too many incidences of a team putting 100 on the board by half time then not winning.

2013 vs Hawks was a goody
2006 vs the Crows after you got hammered by Sydney the week before
North on the Tuesday { could have been Thursday night } in 95 where you kicked 9 in the first and 4 from Daffy
2012 vs Hawks another good one when we beat them by about 10 goals and Jack kicked a bag. Since Dimma took over we've had plenty of good wins over Hawthorn and Sydney, despite them being better than us for the most part.
Completely forgot the Crows one and unfortunately I wasn't around for the North one. Though I think I saw a video about 'best start in an AFL game ever' which might be it, I'll have to have a look around on Youtube and have a watch.

2012 vs Hawks another good one when we beat them by about 10 goals and Jack kicked a bag. Since Dimma took over we've had plenty of good wins over Hawthorn and Sydney, despite them being better than us for the most part.
Completely forgot the Crows one and unfortunately I wasn't around for the North one. Though I think I saw a video about 'best start in an AFL game ever' which might be it, I'll have to have a look around on Youtube and have a watch.
Yeah I was going to mention the 2012 one. That was a goody. You guys have fared exceptionally well vs the teams you mentioned.

Check the 95 game out. That was a beauty.

Also coming back from 40 down in the last game of the year at Princess Park/Optus Oval against Carlton which knocked them out of the finals. They would have made it if they won. Rogers played well, I think Bowden too.

s**t just remembered a 9 goal first term against WCE too in 1997 lol. 9 goals to 1, I think the eagles kicked 1 for the entire first half. That was a Monday night.

edited - was an 8 goal second quarter to their none and you led 12 goals to 1 at half time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rd 21 this year against Port - after the siren special. Again.
Rd 21 2016, Naitanui rove and snap on the siren to beat GWS.
Rd 1 2007 vs Sydney. Written off after Cousins is AWOL during pre season, won by a point.
Rd 17 2006, annihilated the Crowbots
Rd 10&11 2006, comeback kings. Broke Cats and Blue hearts.
Rd 12 2003, second year Judd 5 goals in a half at the Gabba.
Rd 5 2002, rubbish team from 2001 belting the premier Lions by 8 goals. Judd, Cousins, Kerr in their first few games together.
Rd 10, 1998 vs WB @ WACA. 8 goals down at QT, 8 goals each at HT. Won by two goals.

Not a classic but in terms of importance I liked Rd 17 this year. WC no good a the MCG, down early, Naitanui off with an ACL before half time... had WC MCG capitulation all over it and we came out and beat the Pies by 6 goals. Somehow this year we always found a way against the Pies.

2006 comeback against Geelong at Kardinia Park - missing Judd and 9 goals down halfway through the third quarter, demonstrated we were the real deal that year. Still the last time we have beaten Geelong in Geelong.

The after the siren (version 2) against Port this year. No explanation needed but only the second occasion in AFL history that a side was never in front from siren to siren but snatched the 4 points anyway.

Holy s**t. 17 goal to 9 first half, 17 goal to 8 second half comeback. Foxtel please show this game.

Wouldn't be too many incidences of a team putting 100 on the board by half time then not winning.

It is on youtube atm.

I’m not super great at remembering H&A games but think these warrant a mention anyway:

1995, Round 4 (ANZAC Day)
Collingwood 17.9.111 drew with Essendon 16.15.111

Ok, so it wasn’t a win, but this is probably one of the most memorable H&A games of all time and set-up the Essendon vs Collingwood ANZAC Day fixture for years to come.

2002, Round 5 (ANZAC Day)
Collingwood 9.12.66 def Essendon 4.9.33

A wet, dour, slog of a game. Essendon came into the game 3-1 and probably favourites while Collingwood were going ok at 2-2. Not the best ANZAC Day game but knocking off an Essendon side that had given us (and most teams) trouble in recent years was the first indication for me that Collingwood might have a decent team this year.

2002, Round 8
Collingwood 17.12.114 def Brisbane 16.15.111

As mentioned, ANZAC Day was the first indication that this Collingwood team might be a good one, this is the game that confirmed it. Collingwood’s record had improved to 5-2 coming into this game while the all-conquering reigning-premier Brisbane side were 6-1. This game has already been mentioned above but it had everything, I can’t think of a better Collingwood H&A win since 2000. Still remember the commentary - “they now share the top of the ladder with the Brisbane Lions.... tonight’s the night the new Magpies have come of age”.

Round 16, 2010
Collingwood 15.10.100 def St.Kilda 6.16.52

Round 19, 2010
Geelong 12.13.85 def by Collingwood 14.23.107

Individually these games aren’t necessarily memorable but these were the two games that set up Collingwood’s 2010 premiership. Geelong and St.Kilda had played off in the 2009 Grand Final and were clearly ahead of the pack. Geelong had knocked Collingwood out in the 2007 and 2009 Preliminary Finals while St.Kilda hasn’t knocked Collingwood out in the 2008 Semi Final. Geelong and St.Kilda had enjoyed comfortable wins over Collingwood early in the 2010 season. Collingwood was putting together a good season throughout 2010 but Round 16 and Round 19 were the games that not only put Collingwood on level-pegging with Geelong and St.Kilda but I’d argue a level above. If I remember correctly, Nick Maxwell in a 2010 documentary (might have been “The Final Draw”) mentioned that 2010 was really the first time that group had truly felt like they could win the flag (despite some recent Preliminary Finals appearances). I can’t remember if he gave a timeframe but it’s possible that these two games drove a lot of that belief. Maybe not the most memorable games but certainly significant.

