The difficulty in getting good assistant coaches to South Australia...

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
I was having a discussion earlier today with someone about the Assistant Coaches. Not just at our club but as Port as well.

This is the collective list of Assistant/Development Coaches at both clubs.

Vossy
Chad Cornes
Nathan Basset
Dean Brogan
Scott Thompson
Stuart Cochrane
Paul Stewart
Ben Hart
Campo
Mick Godden
Marty Mattner
Trent Hentchel
Brett Montgomery
Jarrod Schoefield
Heath Younie,
Brent Reily,
Paul Thomas
Matthew Wright
Matthew Lokan

One thing that really stands out is that all but Vossy either played for one of the two AFL clubs or played/coached in the SANFL.

There are calls for "Jobs for the Boys" on here often in regards to our coaching group. And yes this is often correct.

However what concerns me is the ability to lure decent assistants to SA and more importantly us, when there are 10 AFL clubs in Victoria. It seems both clubs can only attract Assistant Coaches who have lived here before.

I feel this is starting to become an issue. Especially after seeing Teague leave us to go home to Carlton and us replace him with Francou and then Ben Hart.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I was having a discussion earlier today with someone about the Assistant Coaches. Not just at our club but as Port as well.

This is the collective list of Assistant Coaches at both clubs.

Vossy
Chad Cornes
Nathan Basset
Dean Brogan
Scott Thompson
Stuart Cochrane
Paul Stewart
Ben Hart
Campo
Mick Godden
Marty Mattner
Trent Hentchel
Brett Montgomery
Jarrod Schoefield
Heath Younie,
Brent Reily,
Paul Thomas
Matthew Wright

One thing that really stands out is that all but Vossy either played for one of the two AFL clubs or played/coached in the SANFL.

There are calls for "Jobs for the Boys" on here often in regards to our coaching group. And yes this is often correct.

However what concerns me is the ability to lure decent assistants to SA and more importantly us, when there are 10 AFL clubs in Victoria. It seems both clubs can only attract Assistant Coaches who have lived here before.

I feel this is starting to become an issue.

I brought this up last year when everyone was whinging about jobs for the boys. This is absolutely an issue. Why would you uproot your family from Victoria where there are 10 clubs to choose from which means many more opportunities, and move to Adelaide? There is also a very limited pool to draw from.

I brought this up last year when everyone was whinging about jobs for the boys. This is absolutely an issue. Why would you uproot your family from Victoria where there are 10 clubs to choose from which means many more opportunities, and move to Adelaide? There is also a very limited pool to draw from.
I believe Hart's family still live in Melbourne.

Stuff the soft cap and pay the football department tax. We have the cash and money talks. If Fages is serious about having the best football department then find the best and keep upping the number till they say yes. It’s not that hard.

Would Clarko turn down 3m a year? Would a top tier Victorian assistant turn down 800k a year?

Last edited:
Stuff the soft cap and pay the football department tax. We have the cash and money talks. If Fages is serious about having the best football department then find the best and keep upping the number till they say yes. It’s not that hard.

Would Clarko turn down 3m a year? Would a top tier Victorian assist turn done 800k a year?
And maybe that’s it in a nutshell. Bribe the crap out of em.

And maybe that’s it in a nutshell. Bribe the crap out of em.

It’s not a bribe, we just have to pay a premium to attract people to live in Adelaide.

We can afford to buy a mother ******* esports team yet we can’t open the wallet to get elite talent into the football department. It’s embarrassing.

The club simply doesn’t priorities winning a premiership. All there is to it.

West coast have some quality interstate assistants in Hickmott and Pratt. Not massive names as players but high quality line coaches like Teague was.

If we had a professional culture and we blew the cobwebs out of our wallet there is no reason we couldn't have nice tools in the coaches shed.

West coast have some quality interstate assistants in Hickmott and Pratt. Not massive names as players but high quality line coaches like Teague was.

If we had a professional culture and we blew the cobwebs out of our wallet there is no reason we couldn't have nice tools in the coaches shed.
They also have $30m cash in the bank and never had to financially prop up a State League.

Yep, it won't be easy but we will either have to find the money or find another angle to get them here.

