Strategy Fremantle Dockers Next Generation Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately this weekend's game has been cancelled due to extreme weather and is unlikely going to be rescheduled. The third and final fixture wont be until April as a Curtain raiser before the Derby.

Unfortunately this weekend's game has been cancelled due to extreme weather and is unlikely going to be rescheduled. The third and final fixture wont be until April as a Curtain raiser before the Derby.
Thanks for all the updates

Born overseas with both parents born overseas.

The full story, he was born overseas to Filipino parents. Biological father ran off before he was born. He got to Australia when he was 6, pretty sick with chest issues, a whole 16.3kg and no English. I took him down to Auskick in Yr 2 so he could make some friends, learn some English and most of all build some strength and lung capacity. Luckily, we then lived down at South Beach a few doors down from a young Nat Fyfe so he got to have a kick and meet him when I was teaching him how to kick (Kurt, not Nat) on Wilson Park. Obviously he's bled purple and been a member of Freo FC ever since.

Has all the natural talent in the world (I could see that when he was playing basketball at 3) but no endurance .... slack 13 year old. He did the AFL combine testing as part of an invite only Rising Stars academy (11 - 15 yo) last year as a 12 year old and got in top couple for standing vertical leap 49cm (2nd), running jump left foot 68cm (1st), right foot 57cm (2nd) and agility 8.45 secs (1st) despite being one of the younger ones. We've never pushed him (he's still 13!) but it's all up to him now. We've all seen hundreds with the natural talent bomb out who don't have the drive or want to do the hard work. That'll be the difference between whether he plays WAFL or AFL. Sorry too much info there!

Thanks for sharing Hoss. Never too much positive information for Bigfooty Freo! Best of luck, look forward to updates. It is obviously a long journey and the key to it all is enjoying your footy as mentioned. Sounds like he has the athletic capacity which seems to be the primary priority for recruiters these days.

Liam Henry and i think Manfred Kelly.

Havent seen much of Manfred in the last 12 months but remember watching him the year before in the midfield and he seriously tore it up. He's quite short though but tough as nails.

If they can both apply defensive pressure then it is fine.

In fact, see the Pies for what happens when you have 3-4 quality medium forwards.
Big fan of this, and would prefer a structure of 2 genuine KPFs, 2 genuine, skilled marking medium forwards, and 2 fast smalls.

I am a fan of Lobb and like having a genuine forward/2nd ruck. But he needs to earn his bread and butter as a forward. 2nd ruck is very much a part-time position for us, and could be filled by a mixture of Cox, Taberner or even Logue in my opinion.

I prefer;
Walters Hogan Bennell
Sturt Lobb Switkowski

to;

Walters Hogan Bennell
Sturt Lobb Taberner/Cox

or even the hybrid medium/tall in McCarthy.

BUT, the reality is that they all have great potential.

Being a 'tall' small forward (that is agile and fast) is a massive advantage. Very excited about Henry and Sturt both being in our future forward line as 'small forwards'. And they both have the attributes to evolve into midfielders potentially as well. Good news is we have some other skilful NGA prospects that can play in the back half - hopefully one of them can become Hayden-esk (under his tutelage of course).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those in the know, these two boys are eligible for this years draft is that correct?

In preliminary draft calculations where do they sit? Early, mid or unlikely?

Henry is probably a mid to late, Butters, and Manfred with a bit of work to do.

Performances this year in U18’s will be the key.

Would be encouraging if some of next years NGA kids made it to U18’s level as underagers, as it will give us a bit more of a look at them.

Last edited:
Henry is probably a mid to late, Butters, and Manfred with a bit of work to do.

Performances this year in U18’s will be the key.

Would be encouraging if some of next years NGA kids made it to U18’s level as underagers, as it will give us a bit more of a look at them.

I think Brandon Walker will get selected as an under ager. Joel Western is a little less likely based on his size but he had a great start to colts last season so if he continues on that trend, he'll have a great chance.

I can’t wait to see Carter in action this year. Hopefully he’ll earn himself a game in the firsts this year. Very excited.
as his buddy I endorse this message

Yeh I know it’s not the same as NGA but Heath Blacks son, Chayce Black, can be drafted by Fremantle as a father-son choice.

He plays for Eastern Ranges in the TAC!

Yeh I know it’s not the same as NGA but Heath Blacks son, Chayce Black, can be drafted by Fremantle as a father-son choice.

He plays for Eastern Ranges in the TAC!

Is he any good?
Looking at his stats it doesn’t give much away.
About 15 touches per game across 11 games last season.

A few wraps on him as an underager last year in TAC, one to follow this year. If he makes Vic Metro squad it will be interesting.

He’s a midfield type.

Afldraft Central has this to say in the U17 Vic Metro game with ActNSW ..... sounds like his olde man!

“#3 Chayce Black

Black crashed in from the get-go and worked hard to set the tone for his side from the wing. While he struggled to get a handle on it early, Black later found more of the ball – flicking it out while standing in tackles and bursting through at stoppages. He laid a great tackle where he almost jumped on the back of his opponent and clung on, highlighting his desire for the contest and good presence”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back