Review Positives and Negatives - Raining Premiers vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s annoying that Simpson is so adamant that tackles don’t mean much. Said “it’s not a big stat for us” in his presser.

It’s pretty bloody obvious that we wouldn’t have won that game in those conditions if we only laid our usual 50-60 tackles.

We’re a better side when our mids and forwards are trying to win the ball back
Perhaps tackles on its own isn't generally an accurate statistic of pressure or performance (we can only dream of the statistics that clubs can access). Though today, probably helped by the conditions, it clearly was.

Similar reason as to why some coaches don't look at contested possessions as a critical indicator; there are so many aspects to the contest and facets to the stat itself that we don't see.

It’s annoying that Simpson is so adamant that tackles don’t mean much. Said “it’s not a big stat for us” in his presser.

It’s pretty bloody obvious that we wouldn’t have won that game in those conditions if we only laid our usual 50-60 tackles.

We’re a better side when our mids and forwards are trying to win the ball back

That is a strange thing for a coach to say. Very strange.

Gaff is a running machine. Just keeps going and going and going. I get the feeling we have found the balance with Gaff & Sheed in the side- each are working to their strengths, rather than counteracting each other. Gaff is going all the hard running backward of centre, whereas Sheed is getting the job done forward.

I said it in a review match a few weeks ago, but darling is such a barometer for us now. When he’s up and about, we tend to be as well. Best game for the year. Despite his up and down form, he’s still on track for 40+ again. Theres always the frustration, but there’s more than the goals with Jack. It’s the leading, the pressure, the subtle blocks on defenders to give JK juuust enough space to take a mark without giving a free away. His ruckwork as well has been decent as well given his size.

Shuey. All class. That clearance to set up Darling in the last was a thing of beauty. Just a clutch clearance to win.

Rioli got through another game, getting those minutes into him is pleasing. Fastest recorded time tonight at 32.4kph- that’s a really good sign.

Redden & Yeo, 15 tackles each but I reckon there were a few more laid that weren’t registered, or didn’t quite meet the tackle criteria. Setting the standard about getting our hands dirty. We all did, actually, bar 30 minutes in the 2nd quarter that I hope we review in FULL detail. I suspect it’s all focus with us- we just drop off 5-10% and that’s just enough for any side now to take advantage.

Still, given the inside 50 count in that quarter, we did hold up ok. It really should have been a bigger margin at the break.

Can’t wait to watch the game tomorrow without the emotion. Just really proud. We still haven’t brought a 4 quarter game yet this year, but we are getting closer each week.

Shuey's last quarter reminded me of Ben Cousins in his prime.
He basically just thought if we're going to win this, I'm going to have to go Super Saiyan and carry the team across the line.
His centre clearances were next level, and even if we lost it he'd make sure there was no easy ball out.
Amazing to see, hopefully he can do it more consistently this year.

Before this year the most tackles Yeo had in a match was 12.
Last two weeks he's gone 16 and 15, with 12 a few weeks before that.
Tackling's never been our strength, but the fact he's doing it at such a high level while still being the offensive force that we know is huge.
He's tackled his way back into form.

Great to get another comeback win to keep that belief alive.

Last edited:
I see your point but I can also see it from Simmo's perspective.

We play possession football. If we are tackling a lot it means the opposition has the ball a lot. Add to that tackles often simply lead to stoppages (which we also have issues with) and I can see why he is more interested in pressure on the ball carrier to affect the kick and win the ball back that way.

The flipside is that the best way to pressure the ball carrier is to try and tackle them. If teams work out that you aren't going to commit to a tackle, you're just trying to make them panic, they won't panic.

I’m not on board with the walker hate, seems an ok bloke, not sure why despised so much.

How good was riolis goal? I must record the match so I can watch it again

Nelson was ok, pretty tough match to be thrown into, and we were for large parts under siege, Sheppard wasn’t always the elite A grade gun defender he is now, took him a while to attain godlike status, maybe Nelson one day could be half the player Shepard is. Would be very handy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont know if it has been mentioned but Gaff stood under a really high ball and backed into a charging Tex and got cleaned up.

I thought you can get 30+ every week but those acts will get the respect back from the AFL world.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dont know if it has been mentioned but Gaff stood under a really high ball and backed into a charging Tex and got cleaned up.

I thought you can get 30+ every week but those acts will get the respect back from the AFL world.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
He got up after that.

Gaff has never been soft, he's always been willing to put his body on the line. He knew he was gonna cop a heavy hit when Jonas tried to kill him in 2016.

He also plays most weeks through minor injuries and niggles as well.

I’m not on board with the walker hate, seems an ok bloke, not sure why despised so much.
Because he isn't a good captain. Went missing in the 2017 grand final and hasn't really reappeared since.

Handled himself really poorly both before and after the grand final, especially when the Lever trade was going down. When his team is down for the count he goes down with them, he doesn't stand up and fly the flag like Hurn does.

One thing you can set your watch to each week is that Bunga will leave the field with his head held high after a solid, dependable outing. Walker just doesn't do that. Hasn't torn a game apart and owned it since 2017.

Because he isn't a good captain. Went missing in the 2017 grand final and hasn't really reappeared since.

Handled himself really poorly both before and after the grand final, especially when the Lever trade was going down. When his team is down for the count he goes down with them, he doesn't stand up and fly the flag like Hurn does.

One thing you can set your watch to each week is that Bunga will leave the field with his head held high after a solid, dependable outing. Walker just doesn't do that. Hasn't torn a game apart and owned it since 2017.
You must have forgotton our last encounter with Adelaide then. He was the catalyst that brought Adelaide back from no where and won them the game last year.

You must have forgotton our last encounter with Adelaide then. He was the catalyst that brought Adelaide back from no where and won them the game last year.
Hasn't torn a game apart and owned it since 2017.

Apart from that one game I forgot about because it doesn't end favourably for my team

Sheed's 11 clearances were all from stoppages. Would like to see how many CBD's he attended. 11 stoppage clearances is huge as well.

Certainly 4 disposals forthegame and 1 after halftime.....perspective try getting some
We play Australian Rules Football, not Australian Fantasy football. Go and read the Crow tears about how useless their small/medium forwards were tonight.

Certainly 4 disposals forthegame and 1 after halftime.....perspective try getting some

One of our best ever defenders averaged 10 disposals, 3 marks, and less than 2 tackles and 2 rebound 50s a game.

Stats don't mean everything.

One of our best ever defenders averaged 10 disposals, 3 marks, and less than 2 tackles and 2 rebound 50s a game.

Stats don't mean everything.

Betts was a non factor. Walker was a non factor. Milera aside, I couldn’t tell you who played in their forwardline tonight. Backs held up extremely well outside of the quarter they had to deal with 24-5 inside 50s.

Edit: Betts kicked two goals?!? In what world? I remember the easy one from a deep stoppage in the third, that’s about all I saw of him all day though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back