Autopsy Geelong loses to Doggies by 16 points // Rd 16 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll back you up, Grimoz. To me it looked like Gary's hands were separated and he lofted the ball slightly and then hit it with the same hand. I can understand fans getting annoyed because it was called at a bad time and we got the worse end of the stick with decisions for most of the game but that call was one I could defend, from the ump's POV. Now the free against Stanley in the Dogs' F50 or the HTB against Sel against the boundary - THEY were genuinely appalling decisions.

Amen brother

The free against Selwood on the wing was just as farcical. He got the ball, took a step, got tackled which resulted in the ball being knocked loose and was pinged. Then the umpire tells him he's got to try to get rid of it. Bit hard when he didn't have control of the ball in the first place.
Yeah. Couple of rigged moments indeed.

I went to the game and noticed how easy they were able to have 1-2 free off the contest to feed the ball out. In addition, we continuously committed too many to the contest and this allowed them to create some outriders.

After 1/4 time, our defensive set-up for kick-ins was very ordinary. They were able to find an unmarked player on the wing numerous times. This made our easy misses all the more crucial as it gave the ball back to them and we weren't defending well.

Saw this elsewhere and kinda something to ponder - free kicks won count as contested possessions.

The Dogs won the free kick count 28 to 13; +15
The Dogs "won" contested possessions 136 to 125; +11

Remove the free kicks from the contested possessions and it becomes, Cats with 112 to108; so +4 to us.

That kinda indicates we weren't so bad in terms of contested possessions with the ball in play; plus we also won centre clearances 9 to 7 - shows we didn't do well enough when we had our opportunities and left too much to too few

Miers back to the VFL too, was hardly spotted tonight and can take Fogarty with him. This is what happens when you fu** around with a settled team, Parfitt had a bye 2 weeks ago, why does he need a rest?

Because they thought Rohan would perform as a better chip out for Hawk. Lo and behold, there was his red curls roaming around the back line.

Nup. Cats were mashing them at the start of the game.

The one that stood out to me was when we had Miers and Kelly (at least I think it was him, or it might've been Clark) free about 30m out and Miers completely fluffed up a handball when he should've kicked it himself. I think they went coast-to-coast and kicked a goal down the other end soon after too.

We should've been 5 goals up midway through the first term, but were only a goal up after that happened.

The free against Selwood on the wing was just as farcical. He got the ball, took a step, got tackled which resulted in the ball being knocked loose and was pinged. Then the umpire tells him he's got to try to get rid of it. Bit hard when he didn't have control of the ball in the first place.

Then Dunkley is tackled about 2 minutes later and clearly drops it and the umpire says knocked out in the tackle.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The one that stood out to me was when we had Miers and Kelly (at least I think it was him, or it might've been Clark) free about 30m out and Miers completely fluffed up a handball when he should've kicked it himself. I think they went coast-to-coast and kicked a goal down the other end soon after too.

We should've been 5 goals up midway through the first term, but were only a goal up after that happened.
It was Miers & Kelly

Miers didn't fluff the handball because he never actually took possession - it seemed that because Kelly was running alongside him that he decided he'd do the team thing & get the ball to his teammate but he never took hold of the ball in the first place.

If was more selfishn& backed himself to kick the goal, I dare say he would have kicked it no worries

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's right - the old 12 point turnaround.

One other early on in the 2/4 was Blicavs had the opportunity to switch to Duncan who had an overlap all the way up the ground. He hesitated and then went down the line and the ball came back for a goal to the Dogs.

Then Dunkley is tackled about 2 minutes later and clearly drops it and the umpire says knocked out in the tackle.

And that's where frustration grows because of the clear inconsistency in the officiating

I liked the one where a Dogs player got tackled, feigned being tackled high and just laid on top of the ball without even pretending to move the ball on. Ball up.

Then there was the one where a Dogs player went for the don't argue and in the same motion the ball somehow shot out to a teammate standing about 3m away. Apparently that was a legal disposal.

Our hopes rest on a 20 year old KPF returning from a broken leg.

Damning indictment on Fort and Buzza that we’d rather play Henry or Harry forward than either of them.

If Sav isn’t right next week I want Smith in the ruck and Stanley at CHF.

As for the game I thought we would have a dour win until the last 10 minutes. We were clearly the better side for the majority of the game but some wasteful inside 50s and poor goal kicking prevented us from ever getting a match winning lead; the Dogs were always close.

Don’t mind losing to a team that won’t make finals, and I’ve said all year that I think there are only 3 midfields in the comp that can beat us more often than not. The Dogs are one of them (Collingwood and GWS the others).

The free kick count isn't an indication of who got to the ball first - when we got our hands on it first it would be a free kick for holding the ball or some other crap like a throw, Dogs get to it first & unless the umpires had no choice there was minimal frees against the Dogs for holding the ball or throws.

It seemed that every time there was a 50/50 call or even when there didn't need to be a call made, that it was too the advantage of the Dogs

Agree. We got a few holding the ball frees as well but from running them down from behind. However, we got pinged a few times when there was clearly no prior opportunity.

And that's where frustration grows because of the clear inconsistency in the officiating

Couldn't agree with this more. Unfortunately with so many grey areas in the rules and often having 3 umpires who interpret the same rule 3 different ways, we're never going to get consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back