Review Geelong Defeats Hawks by 23 points at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawkins ...dumb .. probably deserves a week for being dumb. Sounds like he has had a stressful week so perhaps one can understand him not being at his best

Sav... very unimpressed. He is now starting to get picked when I think it shows more about our list than his potential.

Rohan.. I doubt we could ask for more than he is giving us . Ablett too can one get more than today? I think he will continue to look better with more space on big grounds.

The kids seems to have plateaued

I think id give Blitz votes he really was influential when near the ball.

Not sure if we have the desire to really burn sides..or if its a conscience awareness to only use minimal effort with a 6 day break but we seemed to fold the deak chairs after we got 36 in front

Look i'll take a win against Haw everyday of the week but over all I think we won it at 3/4 speed against a side missing some of its players..or perhaps player that were their best.

Stanley is a better forward than Sav though. Yes, we'll give him time.

That was noticeable in the last quarter and Hawkins took himself off, that they pushed Stanley forward & kept Sav in the ruck around the ground.

They then swapped them when Sav was being beaten and we needed to do better to negate the ruck situation

I think people are wearing the rose-coloured glasses slightly on his 2018 form. He had 2 good games (West Coast, then Collingwood) - where he played primarily on-ball, I should point out. All the games he played as a CHF, he did struggle to find the ball.
Agree. Look potential he looks good but I'm sorry he needs a run backs in the 2s... If people think his playing good needs there eyes checked.

Really? I missed all of Dermie’s excitement about Geelong.
I tend to take anything complimentary from Dermie, about Geelong to be totally fake. I’m too cynical perhaps, still, I think he’s totally insincere.
On several occasions he called us well balanced in a way that was more complimentary than it sounds. He definitely rates us.

Guthrie played well. Nobody @ me.
22 touches, 11 contested, 4 clearances and game high 8 tackles.

Wouldn't mind seeing Atkins spend a little bit more time in the middle, his play as a mid got him on our list and he's an asset at stoppages with his tackling and pressure.
Yeah I like his little stints in the middle hopefully he has the fitness to keep it up

Love listening to the hawks supporters in the radio. Paraphrasing most comments: “if that’s the best the cats have then we’re not too worried”. They’re a different breed. Chris Lilley should add a Hawks supporter character to his new show “Lunatics”...perfect fit.

But, but... they lost? How does putting down the team that beat yours make your team seem good in any way? Haha.

Can only really echo what others have said here:

Blicavs, O'Connor, Kolo very good in defence. Henry took some good intercept marks - his best game for the season. Clark is a gun but could probably have a week off if we want to fit Tuohy back in.

Guthrie looked good. Offered some good linking play in the middle, tackled a lot. Kelly bounced back beautifully, as did Joel. His going back with the flight into an incoming McEvoy was the kind of inspirational effort we've come to expect and led directly to a goal at an important time.

I reckon we mark Stanley harshly. He's very good around the ground - nice to see him slot some goals and take some marks. He really puts in when the ball is in congestion. He does usually lose the hit-out count (though he's been up against Grundy, Gawn, Mumford and McEvoy - hardly mugs) but I think he makes up for that with other efforts. He's clear No. 1 out of our ruck stocks anyway.

Forward-line is compelling at the moment. Atkins rose after some quieter games - liked seeing him trusted in the middle and he looked adept and busy whilst there. Dahlhaus just provides excellent pressure and solid thinking. Miers could be a genuine star - his foot-skills, evasive skills, decision-making and hunger at the contest and around goal are all very, very good. As a playmaking half-forward/pocket he's the kind of player we've needed for years.

Rohan is proving a lot of people wrong. Still plenty of water to go under the bridge but I love the way he flies for marks and his ability to outbody an opponent. His kicking is class and, much as I loved Menz, you'd be hard-pressed not to see him as an upgrade on what's happened this year.

Dirty days for Tomahawk and Sav. I am tempted to say Sav could use a run in the 2s (or maybe even a rest, he looked knocked around a few times today) but he does play his part in our structure, he does chase and tackle hard, he does give Rhys a chop out in the ruck and I don't see anyone in the 2s who plays his position knocking the selection door down. Just needs to nail those goal opportunities - three times this year he could have had a goal or three and has ended up with donuts.

As for TV coverage: there was an Easter miracle! Brian Taylor started pronouncing Menegola's name correctly! Of course, he did go on to ruin the end of the match with lame, unprofessional blokey banter, getting stuck into Tim Watson constantly when a good caller would have focused on the fact that two teams that always play classics may be heading towards another epic finish.

