Review Geelong Defeats Hawks by 23 points at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

And how do you know he will be the same ... I'm sorry but it's only fair but he deserves a chance.... If his playing good footy he deserves a chance and if he doesn't play well then he doesn't worth a go. But atm the moment he deserves a chance.
He deserves a chance if, and only if, there's any reason to think he'll be better than Sav at CHF and/or in the ruck.
There's no reason to think it about CHF, and there's no chance of him being any use whatever in the ruck.

I was also surprised with Atkins today. He showed he was more than a tackling forward when he played further up the ground.

And Miers, unlike others tends to back himself when close to goal which I'm a big fan of. Too many times we tend to overuse the ball in the forward half rather than taking the opportunity ... we're a little too unselfish.

Miers has that confidence to back himself and it'll hold him in good stead. He's a beauty.

A good forward knows that being a little selfish is in the best interest of the side

21-18 their way. With a few absolute howlers late to get them back into the game. How the f they can complain is beyond me.
It's entitlement. I keep saying it, but when you have the majority of a supporter base who jumped on board after they kept winning premierships, they keep expecting it and when it doesn't happen they look for something to blame it on.

They don't take losing well. It's the same with Richmond.

Holding the ball against Sicily (twice) not paid. Blicavs nearly kicked in the head, and no kicking in danger. Tiny push into the fence on Henderson, and given to him. Just a few of the decisions that went against us. Mayblooms need to just suck it up and move on

Last edited:
But, but... they lost? How does putting down the team that beat yours make your team seem good in any way? Haha.

Can only really echo what others have said here:

Blicavs, O'Connor, Kolo very good in defence. Henry took some good intercept marks - his best game for the season. Clark is a gun but could probably have a week off if we want to fit Tuohy back in.

Guthrie looked good. Offered some good linking play in the middle, tackled a lot. Kelly bounced back beautifully, as did Joel. His going back with the flight into an incoming McEvoy was the kind of inspirational effort we've come to expect and led directly to a goal at an important time.

I reckon we mark Stanley harshly. He's very good around the ground - nice to see him slot some goals and take some marks. He really puts in when the ball is in congestion. He does usually lose the hit-out count (though he's been up against Grundy, Gawn, Mumford and McEvoy - hardly mugs) but I think he makes up for that with other efforts. He's clear No. 1 out of our ruck stocks anyway.

Forward-line is compelling at the moment. Atkins rose after some quieter games - liked seeing him trusted in the middle and he looked adept and busy whilst there. Dahlhaus just provides excellent pressure and solid thinking. Miers could be a genuine star - his foot-skills, evasive skills, decision-making and hunger at the contest and around goal are all very, very good. As a playmaking half-forward/pocket he's the kind of player we've needed for years.

Rohan is proving a lot of people wrong. Still plenty of water to go under the bridge but I love the way he flies for marks and his ability to outbody an opponent. His kicking is class and, much as I loved Menz, you'd be hard-pressed not to see him as an upgrade on what's happened this year.

Dirty days for Tomahawk and Sav. I am tempted to say Sav could use a run in the 2s (or maybe even a rest, he looked knocked around a few times today) but he does play his part in our structure, he does chase and tackle hard, he does give Rhys a chop out in the ruck and I don't see anyone in the 2s who plays his position knocking the selection door down. Just needs to nail those goal opportunities - three times this year he could have had a goal or three and has ended up with donuts.

As for TV coverage: there was an Easter miracle! Brian Taylor started pronouncing Menegola's name correctly! Of course, he did go on to ruin the end of the match with lame, unprofessional blokey banter, getting stuck into Tim Watson constantly when a good caller would have focused on the fact that two teams that always play classics may be heading towards another epic finish.

There's still things to work on for us, obviously. Felt like we were smashed in the clearances at times and we still have a propensity to switch off on occasion but the signs are good. Nobody would have had us at 4-1 when looking at our fixture before the season. Big challenge next week - hopefully Hawkins isn't suspended because we need him and Sav (and Danger) to make McGovern accountable, otherwise he'll run his own show down there.

