Autopsy Rd 13 Blues double comeback just falls short in a thriller

Who played well for the Blues in Round 13?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

how? please tell me?
Easy, remove some of the grey & be quicker in the whistle- eg not 360 swing around- someone tackles correctly reward them & call it quicker.
Pay more attention to throws, stop the bullshit ruck infringements that no knows who it about to be paid to. Back that players are highly skilled and when they drop a mark more often than not there’s a chop of the arm - if they can’t get to hands to the ball - there’s a reason.
Call the start of the game the same as the end- helps if they ping a target early for a hold...
And that’s a small sample- how to do it - take out the grey & train the umpires more. Pay them more, train them more, create a pathway and a respected profession.

Not sure why it's so unwelcome to be calling things the way one sees them.
Not his fault his was captain though. If this was a mistake, then it's on the clubs' head and not his.
If Murphy did hold the club to ransom in order to attain the captaincy, then it's the clubs fault for buckling. (if, because this was my observation at the time)

This current Murphy is not the Murphy of pre 2015. This current Murphy is 'taking care' of himself.
That's not to say he won't play a good game here or there, or doesn't deserve to be in the team, but he's just not going to bust his gut doing it.

In the meantime we can all choose to see what we want to see and not see what we don't want to see. No harm done.
Your observation at the time was that Murphy held the club to ransom to attain the captaincy? Murphy was made captain in 2013 and retained it to 2018. So you are saying that he held them to ransom every year to retain the captaincy.
What is your observation based on - "the vibe" "mabo"?
Is it just possible that the powers that be decided that he was the best person for the job and that he has been incredibly loyal over the journey and for that alone he deserves our respect.

Y
MJ, enough with the scapegoats, if it wasn't for Levi we would have lost by 5 goals or more

You seem unable to accept any form of analysis or constructive criticism that could lead Carlton to improve. Before you rub your belly button fluff and pat the players on the head-watch the replay

Easy, remove some of the grey & be quicker in the whistle- eg not 360 swing around- someone tackles correctly reward them & call it quicker.
Pay more attention to throws, stop the ******** ruck infringements that no knows who it about to be paid to. Back that players are highly skilled and when they drop a mark more often than not there’s a chop of the arm - if they can’t get to hands to the ball - there’s a reason.
Call the start of the game the same as the end- helps if they ping a target early for a hold...
And that’s a small sample- how to do it - take out the grey & train the umpires more. Pay them more, train them more, create a pathway and a respected profession.
and you think none of this has been done or been thought of before? it took you to come up with these wondrous solutions because no-one in 130 years of the game had been able to think of these..............sad little tweaks that you actually believe will make a difference - that it?

Pay more attention to throws, stop the ******** ruck infringements that no knows who it about to be paid to. Back that players are highly skilled and when they drop a mark more often than not there’s a chop of the arm - if they can’t get to hands to the ball - there’s a reason.

Umpires should professional some of the inconsistencies are embarrassing, not sure how the AFL can justify and tolerate the performances week in week out.

Not sure why it's so unwelcome to be calling things the way one sees them.
Not his fault his was captain though. If this was a mistake, then it's on the clubs' head and not his.
If Murphy did hold the club to ransom in order to attain the captaincy, then it's the clubs fault for buckling. (if, because this was my observation at the time)

This current Murphy is not the Murphy of pre 2015. This current Murphy is 'taking care' of himself.
That's not to say he won't play a good game here or there, or doesn't deserve to be in the team, but he's just not going to bust his gut doing it.

In the meantime we can all choose to see what we want to see and not see what we don't want to see. No harm done.

He really really is taking care of himself and in all honestly I don't blame him. He's in his 30s and has very little to play for. We're not playing finals. Being an old player in a side that is perennially bad and isn't playing finals, it's tough to get motivated and put your body on the line for nothing.

I'm wondering if we became good again and started playing finals whether Murphy would lift and start playing contact football again...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Y

You seem unable to accept any form of analysis or constructive criticism that could lead Carlton to improve. Before you rub your belly button fluff and pat the players on the head-watch the replay

MJ, try and just analyze the game, rather than directing your angst at the likes of Levi, or a single act by any of our players.

