What's your best cricket memory?

Remove this Banner Ad

Wedge McManus

Cancelled
Jan 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Boon's catch for me to give warne his hatrick. I was so young seeing my dad crying in joy was special. It was an absolute screamer too, probably a millimetre off the turf. God I love David boon

Several.

The SA run chase at wanderers.

I was living in a mansion with 7 mates. We all started watching it, all had work the next morning. After the Aussie innings we were kind of in shock but thought ‘what the hell, may as well watch the first 10 overs of the chase. At least it will be entertaining.’
From then on it was ‘just another over’ and suddenly at 35 overs it looked like it was on the cards.

Ambrose 7/1 at Perth.

Gayle century at Perth. It was just pure fury.
So was McCullum’s fastest ever hundred. I literally applauded.
Steyn taking 20 wickets in a couple of tests against the Kiwis - I’ve never seen someone with such mastery over every member of the opposition.
Boony hitting three tons in the 93 Ashes.
Obviously the world record chase in 2003.
The last two weeks have been pretty f***en good.

But a clear number one:

No prizes.
The 1999 third test at Bridgetown. I woke up in time to hear the last 10 runs or so on the ABC. I basically wanked.

Several.

The SA run chase at wanderers.

I was living in a mansion with 7 mates. We all started watching it, all had work the next morning. After the Aussie innings we were kind of in shock but thought ‘what the hell, may as well watch the first 10 overs of the chase. At least it will be entertaining.’
From then on it was ‘just another over’ and suddenly at 35 overs it looked like it was on the cards.

Ambrose 7/1 at Perth.

Gayle century at Perth. It was just pure fury.
So was McCullum’s fastest ever hundred. I literally applauded.
Steyn taking 20 wickets in a couple of tests against the Kiwis - I’ve never seen someone with such mastery over every member of the opposition.
Boony hitting three tons in the 93 Ashes.
Obviously the world record chase in 2003.
The last two weeks have been pretty f***en good.

But a clear number one:

No prizes.
The 1999 third test at Bridgetown. I woke up in time to hear the last 10 runs or so on the ABC. I basically wanked.
Good on you mate I hope you thrashwanked it raw celebrating that unbelievable result. s**t you've got a good memory for cricket. I remember steyn dumping the kiwis that test series too and breaking their openers face IIRC. He.was. unplayable.... My best memory of the saffas is A.Nel........what an utter clown he was

Belting India in 2003 WC Final.

That was so satisfying.

Ill just think back to that match whenever I'm disappointed in losing to India.
Was epic. Pontings knock was one of the best ever

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

When I first saw Nathan bracken bowl for us I blew my load wondering "where the **** did this guy come from??!! No bowler in history has swung it as beautifully as him imho

Good on you mate I hope you thrashwanked it raw celebrating that unbelievable result. s**t you've got a good memory for cricket. I remember steyn dumping the kiwis that test series too and breaking their openers face IIRC. He.was. unplayable.... My best memory of the saffas is A.Nel........what an utter clown he was

Hahaha yeah Gunther as he liked to call himself. He was a bit of a head case - to the point where he tried to kill himself when some affairs were exposed.

You’re right, I think it was Craig Cumming who Steyn rearranged, it was just brutal.

That 99 series, after they lost 5-0 in SA and then lost inside 3 days to Australia in the first test, it was a side absolutely going down the tubes. They still had Walsh and Ambrose but Lara was on the outer, his average was nearly down at 40, and their side was just a rabble. Suddenly he and Jimmy Adams (with some help from Pedro Collins) batted through a day at Kingston without losing a wicket. He slaughtered them. Suddenly it was back on.

Brett Lee and Glenn McGrath surviving the best part of 4 overs to get Australia a draw at Old Trafford. Ricky Ponting's ton on the last day of that test illustrated what makes test cricket so great for me.Plus it was arguably his most important test century.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahaha yeah Gunther as he liked to call himself. He was a bit of a head case - to the point where he tried to kill himself when some affairs were exposed.

You’re right, I think it was Craig Cumming who Steyn rearranged, it was just brutal.

That 99 series, after they lost 5-0 in SA and then lost inside 3 days to Australia in the first test, it was a side absolutely going down the tubes. They still had Walsh and Ambrose but Lara was on the outer, his average was nearly down at 40, and their side was just a rabble. Suddenly he and Jimmy Adams (with some help from Pedro Collins) batted through a day at Kingston without losing a wicket. He slaughtered them. Suddenly it was back on.
You're preaching to the choir now Brother. I remember watching Pedro Collins bowl. Had the most languidly beautiful left arm technique from memory. I never really saw Lara bat unfortunately but wish I had. The way you talk about the windies I can tell you are hoping for a Carribbean resurgence? How good would that be? I look at their players and I see specimens of athletes with their size and builds etc. You reckon they are a couple of out and out gun batsmen and a class spinner away from sustained success??

