2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel strongly we have trade targets. No doubt we have thrown everything at Kelly but reckon we'll be after some other expats.
Trade targets don't automatically mean this year's picks though. There is amazing flexibility now, and speculation about Langdon which seems a plausible move.

Strategically, I would like the club to go to the draft again, or player/player trade, although you never knock back a bargain. This draft is well stocked for the type of players that I would like to see added to our list; multi-positional midfielders.

Last edited:
Trade targets don't automatically mean this year's picks though. There is amazing flexibility now, and speculation about Langdon which seems a plausible move.

Strategically, I would like the club to go to the draft again, or player/player trade, although you never knock back a bargain. This draft is well stocked for the type of players that I would like to see added to our list; multi-positional midfielders.
That's true, but I doubt we'd deal exclusively in 2020 picks.

I am expecting shenanigans where we end up with 1-3 players we didn't start with and a totally different set of picks.

How sh*t is fox footy.. the "Coverage" of the draft goes up every year and yet this year so far we have had 1 game broadcast. This weeks 2nd last round isnt either, so at most we will get the last 2 games - ie. less than 2018

I know there are youtube videos of the games but its not quite the same. Unless its part of some arrangement with Telstra or some garbage that Fox wouldn't cover the games , so we have to stream them live

Chris, are there any players who missed out last year or the year before who you think we should target.
I'm a bit of a fan of this strategy for later picks

Specifically regarding Jackson, do you see him as playing early, or is he more likely to need seasons to become an effective recruit? I am loving Darcy and Lobb, and look forward to seeing them in tandem, but after that we seem to have break in emergency types only. That leaves us vulnerable, and dooms us to endless chatter about Darcy "going home". At the potential pick you have him I suspect there may be better options for us in terms of list balance, but I really liked what he did in the championships, especially his mobility.

Always hard to tell with ruckmen. Potentially Jackson could play early, but history says it would take a couple of years until he became good enough to really warrant selection. Darcy was an anomaly in that regard. I'd only be taking him if he dropped into say the late second round and was by far the best player available. Or if Darcy staying long term was a significant concern.

It's not a popular opinion, but I'm in the camp that Scott Jones is fine as a backup ruck. You know he's going to compete and break even against a lot of the rucks going around. I probably would have drafted a more athletic ruck to develop than Lloyd Meek though, give a better balance to the group.

Chris, are there any players who missed out last year or the year before who you think we should target.
I'm a bit of a fan of this strategy for later picks

A few of the better options were picked up in the mid season draft - Dunkley and Riordan in particular. I liked Hayden Sampson last year, a half forward/outside mid from South Adelaide. He's a classy player and has adjusted well at top level in the SANFL this year. Guess Jarvis Pina falls into this category.

He's a bit older but I think Matthew Nunn is the best mature aged midfielder available. He's 22 and 181cm, plays for Norwood in the SANFL. Everyone keeps talking about Bolton and Schloithe, but he's better. Averaged 24 touches a game last year, only played four games this year because of injury but averaged 20 touches at 90% efficiency. If we were to lose Langdon, Nunn could slot straight in on a wing - and he's a better kick.

Always hard to tell with ruckmen. Potentially Jackson could play early, but history says it would take a couple of years until he became good enough to really warrant selection. Darcy was an anomaly in that regard. I'd only be taking him if he dropped into say the late second round and was by far the best player available. Or if Darcy staying long term was a significant concern.

It's not a popular opinion, but I'm in the camp that Scott Jones is fine as a backup ruck. You know he's going to compete and break even against a lot of the rucks going around. I probably would have drafted a more athletic ruck to develop than Lloyd Meek though, give a better balance to the group.

A few of the better options were picked up in the mid season draft - Dunkley and Riordan in particular. I liked Hayden Sampson last year, a half forward/outside mid from South Adelaide. He's a classy player and has adjusted well at top level in the SANFL this year. Guess Jarvis Pina falls into this category.

