Review Geelong Defeats Hawks by 23 points at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly after last week, and after the season teams are currently having, you absolutely cannot take any wins for granted. I am stoked we beat the Hawks, because players in, players out, doesn't matter, when we play those arrogant flogs they are always hard matches. There are going to be some big upsets over the next 10 weeks.

You make it sound like I don't want our players to be successful when I very much do. And while he had 4 clearances, and I was impressed with his 8 tackles, 22 touches but a disposal efficiency of 54% is hardly "killing it".

Only Esava was worse with the ball yesterday.
Reaching. Since when have we rated taggers on disposal efficiency. The DE is pretty stock standard for kelly and dangerfield.

McGovern is unlikely to respect a KPF who cant get dangerous he will just zone off and 3rd man up Hawkins.

I'd play Rohan on McGovern before i'd play Sav on him atm.

We won't play anyone on McGovern, last time l looked Rohan played fwd not defence. Don't think they'll send McGovern there, he'll get a medium defender imo.

Yes, Hendo is best 22 but you can't play a team of CHBs.

Abbott could be a best-22 ruckman, but is nowhere near being a best-22 CHF (and neither is Stanley, IMO). Henry, I don't think he has the size or the height to be a CHF - a third tall, perhaps, but he's battling to keep his spot in his natural position as it is.

My point was the reason to drop Sav is hes about the 35th best player on the list (output not potential) Fort and Buzza are the same so you may as well keep Sav if you do that. Abbott was BOG in the vfl yesterday and has kicked goals when rucking in the AFL. I understand it means Stanley loses maybe 20 % ruck time and I dont want that but we need pull the trigger for 3-4 weks and try it. Abbott cant prove himself anymore in the vfl than he has.Or as I said in pre season we play Henry as a forward where he has been good before (we have enough defenders especially when Hendo comes back). I dont want this to be like 2013 or 2016 when Hawkins back and Menzels groin were issues and we threw Walker and Hendo forward at 11.59pm without trying anything during the year.

Because Henderson is actually best 22 whereas the other two arent. I think Abbott could be so we may have to roll the dice there. I still think unless we shift HT again Henry to CHF is worth trying.

I think Abbott should come in his form is excellent, don't want another Hamling episode.
Might keep Sav in and run two rucks against Eagles height.

They do.

But one of them is blind so has zero potential. The other at least has some small potential.

I would play neither at the moment and move either Taylor or stanley forward.

You can't take Taylor out of defence if you're going to drop Sav, to dangerous for mine especially a tall Eagles forwardline.

Fair enough but why Fort before Abbott? Is Fort a better tall fwd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He's kicking more goals in the VFL than Abbott. Since we're playing Sav as a ruck/forward, Fort would be closer to a like-for-like replacement. If Hawkins gets suspended the pendulum would swing even further in Fort's favour.

Sav is still an issue...he is trying but his output is not there..he is literally only getting a game for structual reasons bc Rhys is rucking so well that any other alternative to Sav (Fort Abbott or Smith i don't think Buzza is the answer) is sub optimal bc it would force Rhys to spend more time forward instead of the ruck and we don't want to ruck Blicavs (which we would have to do if we put Taylor Henry or Henderson forward or Kreuger in). We need to make it a priority to bring in for next year a genuine KPF who is also a capable ruck (hence my discussion of Wright in the other thread) so Sav has some real competition for his spot because on form he's about the 35th best player on our list currently even though he has huge potential. Next week vs McGovern is probably not the right week to change the structure and put in a ruck instead of him at CHF but if he doesn't find form next week I'd give him a few weeks in the twos and try some other options because we don't want to get to a week before finals and not know if plan B can work.
I was disappointed yesterday with how many times he got to a contest but actually made no impact at all by mistiming his run or jump. Still super important to the team balance as you stated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's kicking more goals in the VFL than Abbott. Since we're playing Sav as a ruck/forward, Fort would be closer to a like-for-like replacement. If Hawkins gets suspended the pendulum would swing even further in Fort's favour.

