Our next coach

Who should be our next coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see Teague succeed and prove that a good coach doesnt need a father figure sitting behind him.
I mean what the heck its a bloody footy team. Its not that hard. You get good players and either have the coaching flair or don't.

Imagine if he turns out to be our man and being right under our noses the whole time. Daydreaming here, but also imagine if the club selects Roos and the members erupt and lobby for Teaguey to take over full time. Oh the sweet irony..

Whoever the new coach is, I expect Simmo will be asked to move on. Maybe even Murph.

New brooms, etc..

Agreed.

It's sad but Simmo has really declined this year.

Murphy looks cooked - but he's contracted for 2020. Unless asked to retire and agrees, he'll be playing next year.

Would be absolutely gutted if Murph was asked to move on.

I know I'm biased because he was my favourite player for so many years. Pretty much since his first season. But I feel like he still has so much more he can contribute.

He doesn't need to be in and under, racking up 30 touches a game anymore. Put him on a wing, or in the forward pocket and give him free reign to do as he pleases. I refuse to believe he wouldn't add value in that capacity.

In any case, Murph and Simmo better be given heroes send offs when their time does come.

/emotional rant

Would be absolutely gutted if Murph was asked to move on.

I know I'm biased because he was my favourite player for so many years. Pretty much since his first season. But I feel like he still has so much more he can contribute.

He doesn't need to be in and under, racking up 30 touches a game anymore. Put him on a wing, or in the forward pocket and give him free reign to do as he pleases. I refuse to believe he wouldn't add value in that capacity.

In any case, Murph and Simmo better be given heroes send offs when their time does come.

/emotional rant

I'm a Murphy fan as well. How would you feel if he spent the year in the Reserves? New coach comes in, we get a group of good mature players I can see him not being used. This year he has looked cooked to me. Not an easy decision

Walker not being paid in dying seconds...
earlier in quarter Robinson tackles an Eagle with prior opportunity and drops ball, no whistle from ump, other Eagle player picks up the spillage from the dropped ball and seconds later, Eagles goal....
you got to outplay Eagles by 6 or more goals to avoid having umpire in their favour cost you a final. Just reality.

The only acceptable replacement would be Clarkeson...

Two million a year, for five years!

Do it the Carlton way!
While there is a big part of me that wants to “do it the Carlton way”, we need to ask, is the old “Carlton way” still the best approach. We keep looking for messiahs to fix our problems, but surely that isn’t enough anymore. That’s what we did with getting in Malthouse, and that turned into a massive mistake. We have then tried doing things the right way, going through a process to appoint Bolts, putting together a list rebuild and not wavering in that rebuild. Trying to change the culture of the club. That’s why it’s so disappointing to see Bolts go (whether rightly or wrongly). I feel Carlton’s identity is shot and the club doesn’t know themselves what they stand for. This is what we need to work on and why I don’t want the club to throw a grandfather offer at Clarkson or appoint someone like Scott or Lyon just because they are there. I hope a complete review of the whole Football department occurs, because if not, even if we did manage to lure Clarkson across, it’s just going to end the same way.

Ps. I’m not saying not to get Clarkson. Just that the club needs to review what they stand for and review the whole football department.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a extremely vivid dream last night. Actually thought it was real-life until I woke up.

I was at a Carlton function after our win against Brisbane this weekend.

Half way through they make an announcement.

"The Carlton football club would like to introduce our next coach...

BRETT RATTEN"

The supporters were loving it. Hugged some random bloke next to me. I was pumped up.

Then I woke and realised it was all a dream. Also realised how much I want Ratten back.
Love it great post, I mean dream.

Judd, the Pres, liddle, Lloyd and David Campbell are the coaching committee according to the Herald Sun

That the President with no background in footy is on the committee to pick a coach is everything that is wrong with our club

Bingo.

Also are we convinced Campbell is any good at his job?

Not from what I have seen this week.

Panel to select new coach (not finalised yet) .......

Chief executive Cain Liddle
Head of Football Brad Lloyd
Board Member Chris Judd
Board Member David Campbell (Partner at Egon Zehnder International)
Possibly one other.

No mention of MLo anywhere!

