Review Geelong Defeats Hawks by 23 points at MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Sav needs a spell, bringing in Abbott to play as forward/ruck isn't optimal but its the best we have. Cant go into a game with 1 ruck as the new rules make ruck work far more important.

Clark also looks a bit tired.

Our depth is going to get tested soon cos having a best 22 of kids and old blokes isn't ideal.
I agree with Clark assessment.
Love the kid, but with Tuohy in the wings I suspect we might see a change there.

I thought he BOG Haha. The pressure was crazy, and he did it all day. Those handballs to Gaz and Miers too. Far out.
Not BOG for mine, but man he is a great addition to this team.
I love the way he tackles. He doesn't just grab them, he harasses them and tries to grab the ball at the same time.

With his form we might die wondering again, we threw Mumford away as well as Hamling.
Thought Ryan had interest from other clubs before he was resigned?
I think he did have a bit. If you really want another ruckman in though, Fort was a fair bit better than Abbott on the weekend.
Abbott was still good but is a bit of a giraffe when he's got the ball.

Going on another stat rant here so yeah sorry.
For those who look up the stats, what exactly do you get out of them?
Guthrie apparently had 54% efficiency.
That means he was directly turning it over half the time he had the ball. Did anyone see that? It just didn't happen.
Why bother? They're good for umpires to look up after the game to do their Brownlow votes and that's all.

Last edited:
I went to the game yesterday. Solid win. Miers is going to be a player, he just backs himself in and his creativity and composure really stood out to me. Blitz was again outstanding, it seems like only yesterday he was the whipping boy on here, he is now one of our most important players. Kolo continues to go from strength to strength and prove the critics wrong.

I have to put my hand up and say I got it wrong re Gary Rohan. I wasn't a fan of his signing but he has proved me wrong and the impact he has with ball in hand is incredible atm. But it's also what he's doing when he doesn't have possession of the footy which is really impressing me. Dahlhaus has also exceeded my expectations, he's quick, clean hands in close combined with his pressure make him a great addition to this team.

I thought Stanley was outstanding around the ground. He took a few marks and hit the scoreboard which was great to see. We just have to find a way to keep Tim Kelly. I don't think we will be able to, but we must throw the kitchen sink at this bloke and pay him massive overs if need be, he is an absolute star.

Sav is a big worry and for the first time this year, I'm starting to doubt his spot in the 22. But hey, whilst we keep winning, it's not a major issue at this point in time.

Last edited:
I reckon we'll see Henry being demoted before Clark, to be honest. Henry is a solid trier, but doesn't have the pure talent (and pace) of Jordan Clark.
Yes, as I said, I love his work.
But I have noticed his output is down and being a first year player, it's probable he will need a rest soon.
Henry hasn't hit his form from last year yet, so you might be right.

I reckon we'll see Henry being demoted before Clark, to be honest. Henry is a solid trier, but doesn't have the pure talent (and pace) of Jordan Clark.

Henry seemed to find a bit of touch yesterday and Clark looked a bit lost at times, reckon we might see Clark get a rest this week if Tuohy is right to go.

Guthrie had a good game relative to how he usually plays.

I certainly won't be creaming my pants over 22 touches @ 55% DE. His high tackles numbers was again due to being second to the ball.

Intensity was there so that's a start
When are any tackling numbers not due to that? If you can't get to the ball first, you stop the one that can.
Really, he can't win in some peoples' eyes. If he gets possessions, they are easy gets; if he tackles well, he's second to the ball.

When are any tackling numbers not due to that? If you can't get to the ball first, you stop the one that can.
Really, he can't win in some peoples' eyes. If he gets possessions, they are easy gets; if he tackles well, he's second to the ball.
In some ways this second-to-the-ball thing is a relic of times gone by when players were man-on-man and you literally did only tackle as a second option because you were beaten to the footy. In the modern game where players are set up in webs to tackle, it's a bit more of a furphy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's very hard to admit you are wrong, isn't it.
Guthrie wasn't best on ground but he was in the game. He didn't go missing, and in fact he contributed to the win.
No pleasing some.
What exactly did Guthrie do yesterday that should have people lining up to admit they were wrong about?
He was ok... not great... but one reasonable game doesnt undo peoples opinions of the bloke thats been built up over 140 games.
He still cant stick a tackle (3 of 8 were effective), and his centre clearance work was non existent. Prove me wrong!
His disposal efficiency was also poor.
Youre trying to to convince people that Guthrie is the better than he is, and thats not going to happen.
My measure on him yesterday was "intent"... nothing more, nothing less. The intent was there so I give him a pass. As an 8 year, 140 odd game veteran, hes going to need to get better in the next few weeks to keep hard working kids like Constable and Parfitt (when he returns from injury) out of the side.
No ones bagging him... theyre just not getting carried away (like some) by his first game back!
Its that simple really...

