Autopsy Rd 13 Blues double comeback just falls short in a thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 13?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree totally, they should blanket ban idiots at kids games.
I’m talking about AFL professional level, players being paid a small fortune, the rights sell for billions the umpiring should be at the same level - & it’s not. I’m not saying it’s easy, but the umpiring should be better
how? please tell me?

I actually generally like your posting but I just think that you lose all objectivity when the subject of .Murphy comes up. To suggest that we lost the game due to one missed tackle whilst overlooking his excellent contributions and then suggesting that he be forced to retire when we desperately need experience and good ball users is mind boggling.
I guess that makes me a part of the clique though. Sorry about that.
I just want to say this. I feel for Murph. He chose us over Brisbane. He would’ve starred and, probably, been a. Premiership player in a better team. But he stuck fat with us. It’s as if too many Carlton supporters still expect him to deliver the premiership that every No 1 is expected to deliver for their team.
Seriously show some genuine love and respect for Murph. He deserves it.

I just want to say this. I feel for Murph. He chose us over Brisbane. He would’ve starred and, probably, been a. Premiership player in a better team. But he stuck fat with us. It’s as if too many Carlton supporters still expect him to deliver the premiership that every No 1 is expected to deliver for their team.
A ******* men

Murph wasnt around in the 3peat days. Lions best finish is 6th in the time Murph has been playing (even we finished 5th or 6th in 2011)

Except Cripps won the game for us, i guess he can just do that every week and we will be ok
Murphy has minimal impact on a game these days a shadow of what he was .
Whether he is in or out has no bearing on Cripps and minimal impact on our chances of winning games of football .

Sadly for every good thing Murph does he throws in a shocker (stupid turnover, missed tackle, “hospital pass” to avoid a tackle, floater kicks that nearly get teammates killed).

Some poster choose to remember only the good and ignore the latter.

I find him incredibly frustrating to watch.
So his lace out pass to big H in the last quarter was frustrating? I find him a delight to watch. All that he has given to the club will never be forgotten and posts that lay the boots into him are ‘incredibly frustrating’

Great thing is we're showing this year that our best is very good...we can score quickly and really put teams to the sword in patches.
At least it's fun to watch.

Everyone knows we can't sustain it though and have periods of getting dominated ourselves.
Need to address it but it was always going to happen given the number of young players in the team, especially in midfield.

But we've clearly got a lot of talent and when they mature we're going to be a very good team.

The way I see it , we are now playing like a typical very young side- flashes of good and bad. The commonality being inconsistency.

But thats OK- the confidence our players are getting from those flashes of brilliance far outweighs any negatives that are associated with our flashes of bad. It is showing them all what they are capable of doing- and giving them something to work towards.
Funnily enough having BB before Teague could act to the team development advantage. Deep down they all know that what BB was trying to instill , is a path they eventually need to follow- defence and structure first. Defence/structure when played well will usually beat the offensive game. Our players have tasted the BB approach and will have learnt from it and will endeavor to combine it in with DT's offensive/freedom based approach. Our players know what they have to learn eventually, but for now are happy to be free-balling their way through a few games

How dare he not be as good as Suckling in his second year! Peaheart!

Fully aware of the "don't play the man" policy, but **** it, I'll wear one for the team.

You're a dick.

Read the post. "Obrien needs to become Suckling" Obrien didn't even score out on the full. Suckling is the player he needs to become. I stand by what I said. Just to reinforce my point and refute yours. Take off your rose coloured glasses have a look at Bailey Smith's game (first year player) and note his crunch goals compared to Obrien ( 2nd year player) who kicked it out on the full.

So his lace out pass to big H in the last quarter was frustrating? I find him a delight to watch. All that he has given to the club will never be forgotten and posts that lay the boots into him are ‘incredibly frustrating’

Think you completely missed the point of my post.

I loved that kick - just wish I saw more of them.

I also hated the 9 x half hearted missed tackles.

You could also go back and watch the last 2 minutes of the GCS match to better understand my point.

Read the post. "Obrien needs to become Suckling" Obrien didn't even score out on the full. Suckling is the player he needs to become. I stand by what I said. Just to reinforce my point and refute yours. Take off your rose coloured glasses have a look at Bailey Smith's game (first year player) and note his crunch goals compared to Obrien ( 2nd year player) who kicked it out on the full.

Also saw your post suggesting he was a "peaheart" for missing a goal.

Just to reinforce my point - you're a dick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not saying banish him like they have with Kennedy.

I like Dow...I really do but he’s not big enough yet to help Cripps.

If he’s not strong or experienced enough yet then the VFL is a handy place to work on his disposal without the pressure.

1-2 weeks won’t hurt him.....after all it didn’t hurt LOB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dow is the sort of player that when playing for another club, our cheap outside analysis would say was struggling. Then comes another season we are scratching our heads at the overnight sensation he has become

Teague needs to look at the 7 minutes in when kreuzer was off and Casboult rucked in the last qtr. English smashed Casboult, even kicked a goal, I think. There might be a role for Jones as 2nd Ruck

"are we" Carlton or are we Murphy????????

For those that Want Murphy don't like this post..

For those that want Carlton to be Successful from 2019!!

Discuss.

Murphy is not the player he once was, we all know that he is in protection mode, but he was far from our worst. Over the next 12 months he will be phased out, as the group matures. Murphy was not the reason we lost

Seriously, let it go

Casboult is actually a gun backman. It’s seriously so awesome to see him doing so well.

With Casboult’s emergence I really think it might be a good idea to start rucking Jones. He would be epic roaming around the ground hitting packs, and could hold the fort whilst TDK develops.