We lost the game in the first quarter, the collective played poor. It is not unusual for a young inexperienced group

We started well against Hawks, had a poor quarter then fought back. Pies game was lost in the last 6 minutes. GC game was lost by poor disposal

It's called squad inconsistencies

Stop trying to blame a handful of individuals

The AFL is big Money Business, The Umpires should be Full-time Paid employees of the AFL..
Gill is too scared to take the Next step and make them full time employees..

and you think none of this has been done or been thought of before? it took you to come up with these wondrous solutions because no-one in 130 years of the game had been able to think of these..............sad little tweaks that you actually believe will make a difference - that it?
So what do u propose? Just to stick your head in the sand and “everything is great! It’s just a hard job”?
You have to keep trying to improve, you just have to try harder & smarter. They will never be 100% accurate, but they can try to be and work to get better!
The AFL has to help- there solution atm is to have bloody security guards ready to eject people for making to much noise!

I have a foot in both camps. He was very good in the second half, but its those dinky little left foot kicks that miss the target that frustrates. As someone who has played 250+ games, he should be better than that.
Agree. My argument isn't that he is a superstar any more but the link up play, footy smarts etc mean that we are substantially better off in the team than without him based on our current list.

Murphy didn't have a great game by his standards. seemed to be playing well when we were playing well and going ordinary when we were. don't know the cause/effect there.. Definitely not our worst player and wouldn't be at risk of being dropped.

I think unless McGovern was under an injury cloud that a week off will fix. he might go out for Jack and have a week or 2 in the 2's to get a bit of touch. Other than him the only other players i'd drop would be newman if we wanted to try Lang in his position at AFL level (he did come back to that position in the VFL). but i'd be very surprised if Lang was able to handle that.

Fish/Dow/Gibbons could all be managed for a week if it wasn't the bye coming up as well.. Gibbons had 66% TOG so not sure whether that was an injury cloud or some other reason?. Nobody to come in other than JSOS though really.... I'd say Gibbons/Murphy are both competing for the same spot in the team, might struggle to have both of them with the other midfielders we have.

Setterfields ball use isn't great. but he finds lots of the ball and is coming back from a serious injury, his improvement from his first week at Carlton has been huge. keeping Kennedy out of the 1's.

Don't know who goes out for Jones.

Read the post. "Obrien needs to become Suckling" Obrien didn't even score out on the full. Suckling is the player he needs to become. I stand by what I said. Just to reinforce my point and refute yours. Take off your rose coloured glasses have a look at Bailey Smith's game (first year player) and note his crunch goals compared to Obrien ( 2nd year player) who kicked it out on the full.

Yes, O'Brien's miss was very disappointing, in space and with time. And yes, Smith kicked one nice goal (you're quite liberal with your plurals). But Smith had a total of 3 kicks for the match. If we're going to compare them directly, O'Brien was the better player on the night, by a distance.

Suckling? He kicked one goal from a centring pass that fell through the goalmouth. Super kick, no question, but it wasn't like he meant it, as was obvious from his own reaction. Other than that, I saw two missed set shots, one of which was straightforward... and running into goal in the last couple of minutes of the game, at least 10-15 m closer in than O'Brien was, and with the chance to ice the game, he took the third of two options, and landed it on Casboult's chest. Fatigue would have been a factor, but it was a terrible piece of play, gave us a big chance to attack and win the game.

On balance, I really kinda hope O'Brien doesn't become Suckling. To be honest, I expect him to be better than that.

He really really is taking care of himself and in all honestly I don't blame him. He's in his 30s and has very little to play for. We're not playing finals. Being an old player in a side that is perennially bad and isn't playing finals, it's tough to get motivated and put your body on the line for nothing.

I'm wondering if we became good again and started playing finals whether Murphy would lift and start playing contact football again...
What shits me is that he took someones spot that is willing to bust a ball sack in jack. Not murphs fault though, he doesn't pick the team.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So what do u propose? Just to stick your head in the sand and “everything is great! It’s just a hard job”?
You have to keep trying to improve, you just have to try harder & smarter. They will never be 100% accurate, but they can try to be and work to get better!
The AFL has to help- there solution atm is to have bloody security guards ready to eject people for making to much noise!
no it's not - don't be pathetically obtuse - you actually believe these people don't train and train and train across a million aspects of the role? really? just turn up whack on the dunlop volleys and umpire a game? they are every bit as advanced in their training and preparation as the players - get a clue - the umpire says it's holding the ball - so it is - the end - go to bed and leave me to my puns........

Have you worked out the average player errors/turnovers per game, from fulltime players?

Stop blaming the umpires, nothing they do has ever decided the result of a game

Wasn't aware that the game was called off at half time. Or does the second half not support your argument?
Just a fact frizzy dizzy. Nah it was his 2 tackles for the whole game that won me over. When things are going bad is when u need ur seniors to stand up. He didn't. I still stand by what I said. I'm pretty sure murph would agree.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back