Review Geelong Defeats Hawks by 23 points at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Technically that's been true for four weeks out of five, but if Mumford hadn't gotten well and truly on top of him last week we'd have won that game by a few goals IMO.
Hmmm. Not sure Mumford won the game for them. A bit more involvement from Danger and Kelly and a bit more maturity from some younger players and we would have won. Stanley was number 15 in our list problems last week.

Sava is a level above all those named as a 2nd ruck, his centre work when Stanley is resting is very underrated
He doesn’t give up at all, he’s clearly a bit sore and just inexperienced, but he’s a big super athletic man that brings the ball to ground for our smalls to finish.

What i enjoy about our forward line is that prior to the game, the discussion was about Hawthorn nullifying our height and marking advantage by bringing the ball to the ground for their smalls, however, no one mentions that the Cats have an aerial advantage and a ground ball advantage in our forward line.

I was embarrassingly wrong about Mark O'Conner. And also about Scott and the coaching staffs decision to play him. He's been amazing and I actually feel safe when he has the ball or he's in a one on one.
He's a ripper! Gunna be around for a very long time you'd think.

He doesn’t give up at all, he’s clearly a bit sore and just inexperienced, but he’s a big super athletic man that brings the ball to ground for our smalls to finish.

What i enjoy about our forward line is that prior to the game, the discussion was about Hawthorn nullifying our height and marking advantage by bringing the ball to the ground for their smalls, however, no one mentions that the Cats have an aerial advantage and a ground ball advantage in our forward line.
It's why I dont mind him, he's in the contest. It's what we need and what is working.

I thought Kolo was superb on Wingard... Comfortably won that battle.. My only issue and it's just that he is slow going ball to foot.. So i don't overly love him running with the ball out of defense as it normally means a sml forward is closing.. But he is going really well, not sure he's been beaten all year

Also the balance of our side is absolutely better with only one of Harry or Hendo.. Clarko tried to exploit us with the smaller forwards and all rough ball going inside 50 and we stood up well to it.. If we had Hendo as well i think it would have been much different

Happy enough thought our pressure was good today, small forwards did very well but sav and hawk need to lift and defence didn't spread well enough cost us 4-5 easy goals to the hawks, Charlie will comeback and imagine Tuohy for Clark

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's entitlement. I keep saying it, but when you have the majority of a supporter base who jumped on board after they kept winning premierships, they keep expecting it and when it doesn't happen they look for something to blame it on.

They don't take losing well. It's the same with Richmond.

This is so true.
They simply cannot fathom they might not be good enough.
For me it was after watching Sissy Lee walk it out of bounds twice and not be penalised, fast forward a quarter or two and a Geelong player does it, though not nearly as obvious and the brown and yellow entitled mob scream blue murder.

They don,t even see the irony in that!

The media's role in this GAJ Instagram post-liking "story" (I use that term loosely) is resprehensible. A completely artificial outrage manufactured by the media, then reported on as if it the "issue" sprung up independently of them and they played no role in its genesis. Pathetic.

It's a shameless and transparent attempt to whip up outrage. The disingenuousness of their way the story is being reported is nauseating.

Funnily enough talking to a friend about this today.
If you go back to the original tweet big Izzy’s crack included Drunkards and Fornicators.
Pretty much covers this board I would have thought.

Not much outrage on that front.
Just dismissal as an outdated view by most

Clarks upside far outweighs Bews upside.

It seemed today that every spoil Blicavs made seemed to fall straight to a Hawks player.

But very happy with today. Last quarter I was worried about a repeat of last week, and thankfully we avoided that.

Joel, Gaz x 2 were immense. Stanley was never going to work defensively against McEvoy so I was very happy with how he worked forward to score goals to offset theirs.
Sav needs a break. Would think V WCE who have 2 capable rucks that we would bring Abbott in to make the contests, kick goals, and give backup V WCE. We are lucky Sav was against Roughead at times, because a better ruck today would have pulled him apart.