There's still things to work on for us, obviously. Felt like we were smashed in the clearances at times and we still have a propensity to switch off on occasion but the signs are good. Nobody would have had us at 4-1 when looking at our fixture before the season. Big challenge next week - hopefully Hawkins isn't suspended because we need him and Sav (and Danger) to make McGovern accountable, otherwise he'll run his own show down there.

TL;DR - We beat Hawthorn! What better way to end a long weekend!

I love Esava but I'm sorry but he needs a run in the VFL... Come on to be honest he isn't what he is before that injury.... I'm not bagging him but he needs a run in the 2s to find some form...
Bring in Fort or Buzza or even Abbott and play Stanley CHF..
Sava is a level above all those named as a 2nd ruck, his centre work when Stanley is resting is very underrated

Good first up from Guthrie.

Agree, it's amazing what pressure for positions can do.

Still too passive in the midfield though, never really proactively looking to dig in to win the footy. Looks for an opponent to grab, whoever it is. It falls his way, he'll grab at it. Disposal scratchy at times also, not dangerous. Low efficiency in disposal.

As per usual, against red hot (good) midfields, Guthrie should not be there. For too much of today, Dangerfield was wasted in the forward line. When he went back into the midfield, our competitiveness increased exponentially. Guthrie sit, waits, watches too much for a mid.

Important win.

Ratugolea - I've not seen a forward of his size miss-time / miss-read the game like he does. Struggles to even get his hands to the ball in contests. VFL bound.

Dahlhaus & Rohan - Loving the competitiveness, our forward line looks totally different, much more dangerous and defensive.

Duncan - It's a shame he's so soft around the ball, would be a great player if he wasn't so scared of getting hurt. Squibbed a lot today.

Kelly & Dangerfield - BOG

It's amazing when we have players that are fit and know their abilities. His forward craft is excellent.

I saw him down Torquay last year, in the Magoo's. I was surprised how he held off defenders much bigger than him, often outmarking them.

Quality.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Forward craft is the perfect term for it. We don’t have a lot of it so the abundance he has is very useful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Esava but I'm sorry but he needs a run in the VFL... Come on to be honest he isn't what he is before that injury.... I'm not bagging him but he needs a run in the 2s to find some form...
Bring in Fort or Buzza or even Abbott and play Stanley CHF..
Structure is too important

Guthrie finally played with intensity. That's a big tick from me. He was really good.

Happy to be wrong.

The buy-in from the entire squad this season is really evident.

Look i'll take a win against Haw everyday of the week but over all I think we won it at 3/4 speed against a side missing some of its players..or perhaps player that were their best.

True, but Hawthorn had an extra player/rotation for the entire second half. The advantage of an extra rotation shouldn't be underestimated. It helped keep them in it.

Thought O'Connor was good and has been for the year. Didn't really rate him going into the year but he has surprised me.
Arrrggg!! Why would you be surprised? 21/2 years ago he had never played a game of
Aussie rules, did you think it was going to take NO time to develop?
He wasn’t just a hopeful get by Geelong there were 4 AFL clubs chasing his signature and
he chose Geelong.
I get so annoyed with supporters who put a line through a player like O’connor with no
consideration for their development circumstances.
I said at the end of 2017 that he will develop into a top player and I think I may be right.
Looking at the short time he has played our game, he is only going to get better!!
I really like the fact that he hasn’t really been beaten 1 on 1 at all in any game.

The buy-in from the entire squad this season is really evident.
I was also surprised with Atkins today. He showed he was more than a tackling forward when he played further up the ground.

And Miers, unlike others tends to back himself when close to goal which I'm a big fan of. Too many times we tend to overuse the ball in the forward half rather than taking the opportunity ... we're a little too unselfish.

Miers has that confidence to back himself and it'll hold him in good stead. He's a beauty.

Random thoughts

Very happy with the forward set up.
Rohan was fantastic with his 4 goals and also took a huge mark down the line at an important stage.
Gaz wowee he got me up and about with a huge game.
Kelly all class
Selwood fantastic tough captains game
Oconnor, blicavs, kolo all great and solid games from henry and taylor.
Clark looked tired may need a rest but still showed some great dash and kicking skill, perhaps he has a rest for tuohy in.
Esava also looked sore and struggled to get into the game, id like to see Abbott in to rotate with Stanley ruck/fwd.
Atkins got very busy in the 2nd half, great extraction and of course tough around the contest and huge tackles.
Miers sets up play very nicely from half back to inside 50 and is classy around goal setting up and kicking them.

Good win cats!

Forgot to add i liked Guthries game.
Big shame for parfitt, hope its a quick recovery.

Changes next week

Out - Parfitt, Clark, Ratugolea
In - Constable, Tuohy, Abbott
Got to agree with that. Ratugolea is out of sorts and needs to build his confidence in the 2nds. Clark solid but I think he could do with a rest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back