Pyke and Campo in the top roles, Brett Burton also in charge, would you want to come here and work under them if it is a career advancement thing? If we had a history of coaches coming to Adelaide, succeeding and then going to do other things at other clubs we might be seen as a pathway for quality coaches.

Like Hawthorn will never have any problems, you go there and add a few seasons alongside Clarkson to your resume and you are set.

I'd try and put a strong football person in Campo or Burton's role, someone who could attract other coaches. Perhaps some sort of "elite coaching program" ran out of our new training centre that has AFL best coaching facilities, whatever they might be.

I'm really against us being a club that takes chances on unknowns, especially when we thought we were in a window, "give them time to get up to speed and see where they fit", no, not if we thought our time was now. We SHOULD be a strong enough club to attract anyone who proves themselves at any of the lesser well of clubs as a minimum.

But I don't know what the answer is, any coach that most of us think would be a good get, would have a good enough resume to have some pretty similar offers back home in Victoria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Campo would be getting paid similar to some head coaches. ****ing him off would free up a fair amount of cap space.

Don't even get me started on Burton and Hass.

Last year and Francou bolting would have scared off a lot of prospective assistants.

Yeah, lets offer 3 assistant coaches $1,000,000 to move to Adelaide

Then we have a very bad start to the season and go 1 win and 3 losses and then automatically we have the ‘supporters’ (term used very loosely) gunning for them to be sacked and ran out of town as they are useless hacks.

Yeah, lets offer 3 assistant coaches $1,000,000 to move to Adelaide

Then we have a very bad start to the season and go 1 win and 3 losses and then automatically we have the ‘supporters’ (term used very loosely) gunning for them to be sacked and ran out of town as they are useless hacks.
Morning_Fog, that’s a bit melodramatic

Last edited by a moderator:
You think that was his sole reason for leaving?
None of us will know.

But a good reason for him to go.

However his recruitment follows the same theme. Bear in mind we just lost a GF and seen as a club on the rise.

This was before CM and the publicity around how inept Burton is.

Teague left and in his place South Australian Josh Francou.

None of us will know.

But a good reason for him to go.

However his recruitment follows the same theme. Bear in mind we just lost a GF and seen as a club on the rise.

Teague left and in his place South Australian Josh Francou.

His friendship with Dew is absolutely not the reason he left for Gold Coast.

He was out of contract at the same time Dew was hired at Gold Coast. Instead of taking up our job, he could have just gone there and worked with Dew in his first year.

Instead, he came to Adelaide and broke a 3 year contract with us. He said he wanted to be here for 3 years then after 1 year he turned around and told us to * off. He's now moved his family from Sydney, to Adelaide, to Gold Coast in the space of 2 years

Highly suspicious

He was out of contract at the same time Dew was hired at Gold Coast. Instead of taking up our job, he could have just gone there and worked with Dew in his first year.

Instead, he came to Adelaide and broke a 3 year contract with us. He said he wanted to be here for 3 years then after 1 year he turned around and told us to **** off. He's now moved his family from Sydney, to Adelaide, to Gold Coast in the space of 2 years

Highly suspicious
And as usual you read into it something you have absolutely no information to support. Never change mate.

Maybe just one day you will give the club the benefit of the doubt.

And as usual you read into it something you have absolutely no information to support. Never change mate.

Maybe just one day you will give the club the benefit of the doubt.

Read into it? Isn't that exactly what assuming Francou left to be friends with Dew is? There is no information whatsoever to support that assumption

The facts are he had the opportunity to join Dew at the Gold Coast instead of taking up a contract at the Crows. He did not. That suggests his friendship with Dew is not the reason he chose to break a contract with us, because he could have done it a year earlier.

Francou even quit, citing a loss of passion and wanting to become a teacher. Then he joined Gold Coast much later. You don't think that's suspicious at all?

Instead, he came to Adelaide and broke a 3 year contract with us. He said he wanted to be here for 3 years then after 1 year he turned around and told us to **** off. He's now moved his family from Sydney, to Adelaide, to Gold Coast in the space of 2 years

Highly suspicious
Yeah I can see that. It is speculation though. As is the best mates angle.

Maybe it took Dew a year to convince GCS to lure Francou up, and in the process break a contract with us.

However he is also another South Aussie we initially recruited. Before CM and Burton's public demise.

Not the best availiable, but the best person who was prepared to live in SA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back