Roast Fans getting Warnings and Booted for Being too Loud

Remove this Banner Ad

There have been several violent acts this year, with one as recent as the weekend.
Drunkenness is common at the footy, I see it almost every time I go

Again, the issues that need resolving are IMV not in question, it is how we resolve them that is

Not arguing with you. Do we know if this is an increase on the year's before and do we have evidence that more security would reduce these acts?

Like you, I'd like zero violence, drunkenness, and abusive behaviour at the footy but...

I'm not comfortable with security patrolling as they did last weekend. Live scanning of the crowd for any over-enthusiasm is counterproductive and I think this is the main issue in this thread.

IMO the crowd has been largely self-regulating which is what has been great about watching footy up till now. I have taken my kids and have never once felt threatened. I don't get the security overreaction.

Last edited:
So according to the AFL nothing is happening and nothing has changed in the last 100 years. Anyone that has been attending football over the last three or four decades will know that is untrue. Racism, sexism, homophobia and umpire abuse were the norm. The impact of the AFL spin is to rewrite history and deny there is anything to converse about. Cultural change is inevitable and in this case I believe desirable but where is the education and public conversation? The AFL clearly see themselves as proponents of social change in regards to the players and public but left themselves out of that agenda, happy to continue as a
secretive, manipulative bunch of spin doctors. A line has been drawn in the sand, there is a bunch of security guards out there that know where this line falls: someone should ask them.

Good old Jeff "Mr Beyond Blue" Kennett.

I’m not being racist when I say this, but when I saw some of the footage, the people who are making judgments while they wear these authoritative coats, are not people who appear to have a great knowledge of our game,” he told Neil Mitchell.

Lol! If that is not being racist (i.e. pre-judging someone on their race) then what the hell is?

I guess that you just cannot keep a good-ole racist down.

Good old Jeff "Mr Beyond Blue" Kennett.

I’m not being racist when I say this, but when I saw some of the footage, the people who are making judgments while they wear these authoritative coats, are not people who appear to have a great knowledge of our game,” he told Neil Mitchell.

Lol! If that is not being racist (i.e. pre-judging someone on their race) then what the hell is?

I guess that you just cannot keep a good-ole racist down.
Now if Eddie said that...Boom!

Not arguing with you. Do we know if this is an increase on the year's before and do we have evidence that more security would reduce these acts?

Like you, I'd like zero violence, drunkenness, and abusive behaviour at the footy but...

I'm not comfortable with security patrolling as they did last weekend. Live scanning of the crowd for any over-enthusiasm is counterproductive and I think this is the main issue in this thread.

IMO the crowd has been largely self-regulating which is what has been great about watching footy up till now. I have taken my kids and have never once felt threatened. I don't get the security overreaction.
Knee jerk reaction to appease soft c!@cks and anti drinking zeolots.

Well Alcohol would be 1 of the Big ones
The vast majority of people that drink conduct themselves in a responsible manner. I have drank quite a lot at games before and never been violent, swear incessantly or exposed my stomach for the world to see.

Of course alcohol needs to part of any discussion but banning it will only increase fan discontent

It's all a bit of a joke isn't it. Now I can't take racism or anything like that, people like that should be turfed out. But behavioural awareness officers fmd... Going to the footy, being a spectator is a tribal thing, there's an element of venting which is an essential part of going to the footy.

Sanitizing it to extreme levels detracts from the experience for all involved. Again if comments are crossing the line fair enough, but to get reprimanded for saying bald headed flog is ludicrous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

However, Russell has a simple message for the Pies supporter.
“Joffa is threatening to boycott games, Joffa mate, stay home, the game won’t miss you,” he said.
“Collingwood greats like Tony Shaw departed the game and the game immediately moved on so they’re not going to miss the leader of the cheer squad – I reckon they’ll still bounce the ball in the middle.”

Dwayne 1 - Joffa 0

Who is Dwayne?

The Media be Bying for his Blood.

You would not Shut Caro Up on Footy Classfied tonight
They couldn’t afford him.

All of this has gone so far over the top.

Will exhaust itself soon enough.

They just want to Kick Fans Out.

Well people might be better Saving there Money and Staying Home thought the AFL would also love that so they can get more money from TV Channel for more Viewers.

Piss of Gil and Hocking

I think quite the opposite Dave. No crowds at games would ultimately destroy the on-screen experience as games would lack any sort of atmosphere.

The media have an agenda of shameless attention-seeking, and anything to do with football is a winner, but I reckon we need to look beyond the sensationalism rather than dismiss the possible issues.

The overreaction of the media shouldn't blind us to the possibility that the AFL has itself overreacted. I went to the Queen's Birthday recently, and I didn't enjoy the presence of security walking up and down the aisles, occasionally standing there and eyeballing the crowd for no discernible reason. Other people reported a similar experience. And then we discovered later on that a Collingwood fan --albeit one with a questionable track record-- had been told to tone it down, even though his barracking (on this occasion) was nothing beyond what we've seen at the football for decades.

I've never been particularly uncomfortable at the footy, but the sudden appearance/visibility of security with a brief to check and to control the temperature of the crowd changes that. It is an unfortunate thing if Collingwood look like such winners on the scoreboard but the supporters in the stands need to temper the same sort of enthusiasm that they've shown since the late 19th century.

One of the main problems, in my view, is that the AFL have introduced the 'anti-social behaviour' reporting service. It is prominently advertised at the ground, and it seems that a portion of supporters have embraced the concept, but all of this ignores the fact that 'anti-social' is a glaringly subjective term, and it stands to reason that the people who are most likely to use the service are those with a rather expansive definition of what anti-social behaviour is. This thread is a case in point, where many people seem offended by the appearance or volume of some of their fellow footy-goers, as much --or more-- than they care about the substance of what might be said.

This is the issue for me: the AFL try to assure us that 'nothing has changed', and yet they've introduced an unprecedented system where security are responding to the easily offended sensibilities of a few.

Apologies for ranting. I should leave the issue alone!

Been available for years and has always been prominently advertised as far as I'm aware.

Should we try to prevent violence at the Footy?
Should we try to prevent racial and homophobic abuse at the Footy?
Should we try to prevent people using the F word and C word around children at the footy?
Should we try to prevent public drunkenness at the footy?

In my opinion we should, I don't call it PC (because nuff nuffs use that term as an all purpose cop out), I call it Respect

All admirable aims but I'm not aware of any situation where prohibition has ever worked. Far better to bring about change through education rather than applying what appear to be overly heavy handed measures.

Been available for years and has always been prominently advertised as far as I'm aware.

I was dubious, then checked and it was indeed introduced in 2014. I still think that the anti-social number has been displayed more prominently than in previous years, but I can't be sure.

In any case, I reckon that the use of the reporting service or the response to reports has changed. The 2014 introduction --widely supported by coaches, AFL community more generally etc.-- was aimed at 'abuse, violence and vilification', so it seems to be going beyond that just lately.

I was dubious, then checked and it was indeed introduced in 2014. I still think that the anti-social number has been displayed more prominently than in previous years, but I can't be sure.

In any case, I reckon that the use of the reporting service or the response to reports has changed. The 2014 introduction --widely supported by coaches, AFL community more generally etc.-- was aimed at 'abuse, violence and vilification', so it seems to be going beyond that just lately.

There you go. I actually thought it might have been longer than that. Has generally been displayed on or around the scoreboards since it's introduction.

I think it's as much about peoples growing sense of entitlement coupled with the fact they can report anonymously.

I think it's as much about peoples growing sense of entitlement coupled with the fact they can report anonymously.

I'm inclined to agree...people expecting the comfort of their lounge room in a robust public space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back