Quick one on Guthrie,will keep his spot on that effort first up,one half assed attack on the ball in the middle resulted in a Hawks goal,still risks going backwards,and the short lead in the back half needs to go it's a nothing but trouble play,thankfully they all ignored it,but it takes him out of the play.
Something to build on,Pass mark from me.

In some ways this second-to-the-ball thing is a relic of times gone by when players were man-on-man and you literally did only tackle as a second option because you were beaten to the footy. In the modern game where players are set up in webs to tackle, it's a bit more of a furphy.
Good point.
I liked Guthrie's first-up game yesterday.
Hard to believe he's copping criticism for intent, tackling and output.

I'd hope the media come out and criticize fans for vilifying someone because of their religion (which they won't)

Although I don't condone booing, people should be allowed to boo whoever they want whenever they want...

We don't need media (including cnck Gerard Whateley) deciding on behalf of all of us who and who isn't booable based on their own identity politics.

Guthrie is fine just needs to be played on the outside as a winger where he can use his pace and agility (and sometimes good disposal).

Don't play him on the ball and expect him to be going in and getting contested possessions or making tackles on bigger bodies.

Good point.
I liked Guthrie's first-up game yesterday.
Hard to believe he's copping criticism for intent, tackling and output.
Why?
Intent was there... thats been widely acknowledged. So why are you mentioning that as a criticism?
Execution re: tackles was poor... 3 of 8 were effective. Criticisms valid, but again, at least the intent was there.
Centre clearances.... he had 1. Not good enough.
Stoppage clearances... he had 3 (2 were handball receives) Average.
Some arent getting carried away by those numbers... whats hard to believe about that?

Guthrie is fine just needs to be played on the outside as a winger where he can use his pace and agility (and sometimes good disposal).

Don't play him on the ball and expect him to be going in and getting contested possessions or making tackles on bigger bodies.
Absolutley... hes an outside player at best. Not suited to the grunt work needed in the midfield

Although I don't condone booing, people should be allowed to boo whoever they want whenever they want...

We don't need media (including cnck Gerard Whateley) deciding on behalf of all of us who and who isn't booable based on their own identity politics.
Yeah I actually agree wholeheartedly.
I just find it funny how outrage on this sort of s**t only seems to go one way.

What exactly did Guthrie do yesterday that should have people lining up to admit they were wrong about?
He was ok... not great... but one reasonable game doesnt undo peoples opinions of the bloke thats been built up over 140 games.
He still cant stick a tackle (3 of 8 were effective), and his centre clearance work was non existent. Prove me wrong!
His disposal efficiency was also poor.
Youre trying to to convince people that Guthrie is the better than he is, and thats not going to happen.
My measure on him yesterday was "intent"... nothing more, nothing less. The intent was there so I give him a pass. As an 8 year, 140 odd game veteran, hes going to need to get better in the next few weeks to keep hard working kids like Constable and Parfitt (when lhe returns from injury) out of the side.
No ones bagging him... theyre just not getting carried away (like some) by his first game back!
Its that simple really...
Not going to go into a rant, but in my opinion there is some unwarranted bagging on here. Still.
I agree, and have already said, he wasn't BOG by any stretch, but for his first game of the year he absolutely should get a pass.
There are some unfair haters on here, and there are others, like you, who've acknowleged his efforts yesterday.
I also hope he keeps it up, because we need all our players to perform at their best.

Why?
Intent was there... thats been widely acknowledged. So why are you mentioning that as a criticism?
Execution re: tackles was poor... 3 of 8 were effective. Criticisms valid, but again, at least the intent was there.
Centre clearances.... he had 1. Not good enough.
Stoppage clearances... he had 3 (2 were handball receives) Average.
Some arent getting carried away by those numbers... whats hard to believe about that?
Keep saying it, you never know, someone might buy it sooner or later.

He's a bigger body than Selwood or Tom Mitchell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back