I think he had some cameos in this role a while back. Can't remember how successful he was.

Teague needs to look at the 7 minutes in when kreuzer was off and Casboult rucked in the last qtr. English smashed Casboult, even kicked a goal, I think. There might be a role for Jones as 2nd Ruck

MJ, enough with the scapegoats, if it wasn't for Levi we would have lost by 5 goals or more

Murph had 4 posies to half time. Not sure that's good enough for one of ur most experienced players.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We used him in a very strange manner though. Would love to see his TOG stats by quarter.

He started out on the wing, played mostly forward, and quite limited game time in the first half. Was very tentative - stayed away from most stoppages and was barely running/spreading.

Third quarter he went straight into the middle, and played most of the quarter there, and played a huge role as we broke the game open, and was running hard all quarter

Last quarter, he went back forward, stayed there, then went back for another burst on-ball, before going out again,

It's like for fitness or other reasons we had a plan to only use him in a short burst in a full capacity - and while he broke the game apart in that role, he really struggled when in other roles across the game.

It'll be interesting to watch how we use him agaisnst Freo after the bye - whether this is strategic, or part of a management plan given his injury

I think most people are already over the agenda driven anti Murphy garbage. Nearly every impartial poster has noted how important he was in the second half when moved on to the ball except for those who already had made up their minds.
I have a foot in both camps. He was very good in the second half, but its those dinky little left foot kicks that miss the target that frustrates. As someone who has played 250+ games, he should be better than that.

Bit in that, though he had a really good 2017.

I think in the back of his mind would be the fact he’s one major injury away from having to retire. The body probably doesnt recover from the knocks as well as it used to
Agree with you furthermore there’s no has never been an issue regarding his courage as a youngster he was lined up by a bigger player more hardened and had his shoulder pummeled and continued with courage. Lions wanted to make a point and he do the brunt.
Marc as given plenty to the club now approaching 300 games obviously he’s not the player he once was, a Bagger Champion no less.

Getting into the minds of the MC i don't see any of these happening tbh.

McGovern/SOS
Watching the replay again McGovern wasn't great but i don't think he was as bad as people were saying...he was jumping at the ball and providing an option in the forward half. His mis-timed leaps were poor and uncharacteristic, but he was in good positions and could have had a good game if he held onto a few of those...pretty sure the MC will back him to train hard and regain his timing in the seniors, like with Charlie earlier in the year. Teague praised the way the big forwards worked together in the forward line in the presser so sounds like overall he was happy enough with McKay & McGovern's game. JSOS probably needs to back it up with another big VFL performance to force his way back in.

Dow/Cottrell
We're developing and fast-tracking Dow for the future. I disagree that his efforts aren't there, always appears to give effort and looks knackered...reckon he's one who's needed a rest but since he'll get that with the bye i doubt he'll be dropped for the Freo game. Cottrell is building but needs to do more to get a senior birth...his highest possession count in the VFL is 18 as an outside player. Needs to get his numbers up.

Gibbons/Owies
Has had a good few weeks and there was rumours about Teague giving him a game in his first game in charge though not sure if there was any truth in that.
Gibbons had a poor game but was very good against Brisbane just the week before...Soapy V mentioned he played hurt last night. I don't think we'll want to make too many unnecessary changes to bring in guys with even less experience so i'm pretty sure Gibbons will keep his spot as he's done all year so far.

That's the thing about McGovern, he was in good position and did nothing. He really didn't do anything apart from jump and bring it to ground. Unfortunately he's had a lot of games like that. I have no doubt Silvagni would have provided more, at least he would have had an impact at ground level. I think the MC need to send a message, just because we chased him and are paying him well doesn't mean he's going to be selected if he's not playing well and he's had a fairly mediocre season. He's not fit enough and if a little kick in the arse gets him motivated to train a bit harder then that's good going forward.

I saw enough of Dow second guessing whether to chase or not, I've been aware that applying pressure has been a big weakness of his since we drafted him and while it's getting better I saw that creeping in again. Dow just looked like he was going through the motions a bit out there and genuinely looked like someone spectating. I'm concerned that is how he is developing in a midfield that goes to Cripps all the time. He needs to develop some urgency and intensity and I'm just not seeing it. I think he needs to go to the VFL where he can purely hunt the footy and isn't playing in Cripp's shadow for a while. He's physically not up to AFL footy yet and in a half decent side he would be playing a lot of reserves football. If Cottrell played and only had 10 or 15 touches then at least we know he can kick so probably a more valuable than Dow or Gibbons' 10 or 15 touches.

Yeah I have heard the rumor about Owies. That's why I think after kicking 5 it might be the time. It would be a hell of an achievement if he did play and if he plays and goes ok then we might have a special player on our hands. Would be a massive boost to the guy as well going into 2020. Gibbons was good against Brisbane and you don't often get consistency out of small forwards so he'd be stiff but we will see. If he played hurt he probably shouldn't have.

The thing is if we don't look we won't find.

Give these guys a go who have shown a bit in the VFL and they may just take to AFL and win us games.

I think Silvagni would be a better player in a team without McGovern and if McGovern isn't up to going back to the VFL and playing well like Silvagni has, if he fails to do that then VFL is where he belongs. Same with Dow, he should have gone back a month a go, he really really needs to play some footy at that level for development's sake. Fair chance DeLuca pushes Dow back to the VFL anyway. I think it would be interesting to see how Dow would go at VFL level. Would he outplay Kennedy? I think so. One thing I am sure of is that developing him in a team where he's not getting enough of the footy and we aren't going to him because we go to Cripps all the time is not good for his development.

Back