You're preaching to the choir now Brother. I remember watching Pedro Collins bowl. Had the most languidly beautiful left arm technique from memory. I never really saw Lara bat unfortunately but wish I had. The way you talk about the windies I can tell you are hoping for a Carribbean resurgence? How good would that be? I look at their players and I see specimens of athletes with their size and builds etc. You reckon they are a couple of out and out gun batsmen and a class spinner away from sustained success??

You’re right, Collins did have a very easy action and elegance about the way he bowled. Stark contrast to his half brother Fidel Edwards, who almost had a Jeff Thompson-esque way of just sprinting in and flinging it down.

Another batsman about as good as Bravo would be perfect. They don’t have many options on domestic cricket but things are improving. They now have nearly 120 professional cricketers across the 6 regions and 6 CPL franchises. I think Tagenarine Chanderpaul, Chandrapaul Hemraj, Jermaine Blackwood and possibly Sunil Ambris all have a bit to offer with the bat. If they can look past his eclipse-like physique, Rakheem Cornwall is another id have in the mix.

Their best way forward is to prepare fast wickets, pick four quicks plus Chase, and turn their home series’ into series they should almost always win. That should theoretically help them compete better in Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and England.

From there they can start to develop into a team that can compete in Asia hopefully through better planning and coaching.

You’re right, Collins did have a very easy action and elegance about the way he bowled. Stark contrast to his half brother Fidel Edwards, who almost had a Jeff Thompson-esque way of just sprinting in and flinging it down.

Another batsman about as good as Bravo would be perfect. They don’t have many options on domestic cricket but things are improving. They now have nearly 120 professional cricketers across the 6 regions and 6 CPL franchises. I think Tagenarine Chanderpaul, Chandrapaul Hemraj, Jermaine Blackwood and possibly Sunil Ambris all have a bit to offer with the bat. If they can look past his eclipse-like physique, Rakheem Cornwall is another id have in the mix.

Their best way forward is to prepare fast wickets, pick four quicks plus Chase, and turn their home series’ into series they should almost always win. That should theoretically help them compete better in Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and England.

From there they can start to develop into a team that can compete in Asia hopefully through better planning and coaching.
Would've been great if they let chanderpaul play on for a bit and his son got the call up to the team

Would've been great if they let chanderpaul play on for a bit and his son got the call up to the team

They got to play for their home country Guyana together which is pretty cool.

Add Chanderpaul’s exit from the Windies side to the long list of disappointments. I understood why they dropped him but at the same time it was sad to see a loyal servant not given a fairwell home test

I wouldn't say I'm the most patriotic when it comes to cricket but i loved seeing and hearing the Aussie team sing 'Under the Southern Cross I Stand' on the SCG just moments after the 2013-14 Ashes whitewash was completed. Unfortunately the moment was ruined by Mark Nicholas asking Shane Warne to talk over the singing of the song.

When I first saw Nathan bracken bowl for us I blew my load wondering "where the **** did this guy come from??!! No bowler in history has swung it as beautifully as him imho
Me too he was something else. Although I don't think it was CA's greatest memory when he entered the setup lol. Enjoy your day off wedges lmao. Come back refreshed you silly boy

Last edited:
John Snow being grabbed by the arm by a spectator when he returned to field on the fence after felling Jenner with a bouncer. Then Illingworth taking his players off the field in I think a 1971 Ashes test at the SCG.

Hahaha what did he do/post?
Who knows. He posted some fairly aggressive stuff about Sri Lanka not being worthy of future tours in the other thread yesterday. Probably needs to wind that stuff down. Love his and your work though. Keep it up. Funny and informative

I mentioned it in another thread but no session of cricket has ever been more enjoyable than Hayden and Symonds destroying England in THAT Ashes session. It’s the session from where that shot of Flintoff watching the ball go over his head comes from.

Johnson’s destruction sessions were also a thing of beauty.

Any time Warne bowled. Say what you will about the bloke, he was able to do something no one else could. I think the fact that MacGill was around at the same time made a lot of people not realise how special Warne and leg spin was. That ability both those guys had to rip it right angles was stunning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back