Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't take you long to play the man

I bet you are part of th "pro booing club"

Fair weather supporters FMD
I'd define a 'fair-weather supporter' as someone who doesn't buy a membership or attend any games until their club looks like winning a grand final or goes on some type of hot streak ...

As far as I can gather, this individual is a paying member and went to the game despite the club coming off a wooden spoon, but they left this game because it was clear the side hadn't turned up

Last edited:
Just quickly, don't have a go at supporters for leaving the game early. If the team won't put in an effort, why should someone not being paid to be there stick around? More to life than footy.

I fully respect the right of every supporter to make their own decision on whether to stay or leave, but personally I exercise that right by staying to the very end, however bitter. Why? Fwiw, for me there are 3 main reasons (4 if you include that I don’t have anything better to do with my life, but we won’t go there ...):

1) Even in the midst of the worst and most spiritless team performances, imo there are always individual players who are putting in real effort, so I stay to support and show respect for those efforts. On Sunday then, imo the likes of Fish, JSOS, Crippa, Walsh, Daisy and a few others had a real crack throughout, and I wouldn’t feel comfortable turning my back on those players tbh.

2) Beyond showing support, I also don’t leave because I think in doing so I’d be robbing myself of an opportunity to learn some valuable things about the coaches, our game plan (or lack there of), individual players, and the side as a whole.

3) A part of me feels that to deserve and fully experience the highs that the team and club give me, I’m almost morally obliged to fully experience and endure the lows.

Anyway, that’s just my personal take, and I appreciate that other supporters will see things differently.

No you highlighted that you don't want to waste your money and leave at half time

What a stupid comment

Just in case you think this is solely directed at you

IMHO, ANY supporter that leaves early, because of a pending loss, is a pathetic fair weather supporter
Calling people stupid or pathetic because they leave a game early is unwarranted. People have families and other priorities besides football. I took my daughter on Sunday and left at half time. She didn't want to stay. Is she pathetic? We ended up going past Lygon street and enjoyed a pizza and gelati. Turned out to be an enjoyable afternoon after a horror first half watching football. Perspective.

Calling people stupid or pathetic because they leave a game early is unwarranted. People have families and other priorities besides football. I took my daughter on Sunday and left at half time. She didn't want to stay. Is she pathetic? We ended up going past Lygon street and enjoyed a pizza and gelati. Turned out to be an enjoyable afternoon after a horror first half watching football. Perspective.

Not at all, at least there is some details as to your valid reason

Check the posters original comment and the intended innuendo

Some people are so emotionally invested they stay to the end.

Some people are so emotionally invested they leave early.

So be it.

Doesn't make one over the other better in the big game of life.

Everyone has an bumholio, some just trumpet to a different tune.
Problem with being an early leaver is that you potentially miss out on the greatest moments. Plenty left at half time in 1970 or when we were 48 points down against * in 2007 half way through the 2nd following on from a 100 point thrashing in the previous year.

Glad I stayed to see Crippas best goal ever and LOB's impressive gather outside 50 and goal (for the second week in a row) even if they were in junk time .

There's a feeling I get deep in my gut that Clarkson will be coaching the Blues next year, as much as I despise the filthy little sniper.

Dawks are at the crossroads at the moment, and it almost feels that his time there is done, and it'll be handed to someone fresh to take over the reigns into their next phase. Mitchell being the obvious appointment.

It's just a feeling I have that our Board will thank Bolts for nurturing the young group, Clarkson will take over the reigns to escalate them upwards. Our Board has already recruited one of the top list managers in Agresta...similar with Lloyd as the Head of Football, and Jack Russell as the leading Director of High Performance in the AFL. Clarkson would just be the next piece in the puzzle.

Edit: I have no doubt that we are already feeling him out, and have even less doubt he would be considering it
Yes that was Robert Plants original early lyric...of course he changed it to theres a feeling I get when I look to the Western oval
And then finally just look to the west............:moustache:

Not at all, at least there is some details as to your valid reason

Check the posters original comment and the intended innuendo
We all have opinions and football brings out alot of emotion to alot of us, (including me). But we should be able to agree to disagree and voice opinions without getting personal. We all pay our memberships and support the football club. Let's not eat our own like other teams.