Abbott kicks them too, only thing is Fort plays more as a forward in the twos with Smith there as well.
Abbott's been bog for weeks on end and should get selection before Fort.
Also Abbott has real pace for a big guy were as Fort would find the pace difficult.

You make it sound like I don't want our players to be successful when I very much do. And while he had 4 clearances, and I was impressed with his 8 tackles, 22 touches but a disposal efficiency of 54% is hardly "killing it".

Only Esava was worse with the ball yesterday.
Did you watch the game or did you just read the stats in the Sun? Guthrie was great yesterday and even his most harsh critics should acknowledge that.

Trying to play ruckman as forwards is dumb. No way abbott or fort come in to play there. Zero defensive pressure and zero ability when the ball hits the deck.

At least sav is ok when the ball hits the ground.
True but yesterday even that aspect was absent. Looked somewhat hampered ( injured?) for most.

Reaching. Since when have we rated taggers on disposal efficiency. The DE is pretty stock standard for kelly and dangerfield.
Danger was above 80% and Kelly above 70%, not sure what your point was.
And who was he tagging? Because Henderson had 33, and Worpel and O'Meara had 8 clearances each (we had Joel with 8 and Danger with 7). We don't play a midfield with a hard tag, and I most certainly wouldn't class him as a tagger. He is more defensively minded than Danger and Duncan but you are reaching hard with some of your comments.

Personally I would have Guthrie on a wing. But for whatever reason he seems to end up in the middle.

My point was the reason to drop Sav is hes about the 35th best player on the list (output not potential) Fort and Buzza are the same so you may as well keep Sav if you do that. Abbott was BOG in the vfl yesterday and has kicked goals when rucking in the AFL. I understand it means Stanley loses maybe 20 % ruck time and I dont want that but we need pull the trigger for 3-4 weks and try it. Abbott cant prove himself anymore in the vfl than he has.Or as I said in pre season we play Henry as a forward where he has been good before (we have enough defenders especially when Hendo comes back). I dont want this to be like 2013 or 2016 when Hawkins back and Menzels groin were issues and we threw Walker and Hendo forward at 11.59pm without trying anything during the year.

At this point, Esava is giving us nothing forward, and not a heap in the ruck, Abbott couldn't do any worse at either at the moment.

Also Guthrie is not in our first choice best midfield IMO. When we have more players fit he needs to go into defence (and one of our tall defenders may need to go forward if Sav keeps stinking it up) where he is decent on small forwards or get dropped.
I like Guthrie as a clearance mid. He is quick, elusive, and clever, low centre of gravity, and experienced. He could start there every week in my 22.

Did you watch the game or did you just read the stats in the Sun? Guthrie was great yesterday and even his most harsh critics should acknowledge that.

Guthrie was ok yesterday, stuck some good tackles but efficiency was low @54% and he's still not able to impact stoppages enough as a midfielder.

Danger was above 80% and Kelly above 70%, not sure what your point was.
And who was he tagging? Because Henderson had 33, and Worpel and O'Meara had 8 clearances each (we had Joel with 8 and Danger with 7). We don't play a midfield with a hard tag, and I most certainly wouldn't class him as a tagger. He is more defensively minded than Danger and Duncan but you are reaching hard with some of your comments.

Personally I would have Guthrie on a wing. But for whatever reason he seems to end up in the middle.

At this point, Esava is giving us nothing forward, and not a heap in the ruck, Abbott couldn't do any worse at either at the moment.
Sav is the future; we've been waiting for his return, we are not losing while he's building, why ruin his confidence? Unless CS is not happy with his attitude or progress, he should be persevered with. We have been crying out for continuity, and we know Abbott hardly offers any more despite his maturity. And as for Buzza, he sets us up to look like a gettable team. Sav provides a fear factor for the opposition. The others don't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back