Society/Culture Hypocrisy of The Left - part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

You ever sat through diversity training at work? What would happen if you said “hang on, this is bullshit” about concepts like implicit bias, despite them actually being bullshit?

Never sat through it. What would happen?

I recall over a decade ago finding something resembling asbestos at work. Was told by others to shut up. Asked the boss. Casual shifts stopped.

Never sat through it. What would happen?

I recall over a decade ago finding something resembling asbestos at work. Was told by others to shut up. Asked the boss. Casual shifts stopped.

Oh noes, not asbestos.
Meanwhile a huge amount of people safely live in homes internally clad with asbestos sheeting.

Suggestions they should adjust their language?

What about how workers refrain from reporting safety issues, wage issues, harassment, unfair working hours? My example of PC has actual harmful results for people.

That's all good & well mate, but what about the matter IFRE has actually tabled?

Only if you define it according to the torrent of emotive bull shit this thread is.

The powe held by employers and their political allies compels behaviour and speech. I’ve provided meaningful examples that have harmful impacts.
There’s no political component to reporting on unsafe workplaces. It’s a health and safety issue, completely different to political speech. You’re lowering the threshold of the definition to include anything you think is harmful.

If you found asbestos (and lost your job as a result) you should have alerted the relevant authorities. Did you?

There’s no political component to reporting on unsafe workplaces. It’s a health and safety issue, completely different to political speech. You’re lowering the threshold of the definition to include anything you think is harmful.

If you found asbestos (and lost your job as a result) you should have alerted the relevant authorities. Did you?

If gender pronouns are political, policies enforced by govt regulatory bodies impacting speech and actions at work surely are aswell.

Is Citizens United an example of conservative silencing? Not sure myself, just checking y'all?

Last edited:
Anyone who complies with this shit is a certified moron

I'm going to remember this next time I see a lost kid at the shops.

'It's OK little one, don't cry. Now where is your non gender specific legal guardian? I'll help you find them'
'Waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh mummmmyyyyyyyyyyy'
'Um that's offensive to non binary primary care givers, you're on your own. Give me your teddy'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going to remember this next time I see a lost kid at the shops.

'It's OK little one, don't cry. Now where is your non gender specific legal guardian? I'll help you find them'
'Waaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh mummmmyyyyyyyyyyy'
'Um that's offensive to non binary primary care givers, you're on your own. Give me your teddy'

1550630907710.png

Yes.

But for a more concrete example, Qantas issued an edict to their staff last year to use gender appropriate language. Eg avoid using terms like “mum” and “dad”

https://www.news.com.au/finance/bus...d/news-story/068e9769c30a180b182ab8020a2d0e50

Qantas employs around 26,000 people.
The thing about that Qantas type of nonsense is that it actually achieves the opposite of its intent - it is teaching people to accommodate intolerance.

And there’s two issues with that. One is obviously that we should be trying to create a more tolerant society. So if someone wants to call their mum “Mum” or brother “brother”, they can and ALL those around them show a willingness to accept that, even if it doesn’t align with their own view of the world.

Secondly, it all is based upon an assumption of intolerance on behalf of minorities. And, for the most part, that intolerance simply isn’t there.

So these training guides are developed to help us appease an intolerant minority of a monitory.

Great outcome.

The thing about that Qantas type of nonsense is that it actually achieves the opposite of its intent - it is teaching people to accommodate intolerance.

And there’s two issues with that. One is obviously that we should be trying to create a more tolerant society. So if someone wants to call their mum “Mum” or brother “brother”, they can and ALL those around them show a willingness to accept that, even if it doesn’t align with their own view of the world.

Secondly, it all is based upon an assumption of intolerance on behalf of minorities. And, for the most part, that intolerance simply isn’t there.

So these training guides are developed to help us appease an intolerant minority of a monitory.

Great outcome.

Instead, staff are encouraged to use the phrases “partner”, “spouse” and “parents" so as not to discriminate against LGBTI families.

You take this sort of thing far too seriously. Tell me again how wanting to be inclusive is "an assumption of intolerance on behalf of minorities"? Is the word 'partner' really all that offensive? Is simply hearing the word 'parent' really enough to have you clutching your chest in anger?

You take this sort of thing far too seriously. Tell me again how wanting to be inclusive is "an assumption of intolerance on behalf of minorities"? Is the word 'partner' really all that offensive? Is simply hearing the word 'parent' really enough to have you clutching your chest in anger?
If a Qantas worker says “mum” and someone is offended by it, does that Qantas worker deserve penalty, including possible loss of their job or derailment of career?

If a Qantas worker says “mum” and someone is offended by it, does that Qantas worker deserve penalty, including possible loss of their job or derailment of career?
Is that what would happen?

Why wouldn't it? What is the purpose of guidelines if they are not enforced?
Staff are encouraged to do what was suggested, if they don't I guess it just becomes one small thing that likely doesn't even get noticed, but even if it does then it would be taken into account with everything else. That's the problem with the entire premise of this thread, it just goes way over the top and blows small things up into career-ending atrocities.

Staff are encouraged to do what was suggested, if they don't I guess it just becomes one small thing that likely doesn't even get noticed, but even if it does then it would be taken into account with everything else. That's the problem with the entire premise of this thread, it just goes way over the top and blows small things up into career-ending atrocities.
There have been people who have lost their careers over breaching corporate PC norms - James Damore being the most significant case. The idea that this stuff doesn't have a chilling effect is fanciful.

The progressive minimisation of this really goes according to script:

1. what are you talking about?
  2. it doesn't happen.
  3. if it happens its rare.
  4. it happening a lot is just a sign of more people needing to be educated. diversity training is necessary and good
  5. you're a bigot, saying "mum" is hate speech.

There have been people who have lost their careers over breaching corporate PC norms - James Damore being the most significant case. The idea that this stuff doesn't have a chilling effect is fanciful.

The progressive minimisation of this really goes according to script:

1. what are you talking about?
  2. it doesn't happen.
  3. if it happens its rare.
  4. it happening a lot is just a sign of more people needing to be educated. diversity training is necessary and good
  5. you're a bigot, saying "mum" is hate speech.
When that happens then get back to me. In this instance there is no evidence that someone will get sacked for saying 'mum'. Qantas clearly feels that creating an inclusive atmosphere on their aeroplanes will help them make money.

When that happens then get back to me. In this instance there is no evidence that someone will get sacked for saying 'mum'. Qantas clearly feels that creating an inclusive atmosphere on their aeroplanes will help them make money.
When it happens you will excuse it as speech that was necessarily restricted in order to avoid offending people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back