Review Geelong Defeats Hawks by 23 points at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

First off. Ok win against an undermanned hawks. They had the momentum in the last until mcenvoy got injured and we were able to settle.

I thought Rohan was brilliant today. 4 goals from limited touches. More importantly he presented very well at times playing as a makeshift chf. There were times were 2 or 3 hawks were trying to mark the ball and he would be the only player from our team attacking the ball in the air. He is improving and you can tell he is in a good place and is enjoying his football. Maybe he is a late bloomer or just needed a fresh start.

Dalhaus was one of our best. Just continues to attack the ball and the man and brings the energy to every contest he hits. He ran himself ragged and was cooked at times.

Ablett is playing his role well and he seems to have come to terms with his limitations. His kicking skills are essential going into the forward 50.

Miers continues to develop. Was caught out for pace a few times. Always seems to kick to advantage when he has time. Other times he was a bit rushed. Worked hard as well.

I thought we were well beaten in the coaches box. I was shocked when at one stage we had Atkins and Guthrie in the midfield while Kelly was in the forward line. Just dumb coaching and reeks of arrogance.

Rata was beyond shocking today. So athletic but he is as dumb as a rock when it comes to footy iq. Imagine the outrage on this board if buzz dished up that sort of s**t.

We were cooked near the end so take the win and move on.

Sav is still an issue...he is trying but his output is not there..he is literally only getting a game for structual reasons bc Rhys is rucking so well that any other alternative to Sav (Fort Abbott or Smith i don't think Buzza is the answer) is sub optimal bc it would force Rhys to spend more time forward instead of the ruck and we don't want to ruck Blicavs (which we would have to do if we put Taylor Henry or Henderson forward or Kreuger in). We need to make it a priority to bring in for next year a genuine KPF who is also a capable ruck (hence my discussion of Wright in the other thread) so Sav has some real competition for his spot because on form he's about the 35th best player on our list currently even though he has huge potential. Next week vs McGovern is probably not the right week to change the structure and put in a ruck instead of him at CHF but if he doesn't find form next week I'd give him a few weeks in the twos and try some other options because we don't want to get to a week before finals and not know if plan B can work.

I'd be surprised if anyone was happy with that game. (Haven't read the thread yet)
4 points aside, it was a pretty bloody poor effort.

We were as flat as pancakes mostly.
Bring that against the Eagles and it's good night nurse.
Your opinion.
They didn't look flat at the game.
Just had enough in reserve to have their measure.
Only 12 players from last season's encounter were there today, and we lost Parfitt all the second half.
ANY win v Hawks is a beauty, they don't come easy.

For people suggesting Sav go out of the team (which isn't unreasonable - he's not done much this year) - do we have anyone who can play that forward role better? What I saw of Fort in the JLT was quite abysmal. Abbott looks okay in the ruck but as a forward? Smith isn't a forward. Personally, I think Stanley has been doing quite well as our ruck this season and it would seem counterproductive to shift him to a forward role he's failed at time and again in order to force Sav out of the team. Unfortunately, unless Buzza is playing well in the 2s or Fort/Abbott have shown some forward skills I'm unaware of, I'm just not certain we have the right options to drop Sav while not losing what Stanley's giving us around the ground.

I think it's time to give others their opportunity 6 touches just not good enough atm.
Nothing wrong with playing vfl to get the confidence up, afterall we're forcing others to prove their selection through playing good vfl first.
Abbott, Buzza or Fort if they're playing well deserve a shot at it.

First off. Ok win against an undermanned hawks. They had the momentum in the last until mcenvoy got injured and we were able to settle.

I thought Rohan was brilliant today. 4 goals from limited touches. More importantly he presented very well at times playing as a makeshift chf. There were times were 2 or 3 hawks were trying to mark the ball and he would be the only player from our team attacking the ball in the air. He is improving and you can tell he is in a good place and is enjoying his football. Maybe he is a late bloomer or just needed a fresh start.

Dalhaus was one of our best. Just continues to attack the ball and the man and brings the energy to every contest he hits. He ran himself ragged and was cooked at times.

Ablett is playing his role well and he seems to have come to terms with his limitations. His kicking skills are essential going into the forward 50.

Miers continues to develop. Was caught out for pace a few times. Always seems to kick to advantage when he has time. Other times he was a bit rushed. Worked hard as well.

I thought we were well beaten in the coaches box. I was shocked when at one stage we had Atkins and Guthrie in the midfield while Kelly was in the forward line. Just dumb coaching and reeks of arrogance.

Rata was beyond shocking today. So athletic but he is as dumb as a rock when it comes to footy iq. Imagine the outrage on this board if buzz dished up that sort of s**t.

We were cooked near the end so take the win and move on.
Having Atkins and Guthrie in the guts is refreshing, and I hope it continues. They both acquitted themselves well, allowing goals to GAJ, Danger, Kelly, and the pressure and tackling got better as the game continued.
Give Hawthorn some credit, they are a very competitive team any time they play us.

