Swearing at umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Happened a lot tonight, and from players who should know better, Ablett - Pendlebury - Beams - Danger to name a few and not one 50 paid, clear audio every time.

Well done AFL, the junior umpires around the country thank you.

Omg you can’t be serious? Do you want robots out there?
Got to love you people who think the sky is blue all the time, everyone is in control of their emotions and living in a utopia.
FMD get a life!

If the AFL want live onfield audio they need to clean it up, what happens in the AFL filters down all the way to Auskick level, Muppet.

The AFL is not junior footy, men are different to kids. Have you ever sworn in your life?
It is such a fantasy to think what AFL level players do kids will do.
I watched Dennis Lillee my hero kick a player as a 10 year old, no one I know across the entire country in junior sport decided to start kicking players on a cricket field.
If you don’t like swearing that’s good and well but in real life it is a part of real human behaviour. Doesn’t have to be but it is.
There is no such thing as this perfect world you obviously want, get over it and please for do not tell your kids their is.

The AFL is not junior footy, men are different to kids. Have you ever sworn in your life?
It is such a fantasy to think what AFL level players do kids will do.
I watched Dennis Lillee my hero kick a player as a 10 year old, no one I know across the entire country in junior sport decided to start kicking players on a cricket field.
If you don’t like swearing that’s good and well but in real life it is a part of real human behaviour. Doesn’t have to be but it is.
There is no such thing as this perfect world you obviously want, get over it and please for do not tell your kids their is.
I'm afraid the point may be beyond you.

I'm afraid the point may be beyond you.

You’re just peeved no one is running in to support your pathetic little whinge.

No one gives a ####..I’ll give you the tip.

You want 50s givin half a dozen times a game for swearing?

Turn_it_up ffs.

Happened a lot tonight, and from players who should know better, Ablett - Pendlebury - Beams - Danger to name a few and not one 50 paid, clear audio every time.

As long as the umpire feels comfortable penalising a player abusing them, I'm good with it. I dont think umps should penalise a player just cos they hear swearing.

As long as the umpire feels comfortable penalising a player abusing them, I'm good with it. I dont think umps should penalise a player just cos they hear swearing.
I'm fine with that, i played footy in the 80s/90s, my gripe is if the AFL/networks want the umps miked up swearing has to go, my kids picked up every loose word tonight, as did every other kid who watched, now for those who of you who quoted me before this post, maybe you don't have children, or maybe you condone that sort of talk, but i certainly don't, not during that time slot anyway.

Kids pick things up, dribble kicks/bananas/don't argues etc, things AFL players do, do we really want them swearing when things don't go their way at Auskick? It's a simple fix.

Last edited:
If you watch the game for the spectacle maybe turn your volume down or just mute if youre that concerned or offended.
Always found it amazing comparing a sport like soccer with referee leniency v umpires in afl. Not saying soccer has it right, but give a little get a little.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm fine with that, i played footy in the 80s/90s, my gripe is if the AFL/networks want the umps miked up swearing has to go, my kids picked up every loose word tonight, as did every other kid who watched, now for those who of you who quoted me before this post, maybe you don't have children, or maybe you condone that sort of talk, but i certainly don't, not during that time slot anyway.

Kids pick things up, dribble kicks/bananas/don't argues etc, things AFL players do, do we really want them swearing when things don't go their way at Auskick? It's a simple fix.

Yeah it is a simple fix. Turn the ******* microphone off

Think people are missing OP’s point it isn’t the swearing it’s the fact the umps are mic’d up so the audio of the players swearing is coming through pretty Clearly

is swearing illegal?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Abuse of umpires at junior levels is extreme and disgusting and results in far far less umpires taking up the job or sticking with it... And yes, how AFL players behave DOES impact on lower leagues that's beyond doubt.
Swearing is fine but any sort of abuse or swearing directed at umpires should be firstly a warning then a penalty if it happens again

Nothing wrong with swearing but umpires could pay a 50m penalty so best not to.

Arguing and/or swearing at the umpires are a bad idea, the free is already paid just get on with it and show some class
******* childish really.

So long as rugby union exists it will always be the standard to which all other codes should aspire.

There is actually no good reason why we should allow any leniency on swearing at or to the ref. Straight up 25m penalty for using a swear word in a sentence. 50m if abusive.

"******* hell what else could i do?" - cool story pal, lets go 25.

"You're a ******* dog" awesome, 50m and 6 weeks at the tribunal.

"* sake" 25 champ lets go.

People are capable of better- why do we insist they can't be?

Drill it into your kids thst swearing is bad then mate. It's not the world's job to raise your children.

Abuse of umpires at junior levels is extreme and disgusting and results in far far less umpires taking up the job or sticking with it... And yes, how AFL players behave DOES impact on lower leagues that's beyond doubt.
Swearing is fine but any sort of abuse or swearing directed at umpires should be firstly a warning then a penalty if it happens again
Im in 100% agreement. Its a bad look and completely at odds with post game behaviour in front of the cameras.

By all means drop an eff bomb at yourself but if you're directing it at an ump after copping a free against you get what you deserve.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back