Absolutely Agree.

Most of the article could be summarised "A team consisting mostly of 19 to 22 year old players doesn't have individual or team statistics anywhere near as good as the rest of the competition".

Whether Bolton is good enough will be clear enough to those around him, and shouldn't be based on media hysteria nor Win-Loss ratios during an unprecedented rebuild. Whether specific players are good enough will be clear enough to the club's coaching and list management teams, over the next 12,24,36,48 months.

Now here's a real SCOOP for the media.... Any decent analysis of Carlton's predicament has the root cause as Carlton's atrocious drafting up until 2015. i.e. the drafts that provide the bulk of best 22 players across all the other clubs. And if you looked at the statistics for many of those best 22 players of other clubs, many didn't have flattering statistics in their first 20-40 games, and many weren't regular players until the age of 22, because age and experience matters.

To Blues supporters....please.. Back the players. Back the club. Don't buy into the negativity, and let our players and club fulfill their undoubted potential.

Because without some patience and commitment from our club and our supporters, all this young talent eventually will seek opportunity elsewhere, and long-suffering Blues supporters will endure another 5 or 10 years sacking those at the club that the media buffoons points the bone at.
Brilliantly put SB:thumbsu::thumbsu:

We all have opinions and football brings out alot of emotion to alot of us, (including me). But we should be able to agree to disagree and voice opinions without getting personal. We all pay our memberships and support the football club. Let's not eat our own like other teams.

Rog, all respectful opinions are valid. Leaving a game early due to a valid reason, child sick, protecting your mental health, prior engagement, 5 minutes before the end to beat traffic as you are on a timeline etc are fair and reasonable, but to imply you are wasting money (after you have already paid) and or purely on the basis your side is losing and doesn't meet with your expectations is not what I would call valid comments from a supporter.

Just imagine it happening at home or your workplace, do you bail on your partner, child, work colleague if they are having a bad day.

I'd define a 'fair-weather supporter' as someone who doesn't buy a membership or attend any games until their club looks like winning a grand final or goes on some type of hot streak ...

As far as I can gather, this individual is a paying member and went to the game despite the club coming off a wooden spoon, but they left this game because it was clear the side hadn't turned up

If you think that is a fair and reasonable response, based on the initial post, that's your prerogative

Interesting how posters twist some of Judd's comments to suit their agendas, then claim it justifies so called mail/rumours

I suggest they rewatch the footage
bizarre actually......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

good to see a poster look at their contributions and commit to better..........:thumbsu:

Bolton needs to go . If we aren’t careful he will ruin a generation of elite talent. He is not right. Need to move him on. Sorry for the Kreuzer tip. I said I’d retire from BF. And I’m out. Good luck. Bolton no.

Rog, all respectful opinions are valid. Leaving a game early due to a valid reason, child sick, protecting your mental health, prior engagement, 5 minutes before the end to beat traffic as you are on a timeline etc are fair and reasonable, but to imply you are wasting money (after you have already paid) and or purely on the basis your side is losing and doesn't meet with your expectations is not what I would call valid comments from a supporter.

Just imagine it happening at home or your workplace, do you bail on your partner, child, work colleague if they are having a bad day.
Football is entertainment. We go to see our side play for enjoyment. When the game is no longer entertaining or enjoyable and the team plays like they did on Sunday then I have a choice if I should stay or leave. This isn't anyone else's concern. We should all have the right to choose without judgement. .

Football is entertainment. We go to see our side play for enjoyment. When the game is no longer entertaining or enjoyable and the team plays like they did on Sunday then I have a choice if I should stay or leave. This isn't anyone else's concern. We should all have the right to choose.

No one is stopping someone from leaving, but as you say, we are entitled to our opinion

As an example, unless I am at the game, I'm so emotionally invested, that I cannot physically listen to or watch a match on TV.

I have to tune out and I check the scores about once a quarter. It's a sickness.

Part of the reason is of course is that as soon as I tune in to a game the opposition kick a goal !!! Same in Test cricket - as soon as I tune in the Aussies lose a wicket.

Thank God it's you Andy, I thought it was all my doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back