HB: Stratton Brand Impey
CE: Smith O'Meara Henderson
HF: Wingard Gunston Burgoyne
FF: Breust Roughead Puopolo
RR: McEvoy Shiels Worpel

INT: Ceglar Morrison Scrimshaw Howe
EMG: Nash Mohr Cousins Moore
Bang on but i'd have Cuz in for Scrimshaw

Clarko has been known to throw young players in the deep end before though. I think Moore is a chance to debut with wingard playing more midfield than forward.

I did initially have Moore on the interchange over Howe, however with Mitchell going down, I feel as though we can't/won't rely on any one player to fill that void, because simply, no player we have on our list can.

I decided to put Howe in to add to those midfield rotations, however if we weren't in our current midfield dilemma, then I would definitely have Moore ahead of him, so let for the reason that I think he'd quickly develop into a more handy player for us, than what Howe currently offers.

Historically, Clarko is pretty conservative when it comes to Round 1 team selection, with his only replacements predominantly being players who have come in as best 22 options covering a best 22 player who departed or was unable to play.

In 2018, the only new player he had in the outfit was Jarman Impey (Luke Hodge).
In 2017, for obvious reasons he had Tom Mitchell (Sam Mitchell), Jaeger O'Meara (Jordan Lewis), Ty Vickery (Jon Ceglar), Ricky Henderson (Brad Hill).
In 2016, Litherland (Lake), Pittonet (Hale), Sicily (Rough).

Can't see any wholesale changes happening in 2019.

They'll probably give Brand first go at replacing Burton, with Scrimshaw as a second option.
They'll likely bring Wingard into the centre more often to offset Mitchell's loss.
Based on form, I'm thinking Moore will come in as the forward option to replace Cyril.

FB: Hardwick Frawley Sicily
HB: Stratton Brand Impey
C: Smith O'Meara Shiels
HF: Henderson Gunston Burgoyne
FF: Breust Roughead Puopolo
RR: McEvoy Wingard Worpel

INT: Ceglar Morrison Moore Howe

I've left Cousins out for Rd 1 because I don't believe that's how they'd initially manage the replacement of Tom.

Here's my thoughts FWIW

B: Hardwick Frawley Stratts
HB: Impey Brand Sicily
C: Hendo JOM Smith
HF: Breust Gunston Wingard
FF: Burgers Roughy Poppy
R: McEvoy Shiels Worps

Int: Howe, Cegs, Morrison, Moore

B:Glass Stratton Hardwick
HB: Birchall/Scrimshaw Sicily Impey

Glass may not find a spot over the likes of Frawley or Brand but believe his run out of the backline may be a valuable asset for us with impey looking to play some increased midfield time. Birchall/Scrimshaw probably rests with birch's fitness/
C:Smith Worpel Shiels
R:Jaegs Howe McEvoy

See no reason why this won't be our starting midield group although it's not preferable to have shiels on a wing. Someone else will be there I assume. With assistance from scully(when fit), impey, wingard, morrison, breust, henderson, puopolo, roughy and/or the second ruck option we should be able to have a decent enough midfield to make things work although there is no doubt that mitchell's vacancy leaves a hole bigger than the one in my heart after malceski's 2012 sealer.
HF: Wingard Gunston Morrison
F: Puopolo Roughy Breust

Puopolo likely to lose games to youngsters along with probably Roughy as well through the season. Gunston may be deployed somewhere else and wouldn't be surprised to see wingard and breust with significant midfield roles. Would love to see Mitch Lewis have a crack in full foward.
I: Cegs/Pittonet Henderson Nash/Schoenmakers Brand
Not sure who starts the season as our #2 ruckman, heard both cegs and pitto have had good preseasons. Think Brand is deserving of a starting 22 spot and believe he is a more than capable defender with decent intercept abilities too. Think it's time that schoenmakers stepped up to make a real impact on this team with our lack of forward options. For me, he fades in and out of games and just hasn't had enough of an impact to warrant continued selection as a forward. Either he finds his role this year or is overtaken by the youth.
No Burgers?