On the upside Rohan's pressure is fantastic and he is showing much more consistency than at Sydney. Pick 61 looks like a win. Dahlhaus is like Rooke he will never be spectular but his pressure and workrate lifts his teammates. Miers shows real smarts and Stewart is lifting all the time and Clark is just super classy. I thought our coaching wasn't great in patches I doubt Kelly is 100 % fit but playing him forward in large patches and Selwood on a wing and Guthrie and Atkins in the middle when they were getting a run on wasnt great and we let their KPFs drag Blitz and Taylor away as decoys and make room for their small forwards too much. But we fixed that at the times where it counted. We have a much better forward structure though and it allows us to maximise scores off turnovers...if we can keep Stanley fit and find a 2nd capable KPF i think we can go deep this year.

The ‘flip-flopping’ has generally been because we’ve had injuries and had to shuffle players around. This year we don’t.

Also Guthrie is not in our first choice best midfield IMO. When we have more players fit he needs to go into defence (and one of our tall defenders may need to go forward if Sav keeps stinking it up) where he is decent on small forwards or get dropped.

Added to the Sav thing is that we have heard the “continuity” thing for the last 7 years. At least it’s been the same fwd line for 5 weeks. Most weeks we are kicking a very decent score so surely we would want to keep working and refining on this seemingly winning structure.

I get that and theres a valid point but you cant play a key forward who keeps averaging 5-6 touches indefinitely if that form continues they will have to drop him eventually and the last thing we want is to use in finals something we haven't tried all year (like we did when we played Henderson forward in the 2016 finals) we need to work out what alternatives we have before then. We probably need to try Abbott or Fort forward (both of whom have played a fair bit forward in the vfl) swapping with Rhys in the ruck or move Taylor Henderson or Henry forward (all of whom have done it at stages before). It also wouldn't hurt Sav's confidence to have a few weeks in the 2s to find confidence and form either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your opinion.
They didn't look flat at the game.
Just had enough in reserve to have their measure.
Only 12 players from last season's encounter were there today, and we lost Parfitt all the second half.
ANY win v Hawks is a beauty, they don't come easy.
What we have is an even spread.
And I like it. But we lacked a spark today. There were times during the game where the foot should have been put down. Never happened.

In my opinion a 7 goal win was par after 1/4 time.

And teams do change Vdubs. Against this current Hawks mob wins can come easy.

Clark is really a horrible defensive player at this stage of his career.

Pretty damn impressive he has even made his way into our best 22 at all given he had no pre season as a first year player.

The upside we will get from this kid after 2-3 full pre seasons will be massive

Need esava against magovern next week

That’s exactly the match up that we need.

The worst key forward at positioning and reading the flight of the ball vs the competitions best defender at positioning and reading the flight of the ball

Last edited:
Some of Menegolas turnovers were extremely damaging. Unfortunately, it is becoming the norm at the moment.

I used to think that we were better off playing 21 than having Burberry in the team, as his poor play would actually swing momentum against us.

I am sort of feeling the same about menegola at the moment!

First of all kudos to Guthrie for a very solid first outing for the year - thank goodness he doesn’t linger here to see some of the biased BS dished up by clearly posters with negative agendas

Secondly a huge bouquet to Boris and how he’s got the forwardline functioning magnificently- great example was the Gaz checkside . Gaz had time due to two fantastic shepherds from Rohan and Dahlhaus - selfless acts like that win games
Loving what Boris brings and what Scarlett is doing with his misfits
Bring on the budgies next week :)

We'll see when esava is standing on his head

I like optimism I’m never one to put it down, but he has just been terrible this season. We can’t continue to carry a key forward who barely touches it and has kicked 1 goal in 5 matches.

He is becoming a liability down there.

He at least needs to kick his 1-2 goals and present well. He is no where near AFL standard atm

First of all kudos to Guthrie for a very solid first outing for the year - thank goodness he doesn’t linger here to see some of the biased BS dished up by clearly posters with negative agendas

Secondly a huge bouquet to Boris and how he’s got the forwardline functioning magnificently- great example was the Gaz checkside . Gaz had time due to two fantastic shepherds from Rohan and Dahlhaus - selfless acts like that win games
Loving what Boris brings and what Scarlett is doing with his misfits
Bring on the budgies next week :)

Don’t forget massive bouquet to Chris scott who is in charge of the overall plan. Enright and Scarlett just implement what he puts in place.

Also Guthrie is not in our first choice best midfield IMO. When we have more players fit he needs to go into defence (and one of our tall defenders may need to go forward if Sav keeps stinking it up) where he is decent on small forwards or get dropped.

How about Henderson as a second key forward??

Either that or we bring in a second ruck ti rotate forward with Stanley.

I don’t like in general how we played but upon reflection a lot of the result does probably come back to the reasoning that they have a forward fifty which matches up extremely well against our defensive six and can cause them huge headaches. Very similar to the small nimble essendon half.

They match up well against us when you look at their strengths, it strips back a lot of out key strengths we have.

They are probably a 6th-10th placed side, but against us they will get the absolute best out of themselves as they just match up very well in the front half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back