Family & Relationships No christmas

Remove this Banner Ad

Every year seems to eclipse the last as the worst Christmas ever. In a lot of ways I was content with what became the norm (morning = family time, rest of the day ?? spend with friends or neighbours).

I usually use the day to reflect on my year, I have had such an up and down year in everything (personal life and work life) that I just don't know what direction I will go to next.

I don't think I will have as much alone time on the day as I normally would. Surrounding myself with people is probably better for my mindset.

My Christmas day just never ******* ends because certain members get far, far too carried away with being the glue that holds the family together and makes a big effort to have the entire family together and no one else, and you cannot leave.

I'll probably do what I've done for years. Work on Christmas Eve through to about 10PM, do a little thing with the Old Man on Christmas Morning (I do buy presents for the siblings, wrapping them at work actually is therapeutic in a strange way) then head to the airport about 9AM to fly down for the Boxing Day Test. I've joked with work colleagues that whilst they're stuffing their faces full of ham and beer, I'll be seeking out whatever is on the 7-Eleven shelves at Spencer Street. Actually glad to work Christmas Eve in many ways, dress casually, get a reasonably decent feed of cold chook and salad and keep busy for a while. There was one year where I was traveling on Christmas Eve stopping over in Brisbane, which didn't quite feel right. This year I've actually got an RDO on Christmas Day....

Was different when the grandparents were still physically/spiritually alive (my Grandfather on the the father's side basically is a shell of his former self since Grandma died almost 4 years ago), when I flew down on Christmas Eve and spent time with extended family members who probably would struggle to recognise me year upon year. I did provide a nice surprise a few years ago though, visiting my Aunt/Uncle when all I could promise them is that I'd try to make it out from the City to Ringwood (they now live in South Africa, although they're in Melbourne for Christmas. Outside chance of seeing a couple of them for Day 2 at the G). There were years where there would be about 20-25 people around for a feed and a drink or two with kids everywhere (I'd come down from Qld, others occasionally would commute from Mt Gambier), and I'd often fear having to play Santa, but they're all doing their own thing now if they are indeed still with us.

I always rolled my eyes at the fact that a religious celebration was co-opted for little more than galling displays of consumerism. Pretty good example of western """culture"""

That said, I was always a bit envious of the kids that got to celebrate Christmas. Mainly for the presents. There was no large scale gift giving for Eid al-Fitr, at least not in our family.

I do like this time of the year though. The decorations, the carols, everyone being a bit more festive. Was considering putting up a tree this year (pretty common thing to do even in the Muslim world) but just couldn't be arsed.

I always rolled my eyes at the fact that a religious celebration was co-opted for little more than galling displays of consumerism. Pretty good example of western """culture"""

That said, I was always a bit envious of the kids that got to celebrate Christmas. Mainly for the presents. There was no large scale gift giving for Eid al-Fitr, at least not in our family.

I do like this time of the year though. The decorations, the carols, everyone being a bit more festive. Was considering putting up a tree this year (pretty common thing to do even in the Muslim world) but just couldn't be arsed.
Gifts were once cherished. When I was little we were fairly broke and living week to week. Gifts that I received, I cherished and looked after. Now it's an expectation. It's pathetic and sad watching what our society is becoming. I could happily do the whole christmas thing without gifts.

Gifts were once cherished. When I was little we were fairly broke and living week to week. Gifts that I received, I cherished and looked after. Now it's an expectation. It's pathetic and sad watching what our society is becoming. I could happily do the whole christmas thing without gifts.

best ever xmas presents i got-

- barbie doll and a puzzle
- table tennis table
- computer
(last 2 were big gifts between me and my two brothers)

Kids dont need a tonne of s**t, especially if they're getting gifts from aunties/uncles, grandparents etc. IIRC my parents spent around $100 on each of us when we were teenagers.

The best christmas present I ever got was a box of chocolates from my next door neighbours when I was 6 or 7. It was the first time anyone outside my family had got me a Xmas present so it meant a lot. But more than that they taught me a valuable lesson I hold until today, which is it's all about the context i.e. who's there for you, that they were paying attention to what you said you wanted 3 months ago, the moments and experience itself, rather than the content of the gifts.

I'll most likely be that uncle that doesn't buy gifts for his nieces/nephews for Xmas. I'll happily take them out somewhere nice or where they want to go, but I'll draw the line at buying them physical gifts that they probably won't need, use or look at after a couple months. If they really need it, I'll get them it on one of the other 364 days of the year.

best ever xmas presents i got-

- barbie doll and a puzzle
- table tennis table
- computer
(last 2 were big gifts between me and my two brothers)

Kids dont need a tonne of s**t, especially if they're getting gifts from aunties/uncles, grandparents etc. IIRC my parents spent around $100 on each of us when we were teenagers.

My parents have always spent around $100-$150 on each of us - and still do to this day. As an adult, it's a budget I set to spend on my parents too. I find it's a good balance between getting each other something to cherish without going overboard.

My budget for my nephews is considerably smaller - they get spoiled by everyone else so I'm happy for my smaller gift to slip under the radar.

Watching a stream of Hillsong's Christmas service, and part of the service is staff roaming around getting the kids to show off their presents.

One kid showed off a smart watch, while another showed off a Fitbit.

The smart watch had me thinking someone's gone overboard on their kid, while all I could think of with the kid with the Fitbit is WTF. Why the * does a kid need a Fitbit?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apart from going to my sister's for tea tonight I'm not doing anything and that's the way I want it.

The smart watch had me thinking someone's gone overboard on their kid.

God's obviously blessing the parents.

Every year seems to eclipse the last as the worst Christmas ever. In a lot of ways I was content with what became the norm (morning = family time, rest of the day ?? spend with friends or neighbours).

Quoted post from 2015, not much has changed

Christmas began at 8am..... was done and dusted at 10am (well the family stuff anyway. Have had a few visitors and visting others later to say g'day).

Just came back from kicking the footy around for 30ish minutes (complete with random shots at goal plus the appropriate celebration if I nailed it :D - and Bruce style commentary). Also did my year of reflection that I do every year.

Now plotting my assault on Boxing Day tomorrow $$$$ will be spent!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back