Review Geelong Defeats Hawks by 23 points at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Abbott should come in his form is excellent, don't want another Hamling episode.
Might keep Sav in and run two rucks against Eagles height.
What I saw on Saturday was not excellent.
But I suspect with the longer recovery for Abbott or Smith, that Sav will get a rest this week.

Guthrie was ok yesterday, stuck some good tackles but efficiency was low @54% and he's still not able to impact stoppages enough as a midfielder.
I think you and I might be the only two people on here that don't think he was utter dogshite like the #guthrieout boo boys, but also don't think he was the superstar that the guys drinking the Guthrie Kool-Aid keep telling us he was.

He put in a ton of tackles and had some good clearances. But his ball use was about average.

Sav is the future; we've been waiting for his return, we are not losing while he's building, why ruin his confidence? Unless CS is not happy with his attitude or progress, he should be persevered with. We have been crying out for continuity, and we know Abbott hardly offers any more despite his maturity. And as for Buzza, he sets us up to look like a gettable team. Sav provides a fear factor for the opposition. The others don't.
He isn't contributing. 5 games, 1 goal against a Melbourne team I could have scored against, not taking that many marks despite people telling me thats what he is in the team for, doesn't win many hit outs as the second ruck, why would you want to keep passengers in the team? His kicking at goal has been atrocious of late. We wouldn't get worse from Abbott or probably Fort, but might get some upside.

Players should earn their spot, and perform to keep it.

McGovern is going to run off Esava this week. He will have an absolute field day on him because he knows that he probably won't mark the ball going forward, and if he does it will only be 2 or 3 times, and they won't result in goals.

A spell in the VFL to kick a few goals and take some marks would do well for Esava because being worst on ground every second week isn't going to help his confidence either.

In terms of an I-can-hurt-you presence, perhaps. But in terms of a goal threat, not yet.
We can win games with our 2 KF's providing nothing yesterday, let's be patient, you can sense it coming.
I always felt Sav should have started this year at VFL level, but he is a project player, and they have a plan in action. Is it ok to tell him now it's not working? When the structure actually is working... After all, it's about a functional forward line, creating space for many scoring options, and that's what Hawk and Sav are doing.

Did you watch the game or did you just read the stats in the Sun? Guthrie was great yesterday and even his most harsh critics should acknowledge that.
I'm one of his critics. He was allright, hardly say great but first game back.
54% actually seems a bit low to me but it's a bullshit stat anyway.
For a 26 yo? automatic best 22 player. Meh. Probably would rather Constable.
For a depth player earning his spot, yeah pretty good.

We can win games with our 2 KF's providing nothing yesterday, let's be patient, you can sense it coming.
I always felt Sav should have started this year at VFL level, but he is a project player, and they have a plan in action. Is it ok to tell him now it's not working? When the structure actually is working... After all, it's about a functional forward line, creating space for many scoring options, and that's what Hawk and Sav are doing.

Rohan is playing as well as I have ever seen. Hasn't missed a set shot and is always in the contest with his electrifying pace. While he's performing and hitting the scoreboard the pressure is off Sav to a degree.

However Abbott and Fort are playing well in the seconds and kicking goals. Abbott at least probably deserves a game or two in the firsts.

I like optimism I’m never one to put it down, but he has just been terrible this season. We can’t continue to carry a key forward who barely touches it and has kicked 1 goal in 5 matches.

He is becoming a liability down there.

He at least needs to kick his 1-2 goals and present well. He is no where near AFL standard atm
Appreciate your view. I just think after watching the game a second time that his contribution was much greater than you are stating.

Hawks board makes for great reading; they're calling the game a 'win' for them since they were missing Stratton and conventiently ignoring the absoloute moustache ride they got from the umpires.

I'm one of his critics. He was allright, hardly say great but first game back.
54% actually seems a bit low to me but it's a bullshit stat anyway.
For a 26 yo? automatic best 22 player. Meh. Probably would rather Constable.
For a depth player earning his spot, yeah pretty good.
Guthrie had 1 Centre Clearance for the entire day and 3 stoppage clearnaces (2 were handball receives) .... hardly inspiring stuff. We are struggling to maintain the intensity in the midfield and get first use of the ball because of our timidity around the ball ups. Guthrie just doesnt bring what we need in that department. Posters also fan boying over him making 8 tackles... but how many were effective or actually stuck? I counted about 3... but I did say I would mark him on intent, and intent was definitely there.
Cant stress enough how important Selwood was in that 3rd 1/4 yesterday. Completely took over in the middle after half time, and that allowed us to control the game in other parts of the ground.

Last edited:
Guthrie had a good game relative to how he usually plays.

I certainly won't be creaming my pants over 22 touches @ 55% DE. His high tackles numbers was again due to being second to the ball.

Intensity was there so that's a start

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guthrie had a good game relative to how he usually plays.

I certainly won't be creaming my pants over 22 touches @ 55% DE. His high tackles numbers was again due to being second to the ball.

Intensity was there so that's a start
I liked his second half, it made sense to me that he'd take a bit of time to catch up being his first AFL game of the year and an interrupted pre-season.

Sav needs a spell, bringing in Abbott to play as forward/ruck isn't optimal but its the best we have. Cant go into a game with 1 ruck as the new rules make ruck work far more important.

Clark also looks a bit tired.

Our depth is going to get tested soon cos having a best 22 of kids and old blokes isn't ideal.

Guthrie had 1 Centre Clearance for the entire day and 3 stoppage clearnaces (2 were handball receives) .... hardly inspiring stuff. We are struggling to maintain the intensity in the midfield and get first use of the ball because of our timidity around the ball ups, and Guthrie just doesnt bring what we need in that department. Posters also fan boying over him making 8 tackles... but how many were effective or actually stuck? I counted about 3... but I did say I would mark him on intent, and intent was definitely there.
Cant stress enough how important Selwood was in that 3rd 1/4 yesterday. Completely took over in the middle after half time, and that allowed us to control the game in other parts of the ground.
Yeah. I saw it about the same. And if he was tagging he was barely allright as well.
If GHS came in and played the same game about 50% of us would be wanting him back next week, and he'd be about a 50% chance of staying in.
Did a fantastic ground ball pick up and handball to Selwood though. Nearly resulted in a Danger goal. Was a real highlight.

Blicavs was my BOG yesterday, he seemed to be marking and spoiling everything that came his way, really good to see that he is in ripping form.

I had him right up there too Grimoz; just affected so many contests - its like having an extra half a player on the field with his epic running ability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back