Miers has a strange kicking style. I noticed during the game his kicking style tends to keep the ball low. It meant he did kick it into the man on the mark once, but when it came off it hits our forwards on the chest and leaves defenders unable to get a hand on it.

Out: Parfitt, Esava and maybe a rest for a week for Clark.
In: Constable, Abbott and Narkle. Put CGuthrie in Clarks position.
FFS Guthrie stays in the middle.. leave him in this role and he’ll be more than serviceable.The constant flip flopping has messed with him long enough

I'd be surprised if anyone was happy with that game. (Haven't read the thread yet)
4 points aside, it was a pretty bloody poor effort.

We were as flat as pancakes mostly.
Bring that against the Eagles and it's good night nurse.

Hands must’ve got cold after the first quarter. Didn’t leave his pockets

Or sore, he had a bandage on his right hand visible in the second half. Must have decided a wall (or chair, or something hard) was better to hit than high-fiving a Hawk who may have come off the ground after being dragged.

But a really solid win today. Started nervously, but those two marks and goals in 30 second by Rohan just before 1/4 time were a magnificent steadier to help Geelong regroup after some arsy Hawk goals in the 1st Q. Gradually gained control in the middle two quarters and after the first goal of the last i was thinking here's a chance to put them away big time. I can't help but notice for the second time in two weeks, a poor kick from Menegola (a silly little chip of 15m just inside 50 when a long bomb would have been better) was intercepted, the Hawks swept down and got those two goals to make it 24 pts. Not sure if it's just coincidence but last week his miss from Ablett's feed out which could have put Geelong 5 goals up against the Giants seemed to change the game their way too. Has to play the percentages i think a bit more there.

The play by Rohan, Dahl and the likes of Atkins, Meirs and the newbies has really given Geelong some extra vim and vigor, and i think will stand us in good stead as some players filter back like Touhey in particular. Cam Guthrie today was pretty good, and importantly he never got pinged once for a HTB..so often he's like a T-Rex...gets caught but he simply cannot in any way get the ball free, in contrast to so many from other clubs who reef the ball out one way or another (such as the Gants last week) who despite being tacked well always had the ball whoof out by hook or crook...and obviously never by a throw somehow :p

I was quite stunned at how Sicily essentially called 'barley' with his walking over the line and getting away with neither being pinged for HTB or deliberately walking OOB, particularly when last season in Perth against the Weegles i think Zuthrie was given a free for deliberate OOB when slung over the line in a tackle! BUt Geelong did batten down the hatches a bit after that fluky goal from Henderson, and i reckon all the players were very tired in that last 10 minutes or so. Geelong held the Hawks goal-less after that and hung on well.

Just an aside too, and i might be rolling out an old chestnut, but when Goodes was booed it was considered a scandal and racist against him....if with Gazza the booing was about his mere like of that tweet by Folau, then one could argue that's religious vilification against him. Maybe it's just because the Dawks fans boo him because he's an Ablett and they have never got over losing his father in 1982, but for a magnificent superstar of the game that has always been an eminently fair, polite and upstanding person....to be booed like that does rankle abit with me. Yes he left Geelong in 2010 for an astonishing pay pack, twice what Geelong could offer, but i don't hold that against him at all, and i am truly loving him back at his home. We'll miss him big time when he hangs up the boots.

Clark stepped off the mark regardless and it was called touched. I heard that from the edge of my blow-up couch.

He hardly got benefit of the doubt. Given he pushed back it was doubtful.
How can he be deemed ‘off the mark’ when it was deemed play on. Can’t have it both ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It wasn't a perfect win, and the Hawks did have a real crack at times in an undermanned team, but we were just the better team across the park for the most part. I don't mind the club is winning a bit ugly at the moment, it's good they have improvement to make and form to build rather than peaking in round 5. A football season is marathon, not a sprint, and the club is on the right track at the moment. Anyone who just expects the side to dominate like supermen on every line, and criticise the side if they don't even when they win, are just idiots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back