Stratton Frawley Hardwick
Sicily Brand Impey
Smith Shiels Hendo
Wingard Gunston Breust
Ceglar Rough Puopolo
BB JOM Howe
I: Burgoyne Worpel Cousins Morrison
E: Moore Jones Scrimshaw Nash

Went down to see a couple of the Box Hill finals last year and really think Moore is going to be a gun but not sure if we need or can fit him in the team at the moment. Kinda feel that MC would be thinking Moore or Poppy and Poppy will get the chocolates.
Moore would have to show that he can either play midfield or wing minutes to be considered for the team round 1, unless of course Poppy and Breust up their midfield minutes considerably to cover the loss of Tom, which from reading the intra and inter thread could be a sneaky chance of happening.
I'm very curious if we will even get the answers to these questions during the JLT as I think Clarko will run heaps of guys through the centre during the JLT.
Personally I'd love it if Clarko gave Cuz a shot round 1 and I kinda think he may.

Also think Nash will be a definite starter and one of our favourite plays of the year will be the Sicily kickout long bomb that gets to Nash over the back on the wing and he runs 70 and kicks the goal :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardwick Frawley Stratton
Impey Brand Sicily
Smith Worpel Henderson
Wingard Gunston Breust
Puopolo Rough Ceglar

Mcevoy Omeara Shiels

Morrison, Burgoyne, Nash, Howe

Went down to see a couple of the Box Hill finals last year and really think Moore is going to be a gun but not sure if we need or can fit him in the team at the moment. Kinda feel that MC would be thinking Moore or Poppy and Poppy will get the chocolates.
Moore would have to show that he can either play midfield or wing minutes to be considered for the team round 1, unless of course Poppy and Breust up their midfield minutes considerably to cover the loss of Tom, which from reading the intra and inter thread could be a sneaky chance of happening.
I'm very curious if we will even get the answers to these questions during the JLT as I think Clarko will run heaps of guys through the centre during the JLT.
Personally I'd love it if Clarko gave Cuz a shot round 1 and I kinda think he may.

This is partly the reason why I changed him from the bench, to an emergency.

I just feel that we have other areas that need bolstering and as good as I think this kid will be, it's not his time yet.

Also I do still feel that we're selling Scrimshaw short, the kid has the potential to be as good as Sicily, if we give him the chance.

Given our current situation, I think it'd actually be beneficial and at this point, what do we have to lose?

Also think Nash will be a definite starter and one of our favourite plays of the year will be the Sicily kickout long bomb that gets to Nash over the back on the wing and he runs 70 and kicks the goal :)

Needs to learn how to mark the ball and kick for goal, before he can do that.

Anyone going to the game? I’m doing that membership corporate deal they offered members, will be very enjoyable if we get the win.

Anyone going to the game? I’m doing that membership corporate deal they offered members, will be very enjoyable if we get the win.

Yeah I'm going but I'm just going to be GA on the hill with the crows fans giving it to me large. We're at a minimum missing 4 of our best 22 and 2 of our top 5, that's if we manage to pick up no injuries between now and Round 1.

Have to rely on a great coaching group and unearthing some depth this season.

I feel like we had a great off season, even missing our prized recruits we cleared a lot of dead wood and have youth that can really push for minutes this year.

KPP stocks are the issue with our list.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Tough start to the year made even tougher with Wingard out. Three very winnable games to follow and then hopefully we get Wingard, Birchall and Scully back ahead of the win-loss ledger.

It's interesting no-one has Miles anywhere near best 22, which I agree with, in that plenty of people were jumping up and down when we offered him for trade.

Hardwick Frawley Stratton
Sicily O'Brien Impey

Henderson O'Meara Smith
McEvoy Worpel Shiels

Gunston Nash Morrison
Bruest Roughead Puopolo

int: Howe, Ceglar, Burgoyne and Moore.

* I see Cousins competing with Howe and Worpel. He just lacks the tools to impact away from the midfield.

** I'm hopeful we stick and plug Glass but it's hard to see him getting a game in the back half unless Impey plays midfield. Be tougher if Birchall gets back.

Last edited:
At this stage I’d have:

Stratton Frawley Hardwick
Sicily Brand Impey
Smith Shiels Hendo
Bruest Gunston Burgoyne
Poppy Rough Ceglar
McEvoy Jaeger Worpel

Cousins Howe Morrison Moore
Emg: Jones Scrimshaw Nash

Hopefully Glass, Nash, Jones, TOB, Pitto and others have a good JLT series and put pressure on spots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back