Non Lions Discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll never pass up an opportunity to have a dig at private schools ;)

Aside from that, I feel like Brettig has a point re: the growing focus on recruiting nice boys from good schools, good families, the right background (it's almost always a class thing), the right family connections and so on.

I think the wider point is that they aren't firing wildly in the dark, they're relying on what and who they know. Andrew McGrath (good player but that's not really what's being assessed half the time) was a recruiter's wet dream- Brighton Grammar, good family and all that s**t (zzzz). James Aish- family heritage and footy world connections, already played for Norwood (would that opportunity be afforded to just anyone?).

All the talk of blanket off-field issues never seems to account for the fact that players might come from very different backgrounds, have very different levels of opportunity available to them and so on.
You should listen to Conole and our head of welfare talking about visiting different kids and their families etc when doing home interviews.

Definitely not every kid from a privileged background.

As others have mentioned, almost every kid with talent in Victoria go to a private school because if they’re not from a wealthy family, they’re on scholarship.

During the private school footy season, very few recruiters go to NAB league games.

You have Victoria’s best year U16, U17 and U18 kids in the same team at Private schools, so a lot the teams have a stronger bottom 6 players in their best 18 than some NAB league teams have.

Hope they sort out that blocking nonsense. So what if Cox is an American basketballer? He shouldn’t be immune to the rules

Is there any sport in the world that is officiated as bad as afl? The umpires make it so difficult to watch any game, yet alone a neutral game

There really isn't. The game has always been more open to interpretation that just about any game but it's reached critical point. Umpiring is disgracefully bad to the point where it's having a regular and decisive influence on matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back