MRP / Trib. 2019 MRP Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Mumford's knee/thigh to Murph's ribs was 100% intentional, it wasn't a footy action, it was a deliberate strike to the body, club should have taken a much greater response.

Epitomises the appeasement strategy the Club has rolled out the past 10 years. "Oh yes all mighty AFL, we are so sorry for existing, please punish us in your absolute discretion"

Not far off. If that was not unduly rough play at very least, nothing is. Thanks Michael Christian for being absolutely useless at your job.
Thanks for suspending Setterfield for stupid tackle also. Pathetic. I accepted that then but in light of Mumford nothing to answer ******* joke of a person doing that job.

No, not sticks and stones. It's an accusation of cheating against an official of the game.
It’s in the heat of the moment, adrenaline and emotions running through the veins. I know I did and said things on the footy field I would never say off it. I’ve heard way worse (directed at umps on the field) that has been simply shrugged off due to ‘the moment’.
I agree with you outside of this though.

Interesting explanation. There was a moment in the collingwood game relatively late where the 30 second timer after a goal was up, and collingwood had less than 4 players in the centre square - umpires allowed them extra time to get the player into the contest. Whilst it wouldn't be a free kick to Carlton - allowing them extra time when they werent organised enough themselves put us at a disadvantage late in a close game.

The issue with umpires giving a warning or 'assistance' to teams to avoid breaching a rule is that you most definitely add the prospect for an unfair advantage to one team - whether or not that is 'cheating' is largely irrelevant to the fact that a team may be benefiting from it more than the other.

It's ridiculous that one team can get away with breaching the 6-6-6 rule (or any) because an umpire decides to first give them 'notice', yet 5 minutes later the other team could be given an official warning/free kick for breaching the rule because the umpires didn't afford them the same courtesy. It's either the remit of an umpire to prevent a team breaching the rule, or it isn't. If it is, then there is no need for official 'warnings' or further penalty.

It's the same with field umpires giving warnings to players during play - "I've paid the free, let him go. LET HIM GO. Don't lose it. Back away. BACK AWAY" or "Back one meter, I said back a meter, hold there, don't go any closer, HOLD THERE".

Then two minutes later as soon as a player touches the opposition "I'm reversing it", or runs slightly over the line "THATS 50" etc.

Cheating? Probably not. Amateurish? Need I answer...

That's pretty fair. Was worried they'd try and make an example out of him. Can live with that. Gather the coffers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably about right. AFL need to stamp it out. Didn't deserve anything more than a fine though.

Honestly think the umpires shouldn't be instructing players on the 6-6-6 rule, you've got bloody 17 teammates out there that should be telling you you're in the wrong spot.

Probably about right. AFL need to stamp it out. Didn't deserve anything more than a fine though.

Honestly think the umpires shouldn't be instructing players on the 6-6-6 rule, you've got bloody 17 teammates out there that should be telling you you're in the wrong spot.
Don't understand why umpires in AFL get really 'coachy'. You make an error in an ODI cricket game -> have 3 men behind square or too few inside the inner ring and you get penalised. Umps don't stop the play and let you know you've ****ed up your field placements. Just isn't right how AFL umpires are (i guess) instructed to coach players instead of paying frees when rules are being broken.

He copped his whack but I have to say, why umpires take it upon themselves to teach the players the rules mid-game is beyond me - has to stop.
Umpire: "Steve, just be careful, if you are going to leave the ball like that and it swings into your pads I may well have to give you out, ok?"

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/thomas-hit-with-heavy-fine-for-umpire-abuse-20190521-p51prw.html

The incident occurred following a GWS goal. Umpire Barlow had told the Giants that they had an extra man inside their forward 50 ahead of the next centre bounce, providing the GWS players with a warning, as umpires are supposed to do in line with the new 6-6-6 starting positions introduced this year.
Thomas lashed out at Barlow when he heard the instructions: "You can't tell them that. You can't tell them that dickhead," Thomas said in an agreed statement of facts."You're a f------ cheat," Thomas continued.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as an aside, on Sam McClure's "Time On" show tonight, he said the AFL have sent a "Please Explain" to Carlton for the Cheer Squad calling the umpires "w***ers" in the Collingwood game in Round 8 two weeks ago. Gees, the AFL are really after us for some reason. This is the game where Collingwood had 24 free kicks to our 8 for the game.:mad:

Pretty sure of two things.

One. Its a cheap price to pay for the club albeit inadvertently saying this ridiculous meddling in the game crap by officials has to stop. Good on ya Daisy.
Two. The tirbunal deep down agreed with Thomas and can see that the umpire did the wrong thing, otherwise he would be missing weeks.

Just as an aside, on Sam McClure's "Time On" show tonight, he said the AFL have sent a "Please Explain" to Carlton for the Cheer Squad calling the umpires "w***ers" in the Collingwood game in Round 8 two weeks ago. Gees, the AFL are really after us for some reason. This is the game where Collingwood had 24 free kicks to our 8 for the game.:mad:

Ummm, 28-8

Mumford's knee/thigh to Murph's ribs was 100% intentional, it wasn't a footy action, it was a deliberate strike to the body, club should have taken a much greater response.

Epitomises the appeasement strategy the Club has rolled out the past 10 years. "Oh yes all mighty AFL, we are so sorry for existing, please punish us in your absolute discretion"

I disagree, that was a calculated response from the club.

Start hardening the * up, grow some balls and be much harder at the football and the man

Remove this Banner Ad

Back