• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jones Weitering Marchbank = best 22
Goddard = Insurance
Macreadie B.Silvagni = developing

McKay McGovern Curnow J.Silvagni = best 22
Kerr = developing

Kreuzer = best 22
Phillips Lobbe = insurance (need to be replaced)
DeKonning = developing

Casboult is 29yo ?
Thanks and goodbye.

You talk about developing and insurance. The problem with developing is that we have NFI what the end result will be.

I'd argue that Levi is better insurance at this point than all you mention.

I'm not saying he must be held, all I'm saying is that we should poise the pen before drawing that line through his name.

This was a very frustrating game on the re-watch. Literally every time we strangled the momentum and lead with a few goals in a row, there were some absolutely dubious free kicks paid to them and crucial ones missed to us, which allowed them to wrestle back momentum.

This happened at the end of the 2nd and 3rd quarters. We were never allowed to maintain our lead fairly, at any stage, which is really disappointing.

You talk about developing and insurance. The problem with developing is that we have no idea what the end result will be.

I'd argue that Levi is better insurance at this point than all you mention.

I'm not saying he must be held, all I'm saying is that we should poise the pen before drawing that line through his name.

By that logic you would never attend the draft ...

You have Goddard at 22yo.
Then you have Macreadie developing.
Then you have B.Silvagni developing.
Casboult is 29yo ? , time to cut the string at seasons end.

I don't mind Casboult playing in the back-line for the Northern Blues and employed as an 'in case of emergency'

We do though have to get games into Macreadie, but we just can't seem to keep him on the park for an extended stay.
BSilvagni is doing OK, but will take some time to develop. He's certainly not afraid to mix it up on the field.

I'd be OK to carry Casboult for another year given the above reasons.

That is now the standard that we need to play to week in, week out.

Not just doing it cause we were embarrassed the week before and smashed by all and sundry.

I'm still sceptical that we can do it consistently enough, we are definately good enough and capable of keeping up that effort week on week.

This was a very frustrating game on the re-watch. Literally every time we strangled the momentum and lead with a few goals in a row, there were some absolutely dubious free kicks paid to them and crucial ones missed to us, which allowed them to wrestle back momentum.

This happened at the end of the 2nd and 3rd quarters. We were never allowed to maintain our lead fairly, at any stage, which is really disappointing.

Internally they must see it like so many externally.

Every media comment, every time we get shafted, the close games, it's all building up to the point of explosion.

It is creating an us vs all of them mentality.

They don't realise (or maybe they do) that they are creating a beast within, a beast that when it all lines up, will be unstoppable, will be mad, will be crazy mofos.

Gather around my loved ones, absorb the pain, we are on the cusp of something magical.

The Carlton Football Club will be great again.

We will be feared by all.

Had some time to de-stress and reflect. Nearly lost my voice yelling at that group of neon green jokers.

We played so well for about 3 and a half quarters. The last ten minutes was where it was won unfortunately.

Positives though:

Patrick Cripps ~should~ be leading the Brownlow by at least five votes. He is a machine. If that goal went through to put us 17 up, we would have erected a statue out the front of Princes Park there and then.

JSOS absolutely fought tooth and nail, he is such a smart and committed footballer.

Marchy played the best game of his career. That spoil. Wow.

Despite conceding a half dozen goals, I thought Plowman played his best game for the year.

Fish, Gibbo, Setters, Dow and Cunners all stood up.

Charlie looks like he's starting to find form again.

The Giants looked trash yesterday, if we keep up the effort, we can push them.

Had some time to de-stress and reflect. Nearly lost my voice yelling at that group of neon green jokers.

We played so well for about 3 and a half quarters. The last ten minutes was where it was won unfortunately.

Positives though:

Patrick Cripps ~should~ be leading the Brownlow by at least five votes. He is a machine. If that goal went through to put us 17 up, we would have erected a statue out the front of Princes Park there and then.

JSOS absolutely fought tooth and nail, he is such a smart and committed footballer.

Despite conceding a half dozen goals, I thought Plowman played his best game for the year.

This is what gets overlooked with Plowman a lot, he is being asked to do really tough jobs each week on some high quality players and yet people seem to go ballistic if he doesn't win every contest.

This is what gets overlooked with Plowman a lot, he is being asked to do really tough jobs each week on some high quality players and yet people seem to go ballistic if he doesn't win every contest.

It shouldn't get overlooked because it's bleeding obvious.

It's been some time I've 'felt' for Plowman being given all the odd match-ups.
It looks as bad when he gets beat one on one, but that may have more to do with the players he's on and for others not dropping back to support.

You have Goddard at 22yo.
Then you have Macreadie developing.
Then you have B.Silvagni developing.
Casboult is 29yo ? , time to cut the string at seasons end.

Casboult is a depth player and has shown his value with Curnow, McGovern and Jones being unavailable. I would think the club didn't see him playing much AFL this year if the injury god were kind this year. But it shows we need a bloke like this for another year or 2 to fill wholes when required.