He's a bit older but I think Matthew Nunn is the best mature aged midfielder available. He's 22 and 181cm, plays for Norwood in the SANFL. Everyone keeps talking about Bolton and Schloithe, but he's better. Averaged 24 touches a game last year, only played four games this year because of injury but averaged 20 touches at 90% efficiency. If we were to lose Langdon, Nunn could slot straight in on a wing - and he's a better kick.
Does Nunn have the tank for defense and repeat efforts of Ed?

Thanks mate

I respect so much of what you say but Scott Jones is barely WAFL standard. If watched him play wafl and bar ruck taps he can't compete around the ground. An AFL ruck will out run him and out ruck him. I just can't fathom how he could be a back up.

I respect so much of what you say but Scott Jones is barely WAFL standard. If watched him play wafl and bar ruck taps he can't compete around the ground. An AFL ruck will out run him and out ruck him. I just can't fathom how he could be a back up.
Jones has been fine for what we picked him up as, mature, ready to go injury crisis reserve who was in a rich vein of form when we got him.

If there is a better 24-27 year old ruck in the state leagues I'd pick him up and delist Jones, otherwise he gets another year

Key word is crisis

He's not afl standard
I think that if you are a big unit for a ruckman you need more than just size to play AFL.Sandi did well because of his
fitness and he suited the game style of Ross and of the times.
Darcy is another who will be very good once he loses the puppy fat, but Jones you just don't see physical, athletic changes and he has had a few years to show something.
Rather we develop Dixon as a forward/ruck and remove Jones or Meek.
We have Darcy, Lobb, Cox, one of the above, and if Jackson slides? WC should be all over him though.
Having more players in the 194-200cm range seems smarter than having too many pure ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Man, we have too many draft or trade threads. Sharp not in his top 25. I think people are going to be surprised how far he falls. His lack of contested ball is a serious concern IMO
I wonder if it is more a mentality thing. If it is just that he can't win his own ball, you can teach him that (eg. Shill) . If he doesn't want to that is a big problem.

Reckon you'd be happy taking the punt with pick 20+ though. Clearly got some talent.

I wonder if it is more a mentality thing. If it is just that he can't win his own ball, you can teach him that (eg. Shill) . If he doesn't want to that is a big problem.

Reckon you'd be happy taking the punt with pick 20+ though. Clearly got some talent.
I think his interviews are going to be important, clearly has talent, but whats the point if the endeavor isn't there. He had his best game for carnival against County but there were several times you could him actively avoid the contest.

With how even that top 30 is, I can see him moving out of that, there are plenty of other options. Rivers for example who isn't in that top 25 either

Chris, has your opinion of the 2019 crop changed after the carnival?

This is a very shallow analysis and I'm only working on a small sample, but would it be fair to say that the overall skill level this carnival is down from last year?

I know the SA team last year was pretty special but I had a distinct impression of their output last year, compared to Vic Country & WA this year.

Over the entire carnival goals were down by 36, 2019 goal accuracy down to 48% from 52% the year before. Do you attribute that to a combination of the lack of quality forward & better defender depth as you said in the OP?

I have a baseless feeling that there will be a few non-apparent gems in this draft between 10-50, especially in the back half of the field.

Chris25 I have looked at Knightmare top 25 on Fox and he doesn't have Roberston in his top 20 nor does he as an unlucky to miss player.

He won the lark medal and has strong leadership qualities. This is evident as he captained WA.

WA also one the state champs and no WA or other state bar Vic metro abd county featured in his top 10 picks.

Why do you think this is?

I didn't watch Gaff so I cant comment, did he avoid contests? Also, didn't Gaff get it like 25+ times every game
Was an accumulator, no stand out quality, but just read the play well on the outside and huge engine. Which is why
His hit on Brayshaw?
3.07 0-20m, 15.3 beap test in 2010 was good, S Hill had him covered for X factor but over the journey Gaff has proven reliable, and worked on his inside game, a known weakeness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back