I really enjoyed round 5 2016 win over Adelaide.
Was that the one that sam Jacobs was honourable giving the ball back instantly after a free kick, allowing you to get it forward and score before the defence was set when he could’ve held I think up, probably allowing us to get the stop?
Think you scored 3 goals in the final 5 minutes?
Think crow fans bitched about umpiring? Puopolo free????

Only game I can definitevly say umps cost us was that amazing game Paul Chapman had to beat us at kardinia a few years before that.
To this day I think the Brownlow should’ve been 3. P.Chapman, 2. M.Nicholls. He reamed us that day,

Take one of those 2 out, crows win.

Wow, my memory has thrown me off.
I thought we were decimated by injuries that day.
Nup, just Andrew McLeod out

Rd 22 (58pt win vs Melbourne) and qf (30pt win vs freo) would’ve been the 2 where we were weakest.

No ricciuto, hart, hentschel, McGregor, mcleod* or burton*.

6 of our best 22 out.

*back for preliminary final.

Rd 21 this year against Port - after the siren special. Again.
Rd 21 2016, Naitanui rove and snap on the siren to beat GWS.
Rd 1 2007 vs Sydney. Written off after Cousins is AWOL during pre season, won by a point.
Rd 10&11 2006, comeback kings. Broke Cats and Blue hearts.
Rd 12 2003, second year Judd 5 goals in a half at the Gabba.
Rd 5 2002, rubbish team from 2001 belting the premier Lions by 8 goals. Judd, Cousins, Kerr in their first few games together.
Rd 10, 1998 vs WB @ WACA. 8 goals down at QT, 8 goals each at HT. Won by two goals.

Not a classic but in terms of importance I liked Rd 17 this year. WC no good a the MCG, down early, Naitanui off with an ACL before half time... had WC MCG capitulation all over it and we came out and beat the Pies by 6 goals. Somehow this year we always found a way against the Pies.

very good picks there, would add 2003 vs pies @ docklands and 2002 vs blues at princes park to our list

Round 18 -2009
Melbourne 12.10 (82) def. by Richmond 12.14 (86)

With recognised players being dropped for unknowns, 200cm ruckmen playing full back on 180cm forwards, top midfielders tagging the likes of small forward Robbie Nahas, other midfielders being benched for extended periods - the tigers were up against some revolutionary tactics by Dean Bailey's Demons.
How could they conquer these progressive moves?

Well, they fought hard by confusing them with mistimed handballs, kicks to the opposition, dropped chest marks.
To the casual observer, this was a ghastly exhibition of Australian rules football.
But the tigers fought tooth and nail and managed to find themselves with a mark on the siren to none other than Jordy McMahon.
Jordy went back and casually slotted it from the 50m line before the tigers went into wild, rapturous celebrations.

The crowd, consciously aware of this modern day classic, took part in bipartisan applause for the result.

Last edited:
The merger game.

From Wiki
The end of the 1996 season saw Melbourne and Hawthorn play each other in the last round of that season. The "merger game", as it was called, was a spirited contest as it was a likely possibility that it would be the last Hawthorn vs Melbourne contest and, as the result that Melbourne could not make the finals and Hawthorn needed to win the game by any margin to have any chance to contest the 1996 finals series, many supporters saw this game as a last chance to see their team play football.

A crowd of 63,196 attended the Melbourne Cricket Ground to see Jason Dunstall kick 10 goals and the Hawks win by one point. In a now-famous moment of defiance to both the league and his team's board, Chris Langford(Hawthorn's full back) took off his Hawthorn jumper and proudly held it above his head while leaving the field. Prior to the game, an "anti-merger" rally, led by Scott, was held at Hawthorn's then training ground, Glenferrie Oval.

Later in the round, Richmond lost to the North Melbourne by a large margin. This loss ensured that Hawthorn were playing in the finals. The finals' system at the time meant that Hawthorn, which finished in eighth position, had to play the team which finished first, Sydney Swans, in Sydney. Hawthorn would lose by 6 points and be knocked out in the first week of the 1996 finals, a week after the merger votes.

Hawthorn 3.5 10.6 12.10 15.12 (102)
Melbourne 5.4 7.6 12.8 15.11 (101)

The spirit we showed in that game was a key rally point to remind our supporters what we were, and what we had to lose. On the monday after the vote, the now famous AGM was held at the hawthorn town hall, and the members voted against the proposed merger. The board resigned, and others stepped up, who would eventually lead our club back to a position of power.

If we had of capitulated, lost to Melbourne, and missed the finals, there is a chance that the vote may have swung a lot closer.

And given what we have achieved since 96, with 4 flags, and becoming a power club, this was a pivotal game in the History of both Hawthorn, Melbourne and the league as a whole. As an added bonus, Richmond were sent to 9th again ;-)

As a footnote, It is sad to think what happened to the Roys that year, as their own merger debate was run and lost mid year. They won only a single game all year, and lost by 80+ points away in Freo.

In regards to the bolded, there was a game between North Melbourne and Sydney in 1991 when Sydney had kicked 19.6 to half time, but only kicked 2.2 to 14.14 in the 2nd half and lost by 9 goals, 21.8.134 to 27.26.188.

Imagine the scoreline if North kicked straight!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back