Our next coach

Who should be our next coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roos is a known quantity, hence the flight to safety in turbulent times such as ours. However i believe he has been employed previously to evolve a team/club culturally. This is not where we are at. We need to football better on game day, the players need the noose loosened slightly when it comes to zones etc.

If he was to be part of a review or coach selection panel I would be happy with that.

We're not considering as head coach, but as some kind of advisor/consulting/coaching director role.

So someone like Caracella, who is credited with Richmond's game plan, would control that aspect of our play as head coach, and Roos is just a sounding board to give him support since he's a first time head coach. Someone Caracella can go to to ask questions he might have, support and give advice if things are tough etc

Roos is a known quantity, hence the flight to safety in turbulent times such as ours. However i believe he has been employed previously to evolve a team/club culturally. This is not where we are at. We need to football better on game day, the players need the noose loosened slightly when it comes to zones etc.

If he was to be part of a review or coach selection panel I would be happy with that.

We need help everywhere...I don’t understand why we would not see his experience as a valuable. We have a lot of issues, we need as much help as we can get.

Don’t believe in double salary Roos/insert name here. Get the best person; pay them well; demand results.
We need someone who has actually done it.... who at our club has done it as a coach. Insert name will most likely have never done it either. Why would we not get as much helpless possible.

We need someone who has actually done it.... who at our club has done it as a coach. Insert name will most likely have never done it either. Why would we not get as much helpless possible.
Get help...the best help. Lot of talented people out there. We don’t need two people. Get one talented coach who leads; pay them well and demand results.

Roos is clever, very clever and does promote his own brand well.
That said, I agree he has the score on the board and has delivered value for money.

A score on the board at Sydney more than a decade ago, the grand Melbourne plan couldn’t be regarded as a success so far.

A score on the board at Sydney more than a decade ago, the grand Melbourne plan couldn’t be regarded as a success so far.

Roos did far more at Sydney than just win a grand final.
That Melbourne are even functional is a credit to Roos.
In both cases, he played a significant role in stabilising the club and setting them on course for a prosperous future.

We're not choosing an appliance with a set of features we're choosing a person to coach another set of people. There are many variables with people. Personalities, skill sets, strengths, weaknesses etc so we need to choose the best fit for us. We need to look at our list that we have built and build upon what is going to work for this group of players. I see our strengths to be a very solid back line, tall and talented forward line capable of taking contested marks however lacking a bit of speed and I see our young midfield as being very attacking in nature, Dow, SPS, Cripps, Fisher, Walsh. It is also a very young group with very young captains.

This isn't about looking from behind our keyboards and naming coaches we think will help just because they have a big name and have success elsewhere, because they may not get it from our group! We cannot afford a repeat a Malthouse or Pagan.

What we need to do is find a coach who has the time to assess our list, to have a clear understanding of what is required to take this list forward while nurturing and keeping this young talent together and motivated. I sure as hell hope our board can get this one right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s contracted for one more year - not like when he was at Saints and could leave. Or are contracts for coaches able to be torn up?

Sometimes things are over complicated by all but to me it seems pretty simple what our kids biggest problem is. They need be unleashed and play free which is what they did to get picked so early in the first place. Let’s just hope someone on that panel can think outside the footy bubble to see this
I don't think it's any coincidence that when Bolts played first year players and let them off the lead so to speak that they played well and we saw "green shoots".
How hard was the gameplan that they couldn't then make the transition?

Senior official at Fremantle has told me that Lyon will be at Carlton next year.
If people thought we played boring footy before ...

Not sure his record screams “best available”

If people thought we played boring footy before ...

Not sure his record screams “best available”
Not so sure tbh. He hasnt had forwards for years until this year and they have improved in the scoring department.

These young kids need a mentor who can coach. Im very ok with Lyon

Not so sure tbh. He hasnt had forwards for years until this year and they have improved in the scoring department.

These young kids need a mentor who can coach. Im very ok with Lyon
Does he know how to play a high scoring style? If our forwards are a strength, not convinced he would know how to use them. From the outside, he seems to stifle players, rather than freeing them up.

Got an exciting bunch of youngsters at the club, we can’t afford to get this wrong. Having just sacked the only coach they know, who gave them their start in footy, and was seemingly a good people person intent on building relationships ... will we lose players out of misplaced loyalty to the old coach or anger/disappointment if the new coach is overbearing, plays an ugly style that kicks creativity and has a history of playing favourites with players?

Big decision for the club. Get it right, we set the club up for sustained success, get it wrong and no one currently on the list will play in a Premiership at our club.

As it stands he is not available.
Would have thought his record suggests they’re aren’t many better.
Taking St.Kilda and Fremantle to grand finals is no mean feat ...
Fair point.

If he leaves Freo to come to us, it will be the second club he has walked out on for a better offer from a club with a better long term list profile. Will always be wondering when he would do the same to us.

If he does get the nod, will support him like I have every other coach. Still don’t want it to happen, hoping we have other options.

Does he know how to play a high scoring style? If our forwards are a strength, not convinced he would know how to use them. From the outside, he seems to stifle players, rather than freeing them up.

Got an exciting bunch of youngsters at the club, we can’t afford to get this wrong. Having just sacked the only coach they know, who gave them their start in footy, and was seemingly a good people person intent on building relationships ... will we lose players out of misplaced loyalty to the old coach or anger/disappointment if the new coach is overbearing, plays an ugly style that kicks creativity and has a history of playing favourites with players?

Big decision for the club. Get it right, we set the club up for sustained success, get it wrong and no one currently on the list will play in a Premiership at our club.
At least there is no pressure involved then.....

Fair point.

If he leaves Freo to come to us, it will be the second club he has walked out on for a better offer from a club with a better long term list profile. Will always be wondering when he would do the same to us.

If he does get the nod, will support him like I have every other coach. Still don’t want it to happen, hoping we have other options.

He is a professional career coach.
Some may say a gun for hire but like many of his ilk before him, he gets his teams performing more often than not.
We could do worse ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back