*Selection panel for Malthouse's replacement did not include MLo.

Chris Judd
Steven Trigg
Ken Sheldon
David Campbell
Ange Postecoglou

While there is a big part of me that wants to “do it the Carlton way”, we need to ask, is the old “Carlton way” still the best approach. We keep looking for messiahs to fix our problems, but surely that isn’t enough anymore. That’s what we did with getting in Malthouse, and that turned into a massive mistake. We have then tried doing things the right way, going through a process to appoint Bolts, putting together a list rebuild and not wavering in that rebuild. Trying to change the culture of the club. That’s why it’s so disappointing to see Bolts go (whether rightly or wrongly). I feel Carlton’s identity is shot and the club doesn’t know themselves what they stand for. This is what we need to work on and why I don’t want the club to throw a grandfather offer at Clarkson or appoint someone like Scott or Lyon just because they are there. I hope a complete review of the whole Football department occurs, because if not, even if we did manage to lure Clarkson across, it’s just going to end the same way.

Ps. I’m not saying not to get Clarkson. Just that the club needs to review what they stand for and review the whole football department.
Agreed.
But I think everything you’ve stated is precisely the reason we need Clarkeson. If anyone can give a club an identity, it’s him.

I thought Bolton was building that, and was doing an amazing job. I believe the only individual who would be better at it, is Clarkeson. That’s why I said he was the only acceptable replacement, in my view.

Ratten back would mend some wounds between those in charge of club and members. It would be some real good come out of this horrible experience.
Thin it is an outside chance. I will be very happy if Ratten returns as coach as 2012 decision to appoint Malthouse after we had horror run with injury. Was most stupid decision I seen in all my time following my club. Made me very angry to have to put up with Malthouse AND see the mess it caused to our list. We will never get that time back but least wounds can be healed if those still on board indirectly admit some errors in their thinking by getting Ratten back.

However, short of that happening I would also be very content if Michael Voss was coach. Both guys would have learned heaps from their first experience and now staying very closely involved in coaching caper since. Can only imagine both have some great tools and lessons to bring to table as head coaches for this next decade.
It annoys me endlessly how Rattens time at Carlton is called a failure, Rattens coaching was not a failure the Boards decision to sack him was the failure, he should not have failed coach next to his name because he is not a failed coach the administration failed in its support and backing of the coach not the otherway around as history would have us believe.

Even without Ratten being a former Carlton champion, he was, objectively speaking, hard done by and would still be a sound candidate as a coach at any other club. Once the Carlton glasses are removed, he is still a decent candidate but doubt he’d want to return with the current administration.

Clarko would be a dream get and I’m sure he’d make it a condition about having autonomy and being able to direct the path forward. There’s no way he’d be bossed around in the same as I reckon Bolton would’ve allowed it.

Re Ross the Boss - as Sam Pang said on the Front Bar last night, we already know how to kick 4 goals a game so No need for Ross.

Roos - I think he hates us that much that he wouldn’t want to coach is. But if we get an untried coach or someone with say less than 5 years senior coaching experience, I’d certainly be keen to have Roos in the same capacity as what Neil Craig was to Bolts.

Even without Ratten being a former Carlton champion, he was, objectively speaking, hard done by and would still be a sound candidate as a coach at any other club. Once the Carlton glasses are removed, he is still a decent candidate but doubt he’d want to return with the current administration.
Ratts wasn't complete by any means back then. I used to curse our inability to deal with opposition playing a spare defender under his reign. Also, he was prone to barracking instead of being the field marshal. Nothing he couldn't have figured out after 2012 with good support and decent luck with injuries.

I reckon he must have learnt a thing or two off Clarkson in the meantime. He could only be better.

Herald Sun frontpage story (hidden behind paywall) has "two left-field" candidates for our coaching position. Can anyone tell us who they are?

Not from what I have seen this week.

Panel to select new coach (not finalised yet) .......

Chief executive Cain Liddle
Head of Football Brad Lloyd
Board Member Chris Judd
Board Member David Campbell (Partner at Egon Zehnder International)
Possibly one other.

No mention of MLo anywhere!

Internal. Internal. Internal. Internal.

It may as well be MLo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back