Review Positives and Negatives - Raining Premiers vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

People really see what they want to see. Nelson put in a very serviceable shift.

plus it was Nelson first game for 3 weeks which probably explains if he looked a little shaky at times ..He wasn`t disgraced and just tried to play his role , not sure where he stands in the team maybe wce are just taking him to the shops ..

+ loved Yeo. Give that guy a giant medal and loads of women to produce heirs. Long may he reign.
+ Thought our rookies to stop-gap did well enough against a tough and dangerous side: at home to boot
+ Kennedy: I can't believe people were wanting to rub him out a while back. Humble pie for them I suppose
+ Darling: thought his former glory came shining through at some key points, hopefully his confidence builds.
+ Sheed didn't appear on screen every 2 seconds but his stats and key point game play suggest he was one of the stalwarts of the day
+ I actually thought the umpiring was good overall. They let the game run without stopping it literally every second as they so often do these days
+ The commentary team on Fox was actually good. I enjoyed it.
+ Allen's goal. He cops a fair bit of flack I've seen because he's inexperienced and makes some silly errors, he's young as hell and shows great promise.
+ Rioli's goal
+ Our grit to get through a tough game against a tough side: they didn't give up and I'll admit I was close to after the 2nd quarter. As my dad has always said, you should support your side through the tough stuff: don't be a bandwagon turd.

~ I thought Vardy's rucking was better, but far from amazing, he was better today

- I know I know, we won, but I still think we were too tall. Wet ball is a nightmare for talls. Still, I guess I should eat that comment considering we won and at times, talls were the way to goals.
- A small quibble: Cripps (my favourite player) had some lackluster moments. When he came alive, he was deadly, would like to have seen more of him today
- It has to be said, that 2nd quarter had me yelling at my laptop while I streamed here in Ukraine. My neighbours now know all the bad words in English coupled with certain names (though they hear it every week).
- A lack of communication between some big jumpers needs to be hashed out: sometimes this affects our marking at key intervals in the game where two of our players go up and clash when the talking should be better. I understand it's really difficult to avoid though.
- I felt that sometimes our play was too predictable. Fair play to Adelaide, they marked up when we had a goal square kickout, but I felt it was always pulled right and I saw players not leading forward for Hurn to kick to. This put that little bit more pressure on us in our back line, especially in the 2nd quarter.
- We need to do more running play with handballs. When we ran it, we performed exceptionally well. I know we're a tall side, but still, run that ball and handpass it up. I saw Adelaide's brilliant passages of play and they did exactly that. Reminded me of the 2006 side. I personally think we need more of that.
- Petch seems a bit flat after a great start to the season. He hasn't had a real huge run. I wonder if it's because he's a target now that everyone knows how damn fast he is.

My .020 cents.

Darling was immense just like most of our other senior players when it mattered. I liked him contesting the Ruck in the forward 50 he made a big difference there the times he did.

Despite getting nearly 50 hitouts Vardy is still a liability, bloke just can't take a mark when needed. Still he'll keep his spot as long as Hickey is sidelined.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Darling was immense just like most of our other senior players when it mattered. I liked him contesting the Ruck in the forward 50 he made a big difference there the times he did.

Despite getting nearly 50 hitouts Vardy is still a liability, bloke just can't take a mark when needed. Still he'll keep his spot as long as Hickey is sidelined.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

NN return can't happen soon enough! Thank god he's coming back!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6daf1dbe1d3df3d154bec6f00c4fd663.jpg

Midfield were immense, especially given we effectively played without one for a quarter. Just the 47 pressure acts for Yeo.

The past three game Yeo has gone into beast mode when we dont have the ball. Crunching tackles, chasing and pressure pressure and more pressure.

Feel he is now reaching close to top fitness after a slow preseason due to that toe operation.

When its all said and done, Elliot Yeo could well be sitting right alongside Matera, Judd and Cousins as our greatest ever mids. The dude is in straight up beast mode right now, headin for a 3rd straight B&F and dragging this excellent yet lagging team up the mountain again for a chance of b2b.

The team as a whole, this win tonight was one to remember.

When its all said and done, Elliot Yeo could well be sitting right alongside Matera, Judd and Cousins as our greatest ever mids. The dude is in straight up beast mode right now, headin for a 3rd straight B&F and dragging this excellent yet lagging team up the mountain again for a chance of b2b.

The team as a whole, this win tonight was one to remember.
Yeo is just a role-player; his role is to win us the game.

The past three game Yeo has gone into beast mode when we dont have the ball. Crunching tackles, chasing and pressure pressure and more pressure.
It’s annoying that Simpson is so adamant that tackles don’t mean much. Said “it’s not a big stat for us” in his presser.

It’s pretty bloody obvious that we wouldn’t have won that game in those conditions if we only laid our usual 50-60 tackles.

We’re a better side when our mids and forwards are trying to win the ball back

It’s annoying that Simpson is so adamant that tackles don’t mean much. Said “it’s not a big stat for us” in his presser.

It’s pretty bloody obvious that we wouldn’t have won that game in those conditions if we only laid our usual 50-60 tackles.

The colonial never gave up his secret herbs and spices... #playingdowntackles

I see your point but I can also see it from Simmo's perspective.

We play possession football. If we are tackling a lot it means the opposition has the ball a lot. Add to that tackles often simply lead to stoppages (which we also have issues with) and I can see why he is more interested in pressure on the ball carrier to affect the kick and win the ball back that way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back