Positives though:

Unfortunately the Giants looking like trash isn't a good sign for us. Look at our response after he North game, I expect them to come out firing. Be a good test to see how we follow up the pies game/attitutde

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We got killed towards the end in the middle yeah.

But it felt like they went into their shells and Bolton had them throw a lot of numbers back. We tried to save the game rather than win it. Our defenders were in a hopeless situation. Barrage of footy inside 50 and then when they did win the footy back they had limited options to kick to. There were a number of times where I saw groups of Collingwood players free outside their 50 or near the middle because we had so many numbers in defence. When we kicked to McKay, Curnow or whoever if they didn’t mark it there were no numbers with them to crumb the ball. If we did win the footy in that area there was then next to nothing further up the field.

Seemed like poor coaching or players scared of failing.

The umpiring was terrible yeah, but regardless we were losing that game. You’re not going to hold off a top side like that when they go inside 50 so often late in the game.

The new runner rule is good for the game but shocking for a side in our predicament

Casboult is a depth player and has shown his value with Curnow, McGovern and Jones being unavailable. I would think the club didn't see him playing much AFL this year if the injury god were kind this year. But it shows we need a bloke like this for another year or 2 to fill wholes when required.

There is no need for him going forward.
Our young starting 22 players in those positions will only get stronger and better.
As expressed above, we also have development and insurance in those positions.
Use the list spot to address our needs.

There is no need for him going forward.
Our young starting 22 players in those positions will only get stronger and better.
As expressed above, we also have development and insurance in those positions.
Use the list spot to address our needs.

Club could very well rookie him rather than take a senior list spot. Shown much more at AFL than Goddard has in his 4-5 years on an AFL list.

OMG, tuning in Monday morning to 54 page of thread is hard work.
A few comments:
Very frustrated, but very proud of the response and very confident of our future.
For all the people screaming drop Murphy. Take a look at his effort, was in the mix of best players. Enough said.
Was very happy to see Charlie up and about, starting to find touch.
Great pressure game from Gibbons, laid some great tackles for a small mid.
Marchbank finding form. Great Intercept marking.
McGov gives us another X Factor.
But Kruezer & Cripps, so important.
I know alot of Collingwood supporters, were very nervous at the game.
I personally am happy with Bolton and the team. Did very well against a team with heaps of depth and the best ruckman. The Umpires DID NOT help. I know frees don't have to be even. I just hate, hate, hate, when they miss obvious ones that lead directly to opposition goals.
Was very proud, that even while not getting the rub of the green, fought it out.

Club could very well rookie him rather than take a senior list spot. Shown much more at AFL than Goddard has in his 4-5 years on an AFL list.

As a 10 year veteran you would expect a player to have more exposure than a 22yo developing key defender.
Goddard is the insurance at this stage with Macreadie and Silvagni developing.
Casboult is a proven flawed footballer, prudent list management should see him farewelled.

I know being at 1 win and 7 losses is not good.
But, If we can play at this standard consistently, I think we can WIN 4 of the next 5 games !!
Then regroup with the BYE.

These are the games that scare me, the winnable games. We played how we wanted to against the dogs, but have failed against the GC, Hawks and North. GC we should have won easily (thought we controlled the game but failed to score) and then lost it with less than a minute to go. Hawks we s**t the bed after half time and north we didn't turn up.

These winnable games, surely we have to start winning them. Would love a winning streak haha

As a 10 year veteran you would expect a player to have more exposure than a 22yo developing key defender.
Goddard is the insurance at this stage with Macreadie and Silvagni developing.
Casboult is a proven flawed footballer, prudent list management should see him farewelled.

Disagree, Levi is the insurance as we've seen by the fact that he is actually getting games and, at this stage, apparently he is seen as a much better policy than Goddard. It matters not that he is a ten year veteran or a two year rookie and this flawed footballer has escaped the cut (against the wishes of many on here) for the last 3 plus years.

At the end of this season some of these players may have caught, or overtaken, him or we may even bring in player/s that have more upside. I'd propose that it is only then that his place on our list will be assessed by far more knowledgeable people than those on this board.

I think it's a bit early in the season to be composing epitaphs for anyone on our list.

Disagree, Levi is the insurance as we've seen by the fact that he is actually getting games and, at this stage, apparently he is seen as a much better policy than Goddard. It matters not that he is a ten year veteran or a two year rookie and this flawed footballer has escaped the cut (against the wishes of many on here) for the last 3 plus years.

At the end of this season some of these players may have caught, or overtaken, him or we may even bring in player/s that have more upside. I'd propose that it is only then that his place on our list will be assessed by far more knowledgeable people than those on this board.

I think it's a bit early in the season to be composing epitaphs for anyone on our list.

Levi has shown now he can play back, he obviously can play forward and he is a reasonable second ruck - he offers much more in terms of insurance than the likes of Goddard.

Back