Preview Rnd 1 - Fremantle vs North Melbourne 24th March 3:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

The last few seasons, the outs from the 25/26 have almost exclusively come from the bench. Not just Freo but across the league. I assume there has been an AFL directive at some stage in the last year or two. You can still drop someone due to injury until tomorrow's teams and replace them in the 22/26. This rarely happens (less than once a round across the league) so I assume it is frowned upon/fined if it happens.

The outs are very likely from the bench.

The last few seasons, the outs from the 25/26 have almost exclusively come from the bench. Not just Freo but across the league. I assume there has been an AFL directive at some stage in the last year or two. You can still drop someone due to injury until tomorrow's teams and replace them in the 22/26. This rarely happens (less than once a round across the league) so I assume it is frowned upon/fined if it happens.

The outs are very likely from the bench.

It's not just injury though, there's no rule that says a player in the 18 on Thursday can't be dropped, even if it rarely happens

It's not just injury though, there's no rule that says a player in the 18 on Thursday can't be dropped, even if it rarely happens
There may be no publicised rule. But it has gone from players being late outs, pulled from anywhere to very few late outs and the Sunday teams almost always dropping from the extended interchange. I am certain there has been a directive from the AFL integrity unit on it.

Go through our team from last year and others teams if you're passionate and you will see how rare it is.

I was proven wrong on this, having once shared your opinion.

Interesting that Bewley not even in the squad. He was getting pumped up massively early in the pre-season. Wonder what changed?

Based off JLT I would say Crowden, Nyhuis, Duman and Schulz unlikely to play.

That only leaves 4 defenders then, surely one of Nyhuis or Duman remains

There may be no publicised rule. But it has gone from players being late outs, pulled from anywhere to very few late outs and the Sunday teams almost always dropping from the extended interchange. I am certain there has been a directive from the AFL integrity unit on it.

Go through our team from last year and others teams if you're passionate and you will see how rare it is.

I was proven wrong on this, having once shared your opinion.

Why would I do that, we're saying the same thing, it's rare but not against the rules

Tabs injured in first 10mins.
Hill injured in second quarter.
Backs against the wall.
Cam kicks 4 second half goals.
Freo win by 8pts.

Interesting that Bewley not even in the squad. He was getting pumped up massively early in the pre-season. Wonder what changed?

Probably because he couldn't get near it in the JLT.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tucker and Banfield are playing 100% from that bench. There’s no way Colyer is actually playing HBF so we’ll pick another defender most probably Hughes based off JLT form. I reckon they’ll go Duman so Conca can play more midfield but wouldn’t be surprised if they went Giro or Schultz.

The concern for me is the ruck\midfield with the new rules. Goldstein could be the difference. Hopefully Darcy can expose him around the ground. We have not yet played with Fyfe in the team, and we have not really seen Brad Hill for some time. They will have Cunnigton, Ziebell, Hall, Polec, Pittard with Sympkin running through. They will be sure to tag Fyfe.
I am unsure how this will go, but I believe our midfield with Fyfe, Brayshaw, Mundy, Hill, Langdon, Walters and Conca should be competitive. Similar strengths in run and spread, and those that can take a grab forward.

The only thing I am hoping is that the bigger ground will work out better for our structures than the JLT has shown.

Our strength is our back 6, however it was very poor skills execution at times. This is what worries me the most.

The other big question mark is we are potentially bringing in 3 players with question marks in fitness (Darcy, Hill and Tabs). We have not seen McCarthy this year really and our extended bench is mix match of youth and Peel. Probably Hughes is the form player, and Duman has the most upside IMO, but he is not quite there yet.

The more I look at these teams, the more I think we should win this game. The injuries are not an excuse in this match, as we are fielding a stronger team than last year. We need to be able to be competitive with the team we have on the park. If we get a few more injuries to key players, then we are in strife.
For now, I am waiving the optimistic flag, because we have not lost a game yet!

McCarthy's highest ever AFL score 5 goals against gc playing for GWS, also kicked 4 against them as well.
He needs to have a good game, as Cox & Hogan are automatic selections once ready.
I have a feeling cam might be in for a good game finally

Last edited:
McCarthy's highs ever AFL score 5 goals against gc playing for GWS, also kicked 4 against them as well.
He needs to have a good game, as Cox & Hogan are automatic selections once ready.
I have a feeling cam might be in for a good game finally
Be happy with a solid 2-3 goal performance, setting up goals and tackling. Not much to ask for

Remove this Banner Ad

Back