TL;DR - We beat Hawthorn! What better way to end a long weekend!
These 3 were excellent... nice observation. And Taylor was just vintage Taylor.... just a great defensive effort today.

The media's role in this GAJ Instagram post-liking "story" (I use that term loosely) is resprehensible. A completely artificial outrage manufactured by the media, then reported on as if it the "issue" sprung up independently of them and they played no role in its genesis. Pathetic.

It's a shameless and transparent attempt to whip up outrage. The disingenuousness of their way the story is being reported is nauseating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's entitlement. I keep saying it, but when you have the majority of a supporter base who jumped on board after they kept winning premierships, they keep expecting it and when it doesn't happen they look for something to blame it on.

They don't take losing well. It's the same with Richmond.
Just on that, read the first page of their autopsy thread and start cringing. Every post is an excuse.

What’s different this year is that we are collectively playing great team football.

Few players stand above the rest, and each and every week we aren’t becoming reliant upon the same 3-4 players; a common criticism of the team over the last few seasons.

This is the sort of football that wins flags.

At the minute all I’ve to say is f@@@ing GO CATS!!

Gosh I despise Hawks supporters and yet my best mate is so. Kills me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

He deserves a chance if, and only if, there's any reason to think he'll be better than Sav at CHF and/or in the ruck.
There's no reason to think it about CHF, and there's no chance of him being any use whatever in the ruck.
I like Sav. But all I'm saying Buzza deserves a chance... And it might be his only and last time in his career where it's worth a chance.

Home from the match. Always nice to stick it up those self entitled flogs. Particularly sitting in the MCC members where they are even more friggin self entitled...

Nice to see Selwood impose himself on the game in the third. His best footy is behind him but the guy just gives his all. Is making some uncharacteristic skill errors these days more and more but his value to us cannot be under appreciated.

Miers is just a little gun. You know that when he has ball in hand that he will generally make the right decision. I love that. Just a very smart footballer.

Rohan is doing what we all dearly wanted Menzel to do. That hard to matchup on medium forward with a bit of x factor and huge defensive ability. Just vital now to our ongoing success.

Kelly put last weeks quiet performance behind him to be the most influential player on the grounds in the first half. Just pay him what he wants.

O'Connor is looking more at home each week. He's a keeper. Knows to play within his limitations. He'll continue to improve. Becoming more offensively orientated when he has the ball is the next step. But happy for him to be a defender first and foremost for now.

Good first game back by Guthrie. He showed far better intent today. Hopefully that stays.

Ablett is a star. I may not agree with him on things outside of footy but who gives a s**t when he can entertain like he did today.

Thought Dahl was great in the first half particularly too. Faded a bit after that but was very good in our scoring chains. Good quick hands.

The negative for me is the ongoing problem in winning centre clearances. We were able to even it up in the third but we need to be far more competitive in this area early in the match. And be able to readjust when things aren't going our way.

Overall a good even effort. Not a great game by us but we showed periods of some very good footy.

not the best win but still a win

Miers looks a real find
O'Connor is looking pretty solid
Cam was good also

This is all I really want to say also.

O’Connor is proving us all silly. Should believe in the Irishman as he didn’t grow up playing AFL And is learning quickly.

MIERS WOW. I can’t believe his growth from last year. Works hard and I want the ball in his hands, he is very very clever. You can most certainly trust he will use it well. Quickly becoming a favourite of mine.

Guthrie good game, hope he keeps it up and shoving it up us.

Holding the ball against Sicily (twice) not paid. Blicavs nearly kicked in the head, and no kicking in the danger. Tiny push into the fence on Henderson, and given to him. Just a few of the decisions that went against us. Mayblooms need to just suck it up and move on
Clear mark by Clark not paid then HTB and a goal to the Dawks

Awesome win always feels good beating the Dawks!

Little Gaz sensational! and Rohan has been a fine pick up so far!

An honorable mention to Rhys Stanley too looks like he's lifted his game up to the next level this season been kicking some handy goals as well, just what you want to see from a big man.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back